Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Question about Crawford Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LMG_35C
I'm about to order the Crawford CATS and install them myself. Any tips, did you use ramps or jackstands, or other? What's special about the oxygen sensor socket? Is it really needed?

Appreciate learning from your experience..

Thanks in advance.
Actually when I think about it now, it wasn't that bad. Hardest part was just figuring out how to take out the upper bolts on the stock cats. Some other members mentioned to take the upper bolts off from above (Under the hood). Several long extensions, a flexable elbow attachment, and a breaker bar is what I used. 14mm deep socket will be very helpful. I used a hydraulic floor jack with back up jack stands since my ramps were low. Not too much leverage under the car, so just take your time. The oxygen sensor socket has a slit going down, so you can slip it around the wiring. Without that slit, the wire will be in the way and you cannot use a socket. I had initially used a adjustable wrench and box wrench to try and get it off. Because the heat shield was in the way, I was unable to get a good grip on the sensor and it started to strip. I think the oxygen sensor socket is well worth the $12 from Sears. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2005, 07:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks... I'll look for the special socket. $12 is worth the savings in time and possibly damage control.. Jacks, jack stands and ramps aside, I'm still a bit nervous about working under the car. Had a bad experience a number of years ago with a buddy of mine...a bit too careless though. Perhaps I can find a local shop that will let me rent their bay on an off day.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did everyone get their Crawford cats?....off the crawford site, performance nissan, etc? What's the average price for them....around $500?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
I bought mine directly through Crawford Z.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:19 AM
I got mine from Performance Nissan Parts. Reason why I went with them was because I bought sways at the same time. Price was the same as directly from Crawford.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Just got mine installed today. There was some major bending and prying to get them to fit. After all the work no rattles so I'm happy.

Exhaust note is slightly louder, with slight butt dyno improvements.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Curious to know if Crawford provides any instructions (don't see them on web site)? Did you guys remove all the upper bolts to the headers first, and then drop the CATS down by removing the bolts at the Y-Pipe? How did you handle this weight? Are the Oxygen sensors disconnected with the battery being disconnected first, or unplugged before they're dropped?

I'm just trying to visualize the install and all the DIY postings don't seem to answer these few questions... I guess I just can't wait to make it happen.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by LMG_35C
Curious to know if Crawford provides any instructions (don't see them on web site)? Did you guys remove all the upper bolts to the headers first, and then drop the CATS down by removing the bolts at the Y-Pipe? How did you handle this weight? Are the Oxygen sensors disconnected with the battery being disconnected first, or unplugged before they're dropped?

I'm just trying to visualize the install and all the DIY postings don't seem to answer these few questions... I guess I just can't wait to make it happen.
No instructions with my Crawfords. I loosened the upper bolts first, then the lower, then the y pipe. I don't think it would matter which ones are loosened first. I you want, you can use a jack stand to hold up the y pipe. It will pretty much hang there without anything under, but I put a jack stand just in case. I disconnected thebattery before I started the whole process, then the O2 sensors later. I don't think it should make a difference if the sensors are disconnected before the battery. As long as the ignition is not on. From a potential bad experience in the past, I try to disconnect the battery when probing around the engine bay with ratchet extensions and sockets. The stock cats are heavier than they look, so don't let it slip and fall or you'll have a big lump on your head. Godd luck.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday
Just got mine installed today. There was some major bending and prying to get them to fit. After all the work no rattles so I'm happy.

Exhaust note is slightly louder, with slight butt dyno improvements.
What had to be bent or pryed so much? Was it the driver side heat shield?

Old 07-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes most of the times is the drives side heat shield

Old 07-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by rock
What had to be bent or pryed so much? Was it the driver side heat shield?
Yes the heat shield on the driver side but that was just the start. At the top both cats were rubbing again the the floor of the car. The passenger was easy, a quick pry with a crow bar the cat moved away from the floor.

The driver side was real bitch we had to loosen and pry and retighten. Then we still had to bend the cat shield back a bit to stop rubbing when the engine torqued.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Yes the heat shield on the driver side but that was just the start. At the top both cats were rubbing again the the floor of the car. The passenger was easy, a quick pry with a crow bar the cat moved away from the floor.

The driver side was real bitch we had to loosen and pry and retighten. Then we still had to bend the cat shield back a bit to stop rubbing when the engine torqued.

Wow! Guess I was lucky with my install. I just hammered the heat shield. Didn't drive it much since then, so hopefully everything stays rattle/rub free.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:40 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My driver side cat only needed a quick try with a crowbar and it was fixed, passenger side was never a problem. Do you have an 05? 05's seem to have more fitment issues/rattles with the Crawfords.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Finiti35
My driver side cat only needed a quick try with a crowbar and it was fixed, passenger side was never a problem. Do you have an 05? 05's seem to have more fitment issues/rattles with the Crawfords.

Yah, 05' 6MT sedan so it might just be that different.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Oxygen Sensor - socket size?

Can anyone confirm the socket size needed for the oxygen sensor??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about Crawford Cats