Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Borla rattle using stock hangers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:35 AM
National G Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla rattle using stock hangers

Has anyone else experienced a rattling with their Borla when using the stock rubber hanger? Im pretty sure Ive isolated it to the rear one. Heres a pick showing the one in question. It only rattles at around 1200 RPM right now, so its not that of a deal, just really annoying.

Attached Thumbnails Borla rattle using stock hangers-borla-rubbing.jpg  

Last edited by Pathis; 08-12-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Pathis
Has anyone else experienced a rattling with their Borla when using the stock rubber hanger? Im pretty sure Ive isolated it to the rear one. Heres a pick showing the one in question. It only rattles at around 1200 RPM right now, so its not that of a deal, just really annoying.
FINALLY!! Someone else has the same problem that I am having with mine! I tried to locate exactly where the rattle is coming from, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it. It makes a subtle rattle sound at idle, and it goes away once you go about 1500 rpm. If you found out that yours was something to do with the stock hanger, I but mine is the same. Let me know if you find out some way to fix this, I would appreciate it.

And not only is mine rattling, but I can't for the life of me get the damn thing to align properly so that both tips are centered in the curves in the bumper. I had it installed at a dealership, and when I went to pick it up the thing was completely crooked and hanging down about 1" lower on the left side. So I had them raise it back up, loosen everything up, and then try to straighten it out. And even after playing with it for about an hour, with me under the car helping them out, we thought we had it right and tightened everything up, but then when we lowered it down and looked at it they were still off-center to the left. Has anyone else had this problem getting the thing centered?

Old 08-24-2005, 05:11 AM
National G Club
Hmmm, didnt have the alignment issue. Mine is definetly in there pretty snug. Im pretty positive the rattling is coming from that hanger. I tried to pad it down with some thermal tape and it did quiet it down for a bit but its started back up again.

Ill be going under the car soon for the sways so Im going to try to pad that area down again with something a little more permanent.

Thanks for the response! I was thinking I was the only G driver that had a Borla Exhaust!!!

Old 08-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
No, I'd say the vast majority of G35 owners on this website that have aftermarket exhaust.......have the Borla.

I have Borla and it's perfect!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the Borla on my G35 coupe with no issues. My brother has it on his 350z and gets a rattle from that same hanger. I believe it was due to a faulty install, though. His friend that did the install had the right and left pieces with the resonators reversed and tried to make it fit that way. After he had tweaked it and realized it was not going to work, he installed it correctly but it never quite fit right after that. The right tip hangs a little lower than the left and the hanger you have pictured is up tight against the bracket. I spent a couple hours under his car one night but could not fix it simply by re-aligning the pieces. I suspect it will take some bending to get it right, but I didn't want to try that in case I would just make it worse.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:50 PM
DJM
Originally Posted by Pathis
I don't know if this helps any, but I had a similar rattle with the stock exhaust. I took it in to the dealer and they fixed it saying I had rocks wedged between my heat shield and exhaust,....go figure. Well, no more rattle now.
It looks like the hanger bolt is touching the exhaust pipe from your pic, is thats what is causing the rattle?
By the way, how is the performance?
Good Luck

Old 09-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
No rattle.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Had the rattle on mine when my Borla was first installed. It was annoying as heck and happened at the same rpm you mentioned. Passenger side pipe (that connects to the muffler) was hitting a suspension part or bolt (or maybe it was the hanger rattling, not sure). Took it back to the muffler shop and had them rotate the pipe a little. Problem solved.