Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

topspeed header install, need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation topspeed header install, need help!

got the stock headers off, trying to tighten the factory nuts/bolts for the headers to the engine... the pipes are fat so there's really almost no room to stick a socket or wrench them tight. the pipe bulges right next to where the nuts are

How did you guys do some of these nuts for the DIY'ers? any help appreciated.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i had mine installed they said 1 side fit perfectly w/ lots of room, the other was a serious pain in the *** to do because there was 0 room. They got it....eventually....after a lot of swearing

Old 05-01-2006, 08:03 PM
your going to be real mad when they crack like mine did and you have to take them off again.. sure there a little cheaper on price but there ALOT cheaper on quality.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by james731
your going to be real mad when they crack like mine did and you have to take them off again.. sure there a little cheaper on price but there ALOT cheaper on quality.

You're saying that Topspeed headers are cheap and will crack??? Who did you buy yours from?

Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
then you got a dud (could just as easily happen w/ Crawfords) or some older version - welds and build construction on my set was top notch. Lots of people on here have been running them 2-3+yrs w/o any problems...actually, you're the first person I think to mention of them cracking that i've ever read

edit: *scratches head* according to this you never even installed them and sold them -> https://g35driver.com/forums/search....archid=1055118 or did you try to sell cracked headres to somebody claiming they were new?

Last edited by 99atlantic; 05-02-2006 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
very interesting find 99atlantic. May be he couldn't sell then, then decide to install them, and they crack?

But then again, why would he want to sell in the the first place if it's new?

Old 05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
i tryed to sell like a year ago after i saw the design was ****.. but desided to put on after i took out and build the motor.. and if you look them up youll see others have had problems also. and if you know anyhting about headers take a look at the them, first of all there very thin metal and loud, especually if you have internal mods like i do, plus the forward pipe runs on top the rear two pipes going back, which makes it very difficult to install, plus the bends start right away wich makes it hard to put a wrench over the bolts. i ended up replacing with stillen's and like them MUCH more, alot better power ban, and im really not a big fan of stillen. agian, just bacause you got them for 200 doesnt mean there a good buy. mine cracked on both sides at the middle point where the three tubes connect. i could have just been runing to much power through them but i wouldnt recommend them or any other knock off brand.

Last edited by james731; 05-03-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:46 PM
i tryed to sell like a year ago after i saw the design was ****.. but desided to put on after i took out and build the motor.. and if you look them up youll see others have had problems also. and if you know anyhting about headers take a look at the them, first of all there very thin metal and loud, especually if you have internal mods like i do, plus the forward pipe runs on top the rear two pipes going back, which makes it very difficult to install, plus the bends start right away wich makes it hard to put a wrench over the bolts. i ended up replacing with stillen's and like them MUCH more, alot better power ban, and im really not a big fan of stillen. agian, just bacause you got them for 200 doesnt mean there a good buy. mine cracked on both sides at the middle point where the three tubes connect. i could have just been runing to much power through them but i wouldnt recommend them or any other knock off brand.

...although you're the first person i've ever read here or my350z that's had problems with them.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
what are you a seller for these or something? sound like you have have alot of love for them, either that or you cant stand to hear you bought cheap parts. well... i would recommend looking into it alittle more if you actually think that im the only one, i know im not the first to have problems though, or maybe i just can tell the diffrence of quality, who knows.... but if you want to spend 400 having a tech put 200 dollar headers, i would not recommend these, especually if your DIY because of the forward runner traveling over the middle and back runner, just like the first guy was having problems with, theres WAY better designs out there (unless you want to drop the engine), cause it will prob take the same amount of time to do as trying with the engine in.. if your budget is tight and you really want hearders i woul recommend megan... ive seen a few pair and they seem pretty solid.

Last edited by james731; 05-03-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 PM
I agree with 99 atlantic. I haven't seen anyone complained about their Topspeed headers broken. I'm not saying there aren't any, but none have posted so far.

Also, the reason I went with these because they're cheap. $200 shipped, can't beat that. I chose it also because Tony of MD is having them. He put them on and tested that. I trusted the guy, that's why.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
I'm 99.9% certain this is not a header leak, but I just wanted to ask to be certain (just got my headers and hfc's installed) - in 1st gear from 4k to 7k RPM it sounds like my engine has a blow-off valve - under WOT it makes a REALLY loud TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS sound - I first thought this was a header leak, but it's only in 1st, only at that RPM range, and oddly enough, previously (from the spacer) in that range I was a whistling sound, so I guess headers + hfc + spacer = TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS instead of a whistling noise?

I have no sudden loss of power anywhere in the curve, no hissing sound at idle, and like i said, only udner WOT in 1st gear from 4-7k

.....in any case, the TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS is pretty cool ^_^ (As long as it isn't a leak ^_^ )
you said your self you have a problem.. thats a leak genius.. i bet if you felt atleast one side where the 3 pipes connect there youll find a leak.. wow.. you know alot about cars...

Last edited by james731; 05-04-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:14 AM
you said your self you have a problem.. thats a leak genius.. i bet if you felt atleast one side where the 3 pipes connect there youll find a leak.. wow.. you know alot about cars...
it's not a leak, it's the increased air volume induction. I was just being paranoid....genius....wow....you know a lot about cars (although maybe it was a leak and the other people on my350z who said they had similar noises w/ other brands of headers also have leaks!!!!)

what are you a seller for these or something? sound like you have have alot of love for them, either that or you cant stand to hear you bought cheap parts. well... i would recommend looking into it alittle more if you actually think that im the only one, i know im not the first to have problems though, or maybe i just can tell the diffrence of quality, who knows.... but if you want to spend 400 having a tech put 200 dollar headers, i would not recommend these, especually if your DIY because of the forward runner traveling over the middle and back runner, just like the first guy was having problems with, theres WAY better designs out there (unless you want to drop the engine), cause it will prob take the same amount of time to do as trying with the engine in.. if your budget is tight and you really want hearders i woul recommend megan... ive seen a few pair and they seem pretty solid.

yes, I know they're cheap copies, but guess what, they're also good ones. I had my installer (runs his own performance shop, been doing cars 40+yrs) compare them and my Strup headers. EXACT same build/weld/material quality. (i ended up selling the strup for a profit too because i picked them up super cheap ^_^ )

Last edited by 99atlantic; 05-04-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:16 AM
lol... sure what ever you say... strup headers are just like topspeed... your the man. go back to watching fast and the furious, im sure youll get alot of good cheap mod ideas. maybe your shop can make you a exhaust just like the RSR exhaust next.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:54 AM
if your budget is tight and you really want hearders i woul recommend megan... ive seen a few pair and they seem pretty solid.
wow, you bashed Topspeed, Strup, but support Megan?

I don't know what you said man or what experience you had with them. Just because one goes bad, doesn't mean all are.

I'm waiting for Tony from Motordyne to chime in because he had them and dynoed them before.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:46 AM

I'm in the middle of dealing with a header leak and from what you described, you don't have one. If your header was leaking from where t it mounts to the engine you'd hear a twap, twap, twap or blat, blat, blat, if you prefer. It's the sound of the combustion, so it pulses. It's not a continuous hiss. That's most likely induction.

For leak, think of the sound of Fred Sanford's truck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: topspeed header install, need help!