Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Installed JWT POP charger, protect or move the ac line?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's hard to tell, because obv. im driving the car when it makes that sound...kind of a whistle/squeak (but not a whistle you'd "normally" get from a pop charger/ztube...this sounds bad...what does spray silicon do? Never used it before..

Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silicon spray lubricates rubber and plastics so a shot in the right place would make the squeak, rub, whatever temporarily go away giving you a general location of where its coming from. (Silicon spray is also great stuff to rejuvenate your door seals etc.). I have the Stillen Z tube and air intake - so far no squeaks. I would recheck all clamps and screws to make sure they are tight then I guess worst case you would have to drop the splash pan and look up from the bottom to see if there is a tight spot that might be rubbing - or worse yet, pull everything out and reinstall. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Whoa. After reading your post a second time, I realize that this could be a rushing air noise and not a rub thing. If that's the case, I would definitely check all the fittings for proper seal.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I think everything sealed..i dont know though...but i will check again next time i have a free "day"...everytime ive installed or un-installed, ive kind of rushed things...(my buddy matt, installed my ztube for me the first time, and i never heard any noise, but after i put the popcharger on, and did that myself...is when i started hearing the noise..maybe youre right?? maybe there is an air "leak" or something? i dont know...if anything..it would be from the throttle body side, cause the side near the MAS should be good, but we'll see..

Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Ok, good luck. That spray silicon stuff is also handy when you are fitting pipes and rubber couplings together - use sparingly.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
i just feel like the sort of noise it makes, doesnt sound like "air"...sounds like metal on metal maybe? or something..

Old 04-10-2009, 04:15 PM
A metal on metal sounds sort of goes back to the "rub" theory. I guess your best bet is to pull components off and reinstall.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
That's what i'll do tomorrow. It sort of sounds like bad brakes...mixed w/ like a chirp sound...i dont know...ill put the filter on tomorrow, and ill use my video camera and try and record while driving. (if the sound still persists)

Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 PM
OK, guys...i'm a dumbazz... my buddy came over just as I had finished installing my ztube/popcharger...and he tells me that it is SUPPOSED to sound like that. hahah. He has an intake in his v8 truck, and we went for a ride in both mine and his, and they sound the same....unbelievable...

I'm not stupid when it comes to cars...but ive had a cone filter and tube on my old lancer and it did NOT suck in air like this does..it's very quiet on that car, but i guess b/c of this engine, it's loud..I've got some videos...err let me see if these work

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i_tFIzM50Aw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i_tFIzM50Aw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9bghFIUBJvw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9bghFIUBJvw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpzu238HyBk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpzu238HyBk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I guess just a bump re: that squeak sound. I initially thought that I had a rub, or a leak somewhere too because I had the same squeaking sound (usually when getting on the throttle, at around 3-4k rpms) but was told it was pretty normal.

As someone who had been driving boosted vehicles the last 7 years, it was new to me too and thought something was wrong . Either that, or my G had acquired a weird sounding BOV.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I have this issue with my R2C intake. I removed the bracket that was rubbing but there is still not enough clearance so i guess im gonna have to get some foam insulation to put on that line...

Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 AM
I would like to thank all of you for your ideas as I just noticed my a/c line was rubbing. I used a tie to pull back the a/c line just about a centimer or two. I was not able to find my electrical tape as soon as I get some more I will add something to protect it even more. I also wanted to post a picture but Photobucket is doing a maintenance on their site. Thanks once again to all of you!!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Derek S
Nope, not much sound at all, you'll only get a whistling sound if you just put on the pop charger, its the pop charger and z tube combo that makes the difference
Would you recommend the JWT or the stillen high flow aribox? I recently purchased the Z Tube and debating on what filter/airbox to get. thanks for the info. I see the only downside of Stillen is the price, but I like the factory look/function of it. THANKS!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:46 AM
It depends how you set the bracket on the filter. Mine is about 1inch 1/2 from the AC Line.. Ill keep a close eye on it. but i dont think theres gonna be any issue

Old 04-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by P.Money
It depends how you set the bracket on the filter. Mine is about 1inch 1/2 from the AC Line.. Ill keep a close eye on it. but i dont think theres gonna be any issue
Glad I found this thread! My ac line was already taking a beating! I moved the fastener to the top and had some clear rubber tubing that fight right around the ac line. Problem solved!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed JWT POP charger, protect or move the ac line?