Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Nismo Cold Intake vs. OEM Z Tube w/ K&N??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have had a injen CAI on my celica and my jetta no water suckin problems and the overall gains r gonna be a lot better plus the cai sounds just nasty when its suckin in air... injen all the way

Old 11-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done Injen - - took it out; nothing against Injen, but the tech installed in wrong and it chocked my AC line...my Coupe literally died on the Highway!

Highly recommend AEM CAI+plenum spacer+stillen true-dual cat-back: This combo is about as good as it gets. My '03 Coupe is like the 'Thrilla in Manila' (as Ali used to say); exhaust note and HP gains are amazing!!!

Old 11-26-2005, 09:26 PM
I have the K&N CAI...it's alot cheaper than the injen's and stillen's, and it sounds great. You get a huge 'throaty' difference when you hit the throttle And if you look around on ebay, you can pick one up for ~$100 which is about what you'll pay for a Z-tube so I went K&N.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Injen CAI for about 4 months, noticable gains plus a soothing sound

Old 11-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ahhhh!

Dumb me, I didn't catch the abbrev. for Cold Air. I thought ya'll were quoting a "brand", LOL.

Well, I'm still undecided. I see the STILLEN online and it looks like a nice kit, but I hear good things about the Z-Tube + K&N Filter Combo. I guess it's just a guessing game plus a decision on how much you want to spend right?

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS SHOPPING FOR Stillen, K&N CAI, Injen etc??

Last edited by WhiteonWheat; 11-27-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat
Ahhhh!

Dumb me, I didn't catch the abbrev. for Cold Air. I thought ya'll were quoting a "brand", LOL.

Well, I'm still undecided. I see the STILLEN online and it looks like a nice kit, but I hear good things about the Z-Tube + K&N Filter Combo. I guess it's just a guessing game plus a decision on how much you want to spend right?

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS SHOPPING FOR Stillen, K&N CAI, Injen etc??
Why don't you just get both? The Stillen Intake system and the Z-Tube. If you ever want to go FI in the future, this intake combination will not interfere with the supercharger. Unlike the INJEN CAI which will have fitment issues wiht the Stillen Intercooler.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Premier Member

Best intake is the Stillen or the K&N and stock. Nismo or Injen or a few other long CAIs do not perform as well due to how far the air has to travel. They have shown loss of power on the dyno over the first two I mentioned. Stillen CAI pulls cold air. Remember, the closer you get to the HOT ground, the less cold air you get. The best place to pull the air is where the stock/stillen intake gets it from.

Guys,

I'm ready for my FIRST mod as small and simple as it may be.

I was wondering which would be the best "bang for the buck":

A.) Nismo [[OR ANY OTHER FULL COLD AIR INTAKE...Meaning the tube extends the entire way down towards the front bottom of the car to catch the coldest air]]

OR THE

B.) Stillen Hi Flow Air Box along with the OEM Z Tube.

Any advise or suggestions are MOST welcome.

Thanks Guys!

Old 12-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

I think that's what I'm going to do: Get the Stillen AND the Z-Tube.

Maybe it will be a mixed of "Best of Both Worlds"...

What do ya'll think? Will I see any difference between the K&N DROP IN filter vs. the Stillen Kit with the Cone Filter etc etc...

???

Old 12-16-2005, 01:03 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that's what I'm going to do: Get the Stillen AND the Z-Tube.

Maybe it will be a mixed of "Best of Both Worlds"...

What do ya'll think? Will I see any difference between the K&N DROP IN filter vs. the Stillen Kit with the Cone Filter etc etc...

???
There is no comparison between the two different setups: I started out with the Z-tube plus the flat panel K&N filter in the stock Air box. There is a more agressive growl from the Z tube, but that's about it. Now...with the Stillen HiFlow AirBox combined with the Z-tube....Talk about some noise from your intake! Wowa.....When you get on the gas, everyone around you is gonna know it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.