Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

MREV-V2 Added to 0.5” MD Cooper Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveO
The part of the shoot out you're talking about was done using a stock 287HP 6-speed 350Z. IMO adding intake and exhaust mods may change the "winner".

Also Motordyne's 1/2" spacer is still available and there's no plans to discontinue it at this time.

DaveO
Dave, since it's your article and you have vast knowledge... what are your thoughts on 1/2" vs 5/16"?... bone stock the number are clear - you indicated that intake and exhaust would change the values... What my original post stated was that I find it hard to believe there would be a notable difference with lower collector. By no means am I an expert, from what I've seen and read, the two are too close to value one over the other... and therefore the previous dyno results using 5/16" wouldn’t be much different had he used 1/2".

However, I didn’t pay attention the mods he has (maybe they weren’t even listed). So I am not indicating the lower collector wouldn’t work for different applications - I just don’t think the two sizes of spacers would make enough difference to be an issue.

I defer to you - I have always valued your opinion.

BTW - as far as 1/2" production, I guess I stand corrected. When I purchased mine Tony had just released the 5/16" and I thought I remembered him indicating he wasn’t going to continue to 1/2"... Either I misunderstood or he changed his mind.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dovla, is it safe to assume that the dyno graphs are correct and that you felt no improvement from adding the MREV-2? It also looks like you didn't lose anything either??? Thanks.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg35, my butt-dyno felt no difference yet, not that my wallet would agree.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Wasn't it showned that the MREV+ had no gains with the 1/2 spacers that was why it only came with the 5/16 spacers? If that was true with the MREV+, so why would you think the MREV v2 would work with the 1/2 spacers? The MREV v2 is a modified MREV+.

I believe u would see better gains with the 5/16 spacers + the MREV v2.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
Wasn't it showned that the MREV+ had no gains with the 1/2 spacers that was why it only came with the 5/16 spacers? If that was true with the MREV+, so why would you think the MREV v2 would work with the 1/2 spacers? The MREV v2 is a modified MREV+.

i think it's the same thing - the mrev++ put out roughly the same amount of power as just a 5/16'' spacer. adding a spacer ot the mrev++ (or alternatively adding an mrev++ to just the spacer) only gave +2 or 3 more hp.........so really it doesn't do that much.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Mr_pharmD, the same reason(s) that let us believe that MREV+ will now provide gains on non-rev-up engine.

I will give up my 1/2” spacer for nothing. OK, only if it will interfere with FI one day.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
i think it's the same thing - the mrev++ put out roughly the same amount of power as just a 5/16'' spacer. adding a spacer ot the mrev++ (or alternatively adding an mrev++ to just the spacer) only gave +2 or 3 more hp.........so really it doesn't do that much.
Perhaps . . . However, the big question for many of us is . . . With regard to the RevUp engines, which is where the original MREV shined, . . . Will the MREV 2 installed with a 5/16" spacer afford more power under the curve, as did the MREV and MREV+?

The original focus for the RevUp engines installed with the original MREV set-up was not peak power . . . But additional power under the curve from the mid to upper mid ranges, which is what we got with much success.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by 99atlantic

The spacers + the MREV v2 combined might produce only 2-3extra peak hp is fine with me. I have maxed out my bolt on options with cats, exhaust, pulleys, spacers, intake, headers and even unichip. So if I can add a few extra ponies and stay away from cams, nos or FI then I'm willing to pay to still have a safe and reliable engine.

Dovla: As for the 1/2 spacers + the MREV v2. I understand the need to dyno it to be certain of the outcome but I have also read other post that you were disappointed from the dyno results on my350z and I just want to clarify the facts before u blame Tony for not telling you in the first place that the 1/2 spacers combined with v2 produced little gains.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 05-08-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Mr_pharmD, I blame nobody, and Tony couldn’t tell me because no one tried it yet.

There are many disappointed MD users with my dyno. Why? Because all of us with spacer still cant wipe out our smiles, so when new MD product arrived and unexpectedly showed minimal or no gains or loss, yes, it was disappointment. More so because it came from company that is way above others in this sea of shady companies with false claim products.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:48 AM
The results showed minimal and no gains bc it was already tested with the MREV+ that the 1/2 spacers were not synergistic when combined together. I believe that was the reason why the MREV+ and 1/2 spacers were never sold as a package deal. As I mention earlier, the MREV v2 is a ported version of the MREV+, therefore, the results should not have been a surprise to anyone that the gains were not seen when both are quite similar products.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I think you guys are missing a major reason WHY the MREV makes power. It is deshrouding the inlets due to the machining process. It's very similar to spacing the plenum up, except you are doing it on the inside.

My take on why the spaces make 1-2hp on top of the mrev.... and why I'll be swapping out lower plenums only

Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Originally Posted by Cracker Red
I think you guys are missing a major reason WHY the MREV makes power. It is deshrouding the inlets due to the machining process. It's very similar to spacing the plenum up, except you are doing it on the inside.

My take on why the spaces make 1-2hp on top of the mrev.... and why I'll be swapping out lower plenums only
So the V2 is making as much HP and TQ alone as the spacer would?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:48 AM
The results showed minimal and no gains bc it was already tested with the MREV+ that the 1/2 spacers were not synergistic when combined together. I believe that was the reason why the MREV+ and 1/2 spacers were never sold as a package deal. As I mention earlier, the MREV v2 is a ported version of the MREV+, therefore, the results should not have been a surprise to anyone that the gains were not seen when both are quite similar products.
Then I guess I misread posts and product description:

Originally Posted by MotordyneEngineering.com

MREV 2TM
MREV 2 TM + lower collector - Standard lower collector with modified Intake Runners for reduced pressure drop

The Motordyne MREV+ lower collector! A universal stealth mod for use on any 350Z, G35, M35 and FX 35. When used with or without a spacer or aftermarket plenum, this modified lower collector will make substantial power gains.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I was referring to the MREV+. Before he updated his site to only carrying the MREV v2, there was the MREV+ with the 5/16 spacer package and never a MREV+ w/ 1/2 spacers. You are welcome to check out http://www.partshippers.com/index.ph...motordyne+350Z where they carried ALL of Tony's products up to the MREV+.

This was the package deal before the MREV v2:

Motordyne 5/16" Iso Thermal MREV Plus for G35 (http://www.partshippers.com/index.ph...roducts_id=910)

Old 05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Well, I certaintly know the MREV-2 makes power on the non-revup engine. If it doesn't panout on the REVUP, I'll be damn sure to make the prior revision available for the REVUPS again.

Lets wait to see what more of the dyno results show. More are on the way.
Tony

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MREV-V2 Added to 0.5” MD Cooper Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer