Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Header Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header Install

I'm considering buying a set of headers, but before I do I'd like to really find out how difficult the install will be? I've installed a bunch of things on my car myself already including the MREV and some sway bars. Assuming I get a set that I would not have to lift the motor (like Alphawerks), does this seem like something I could do with the help of a friend? I've got some basic hand tools that have served me well so far. I consider myself a pretty handy guy, and I'm pretty comfortable around most technical things. I'd like to really do all the work myself, but from everything I've read it seems like a real pain.

So what do you guys think? Something I can do myself? or will I end up taking it to a shop?

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Its not extreme, but it is time consuming. Count on an all day adventure. For a car under warantee, it is always cool to bring it to the dealer for install of involved, aftermarket stuff involving the drivetrain. It may be more expensive up front, but if anything goes wrong down the road, they eat it. If you do it yourself, you eat it. Just a thought.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Pm sent.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 PM
THE BATMOBILE
take it to a shop unless your really good with cars

Old 12-14-2005, 01:08 PM
pita!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by luongdmd
pita!!!!!!
But worth it IMO. I luv my Crawfords.

Lou

Old 12-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by truplay8
take it to a shop unless your really good with cars
werd. I own a shop and work on cars all day long, the first time I did my header install, wow. It took me like 6hrs and using a lift and a full shop of tools. I couldn't imagine doing it at home with hand tools.

If you do decide to do it yourself. One piece of advise, be sure to mark the steering shaft location before you take it apart and be sure you put it back the right way.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
My Crawford Headers were the first set put on by an Infiniti dealership in FL. I got there at 8AM and had to leave the car overnight they had a tough time. Now that they have installed a few sets it's only a couple hours worth of work. Not something I would recommend doing unless you have done it before.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Florida G35 Club
Watch out! For any header install. My Crawfords took me 12 hr. by myself.
I still have the scars on my arms for that install. You will need gloves, And wrap your arms with something. So many sharp parts on this car. I swear that Gorillas tighten the bolts on this car. Busted a few sockets along with my knuckles.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
installing headers is difficult....no doubt, but if your patient and take your time you can gain a big shot of satisfaction if you like to DIY!.....it took me 2 days by myself on the garage floor....i used 4 car ramps, but it was very tight under there! lots of wiggling around to get in just the right spot......a bunch of different length extensions is a must.....swivels and deep sockets are also helpful........i found a really good DIY here....its lists special tools and hints all thru the instruction......

http://www.350zforum.com/tech/NISMOR...neheaders.aspx

i would do it again

Old 12-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Wow, I'm not sure if that guide encouraged me or scared me. I'd love to give it a try but it does seem to be a long, involved process. I think I'll study the guide some more before I attack my car. It's not really about the money to pay for the install, or finding a shop to do so. I'd just really like to do as much as possible by myself.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by TrojanG
Wow, I'm not sure if that guide encouraged me or scared me. I'd love to give it a try but it does seem to be a long, involved process. I think I'll study the guide some more before I attack my car. It's not really about the money to pay for the install, or finding a shop to do so. I'd just really like to do as much as possible by myself.
the satisfaction of doing anything DIY is usually worth it, which is why i try to DIY most things if i can. if you can afford to have the G outta commission for a day or 2 (or more depending on if you have trouble) then give it a shot. since i personally drive me G daily i gave it to a shop to do, but i wish i was able to have the time to DIY it

Old 12-16-2005, 09:38 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the DIY is a step by step process.........very good instructions with pictures to help .........i had no problem following the DIY.....but you still need to use good judgement and think before you perform each step.....read the whole thing a couple of times to familarize yourself with all the steps....some of the steps do not include detailed instructions cause a basic level of mechanical knowledge is assumed, but all the steps are there......search here for header install and pick up a few more tips.....have all the tools and refreshments ready to go .....