Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Question about Crawford Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Crawford Cats

I am considering a swap to the Crawford Cats.

Can anyone tell me if I will have any difficulty passing emissions testing in NY State?

Old 05-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Hey RacerX, why are you swapping to Crawford? I had ordered the Crawford Cats last week too, can't wait till they arrive here. I'm interested in hearing what other owners have to say about them also.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:53 AM
u will not have any problems

Old 05-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by C-Keith
Hey RacerX, why are you swapping to Crawford?
Hoping to gain some power.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:56 AM
I also heard some rumors about the HF cats rubbing against the metal heat shield when the car is under alot of tourque, I guess you have to bend the heat shield a little, is this all true?

Old 05-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Vic
C-Keith, yep it's true.. I have bent the heatshield, but I still can hear rattling sound under some heavy torque. I have to bent it some more..
I guess this is not only an issue for crawford cats, any other resonated cats out there will have this issue.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:46 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-Keith: If you have them installed at Lokey they'll bend the driver side heatshield for ya.

Last edited by Finiti35; 10-13-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks Finiti35 for your input, I've been kinda nervous about the whole "rattle issue" with the HF cats. John had order the set for me, should arrive sometime this week (depends on this holiday weekend), I just hope the mechanic @ Lokey know what I'm taking about and doesn't give me the ? look.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Never enough
With mine I just took a hammer to the driver outside cat. Just pound the metal down. Ive had no problems.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:08 PM
No Problem here. Fitment and Finish are great with the Crawfords.

Lou

Attached Thumbnails Question about Crawford Cats-h-pipe0.jpg  
Old 05-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Never enough
What exhaust is that?

Old 05-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Florida G35 Club
Thanks Finiti35 for your input, I've been kinda nervous about the whole "rattle issue" with the HF cats. John had order the set for me, should arrive sometime this week (depends on this holiday weekend), I just hope the mechanic @ Lokey know what I'm taking about and doesn't give me the ? look.

John @ Lokey is a great guy. You should have no problems at all with him or his tech's
For some reason the 2005 has more of a problem with clearance. The driver side heat shield needs to be massaged a bit and the passenger side floor may need on one of the corners rounded off on the floor of the car. Its possible that the 2005 motor mounts hold the engine a bit higher than the early versions. I bet when your drive her home you will have a big smile. Pasta

Old 05-30-2005, 12:10 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I drove around some more, this time with the Bose off Under a lot of torque there seems to be slight vibrating sound, barely noticeable, but it's nowhere near a rattle and I'm not sure that isn't just a normal sound from the cats at those RPM. I'll have my tech bend the heatshield when I go for an oil change just for peace of mind. You'll love them, they made a huge difference on my car but I'm not changing the exhaust, you lucky person have the HKS, I'm really curious to hear how it sounds with the cats. Sean has promised me a ride on June 11, I think you're the next person I'm going to ask for a ride...

GEE, I agree with you, the Lokey guys have performed the same install on so many cars already, I'm sure they know what they're doing! I never had a problem with the passenger side though, the rattle I had which mysteriously disappeared in 5 min was on the driver side and the vibration I hear now is coming from the driver side too.

Last edited by Finiti35; 05-30-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Finiti35
Well I drove around some more, this time with the Bose off Under a lot of torque there seems to be slight vibrating sound, barely noticeable, but it's nowhere near a rattle and I'm not sure that isn't just a normal sound from the cats at those RPM. I'll have my tech bend the heatshield when I go for an oil change just for peace of mind.
this is the same vibration i was telling you about during my "drive it like you stole it test drive" def coming from your drivers side.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:01 AM
Florida G35 Club
The driver side is one tricky one to get right.
I swear the driver side heat shield comes back to where it was.
I spent 12 hours on the header install and another 2 hours on the shields.
Like I said you will be one happy camper on your drive home.
Pasta

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about Crawford Cats