Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Pro-1 Test Pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 04:26 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pro-1 Test Pipes

I apologize because I'm almost certain this is a repost yet I can't seem to find the specific information I'm looking for so here goes:

I just ordered a Pro-1 Y-Pipe and a set of Pro-1 test pipes in hopes of beefing up the stock system for the time being and eventually doing a full exhaust system down the road. I think the Y-Pipe is a good investment but I'm not so sure about the test pipes and I was hoping maybe you guys could help me out.

1. How do test pipes sound with the stock system? Any reccomendations as far as removing resonators, etc when I install them?

2. Are carbon deposits on the rear bumper an issue?

3. Whats the final word on O2 sensors? The pipes come with O2 sensor bungs and supposedly the engine won't through a code but I have read posts of members using O2 simulators anyways.

Your advice is extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Come on, you mean to tell me no one out there has test pipes?

Old 03-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birdman, I believe Moog has the entire Pro-1 exhaust system from the headers, test pipes, Y pipe and exhaust. Shoot him a PM or give him some time and he'll prob. reply! If I had to guess I'd say it'd make the exhaust note raspier and exhaust gas smelly but dont take my word for it..

Old 03-24-2005, 01:29 AM
i did not get any CEL after my install. if it does come up you could always move the o2 sensors down towards the back of the exhaust to trick the comp.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just to let you know...2004.5 G35 coupes (build date 10/3 or later) will throw a CEL (if not right away, it will happen down the road) when equipped with test pipes due to our improved emissions system. 2003's don't have this problem. PM neffster or call Doug Crawford for more details. I just found this out yesterday.

As far as sound, with test pipes...so long as you have resonators ( i don't recommend taking them off) you shouldn't have a raspy exhaust note. Your exhaust note should deepen. Your car may smell due to the unfiltered exhaust fumes.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Resonated test pipes didnt throw a CEL on mine 2003, The car does smell, only to ones nose that would know the smell..... if you put race gas 100+ octane its safe and adds nice power, if theres no reisnators involved than no carbon, the car will always be louder than without, your exhaust will just get a slight rasp, some like it some dont, they def will add power, prob more than the y pipe, the three together will sound good on your stock exhaust, but it will sound cleaner if you were to get a nice exhaust sytem to finish it off... ive have kinetix hi-flo cats, and now kinetix resonated test pipes, i have the pro1 headers waiting to be installed and when i do them im going to put test pipes in instead....with my nismo exhaust will be loud as hell but it will sound mean....

Last edited by chuckd05; 03-24-2005 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Demonteverde321
Just to let you know...2004.5 G35 coupes (build date 10/3 or later) will throw a CEL (if not right away, it will happen down the road) when equipped with test pipes due to our improved emissions system. 2003's don't have this problem. PM neffster or call Doug Crawford for more details. I just found this out yesterday.

As far as sound, with test pipes...so long as you have resonators ( i don't recommend taking them off) you shouldn't have a raspy exhaust note. Your exhaust note should deepen. Your car may smell due to the unfiltered exhaust fumes.
Thanks Demonte. I knew the 2004.5's had ULEV status with different sensors and a beefed up ECU but I'd never heard of any problems so I assumed it was the case with all model year coupes and test pipes. Thanks for the reply, I'll further check into this. If I had to guess, looks like O2 simulators would be the only way around this.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I forgot to mention this. If you add test pipes and you have an aftermarket exhaust like my Borla true dual, and you are stationary and rev the car, you may hear a "hissing" noise during decceleration of revs as it drops back to idle. It's air resonance due to higher flowing test pipes and is something you'll have to live with unless wish to add more resonators to your exhaust system (an infiniti tech told me this).

I have the RT cats and hissing doesn't bother me so long as I know its not an exhaust leak (which sounds more like a "ticking" sound as you accelerate). Plus the deeper tone the cats make, more than makes up for it by putting a smile on my face every time I go full throttle.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:25 AM
Well I spoke to Neff and he was very informative. Basically he said test pipes won't work on any G's with a build date of 10/03 or later (mine is 06/04). Apparently O2 sensors are located in the same postion however instead of having four wires, they have six. This provides our ECU with a more complete reading and thorough monitoring of the exhaust discharge. Therefore, if test pipes are put on an 2004.5 the engine will through a code and the CEL will stay on. Looks like I've got to send my pipes back . Anyone have high flow cats they want to get rid of?

Old 04-17-2005, 11:33 PM
I put in a complete Nismo exhaust system with test pipes, o2 simulator, everything except the manifolds. The system is very loud and very deep. After reving up and letting return to idle, there is a noise from around the resonator. The production is 4/04 and 2 DTC's keep popping up,po138 and po158. Looking for some feedback on my situation.