Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

If I run Test pipes and get a CEL is my engine in safe mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I run Test pipes and get a CEL is my engine in safe mod?

Just curious about test pipes and if I will throw a code. I have an 05 with Bassani exhaust and the MREV(hasn't arrived yet). Anyways, if I do get test pipes and toss a code does the engine go into safe mode(limp mode) something like that. Or do I just have to live with the stupid light on my gauge cluster.

Or does some company make an inline plug that will allow you to run without convertors? I would like to run test pipes(resonated) simply because they are cheaper then a catted set and also I don't have to worry about them plugging up down the road.

Sorry I tried searching, but honestly the answers in some of the threads are all hear say and no one seems to give a solid answer.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-29-2006, 10:08 PM
You will just see a CEL. If your car goes into safe mode, then basically it wont rev beyond 2k rpm, and you will have to keep restarting your car...drive..restart....drive...etc. until you get home. Test pipes DO NOT put your car into safe mod.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:16 AM
This CEL is just a notification of a OBD-II Code, so it will tell you that there`s something happened, but the biggest problem is that it might be another problem happened and you dont know because of the CEL already on for the O2 Sensors.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:36 AM
1. Buy 2 pairs of HELP 42002 sparkplug no-foulers
2. Drill out the small hole on the end with a 1/2"drill on 2 of them.
3. Thread the non-drilled ones into the drilled ones.
4. Thread the result of step 3 into the test pipes
5. Thread the O2 sensors into the no-foulers.

No CEL light.

Obviously, this is only to be done on the O2 sensors nearest the rear of the car. If you do it to the ones closest to the engine, it will be very unhappy.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IlirG
You will just see a CEL. If your car goes into safe mode, then basically it wont rev beyond 2k rpm, and you will have to keep restarting your car...drive..restart....drive...etc. until you get home. Test pipes DO NOT put your car into safe mod.
^^

personally, i would go w/ high flow cats - initially i was going w/ test pipes, but changed to h-f cats mainly because power gains ist he same, still get a loud *** growl from the exhaust, BUT you don't have to smell exhaust fumes all the time (big plus) and you don't have to worry about your engine running too lean.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
^^

personally, i would go w/ high flow cats - initially i was going w/ test pipes, but changed to h-f cats mainly because power gains ist he same, still get a loud *** growl from the exhaust, BUT you don't have to smell exhaust fumes all the time (big plus) and you don't have to worry about your engine running too lean.
Personally I think high flow cats are a waist of money...but hey you know what they say about opinions....

Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Personally I think high flow cats are a waist of money...but hey you know what they say about opinions....
....that those who like test pipes have had their brain-cells killed by all the exhaust gases? ^_^

Old 01-30-2006, 06:54 PM
no... their brain cells where killed by reading your posts ^_^

Old 01-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Yes, you will get a CEL. No, it will not be in safe mode.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:39 PM
no... their brain cells where killed by reading your posts ^_^
haha

Old 02-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys! If only the light shows up then I can live with that for a while. Sure beats spending like $375+ for a set of high flow cats that may or may not plug up down the road. My younger brother runs headers, o/r midpipe and catback on his mustang and the exhaust smell is not that bad. My older brothers 383 S-10 has a pretty bad exhaust smell, but the truck was not built for luxury or comfort. I really don't imagine the smell being all that bad so I will try some test pipes out.

Thanks ballisticus for the info, I will try that out if I get a CEL.

Right now I gotta install my new MREV that just came in. Can't wait.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:58 PM
You WILL get a CEL with test pipes. No doubt about it. Install the no-foulers in the testpipes before you install on the car. That way you dont have to get under there again and have to reset the ECU. Its $10 in parts, why wait?

Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Might as well wrap them with high-temp header wrap beforehand too. That way they wont ring and rasp you into taking them off. They do make excellent power, but you have to do some stuff to make them liveable on a street car.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by ballisticus
Might as well wrap them with high-temp header wrap beforehand too. That way they wont ring and rasp you into taking them off. They do make excellent power, but you have to do some stuff to make them liveable on a street car.
Thanks for the input man!

Old 02-03-2006, 05:05 AM
Go with the Crawford cats...eventually with the non-fouler adapeters...you'll get a SES light. I have both non-foulers installed and I'm getting a P0166 and P0172 both relating to the O2 and rich mixture because of the O2. Hopefully when I send my ECM for a reflash, that will all be fixed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If I run Test pipes and get a CEL is my engine in safe mod?