Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Seibon G35 trunk now available !!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they should have built a lil lip spoiler into that... just my thoughts ; )

Old 09-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
guys at mynismo quoted me under 600 for js hood..

awsome.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by r0csfinest
is it lighter than the oem trunk?
yes it is, I'd say by 7-15 lbs or so.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Chico
educate us then.
What would you like to know? There are two different kinds of raw materials for CF. PAN and Pitch....

PAN Type Carbon Fiber
A type of the fiber, produced by carbonization of Polyacrylonitrile, having high tensile strength and high elastic modulus, extensively applied for structural material composites in aerospace and industrial field and sporting / recreational goods.

Pitch Type Carbon Fiber
Another type of the fiber, produced by carbonization of oil/coal pitch precursor, having extensive properties from low elastic modulus to ultra high elastic modulus. Fibers with ultra high elastic modulus are extensively adopted in high stiffness components and various uses as utilizing high thermal conductivity and / or electric conductivity.

Here are the manufacturing techniques of both

Pan:
Polymerization
spinning
oxidation
carbonization

Pitch:
reforming/refining
molten spinning
oxidation
Carbonization/ graphitization
surface treatment sizing

Carbon fiber is made by heating, oxidizing and carbonizing polyacrylonitrile (PAN) polymer fibers. First, the PAN fiber is heated in air. The heat causes the cyano sites within the PAN polymer chain to form repeat cyclic units, of tetrahydropyridine. This polymer is also known as the ladder polymer.

Continuing the heating process in air, oxidation occurs. This process causes the carbon atoms to kick off their hydrogen atoms, and the rings become aromatic. The modified PAN polymer is now a series of fused pyridine-pyridone rings.

The heating process is continued in the absence of air. The heating process is now called carbonization, where the heat is raised to above 1300 oC. Adjacent polymer chains are joined together to give us a ribbon-like fused ring polymer.

The newly formed ribbons continue to condense together to form the lamellar, basal plane structure of nearly pure carbon.

The polymer has nitrogen atoms along the edges of the basal planes and which are expelled as Nitrogen gas.

These basal planes will stack to form microcrystalline structures. The size and orientation of these crystallites will alter the properties of the final carbon fiber product.

I was going to find you some prices per square yard of carbon fiber sheets but was unable to find anyone who even had them listed on their site because they have been out of stock for so long. In case you didn't know Carbon fiber is in a huge shortage. Thats why you see companies like VIS using 4x4 weave pattern instead of the 2x2 generally used.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:53 AM
hows the fit?

Old 09-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Banned
these literally JUST came out. I dont know of anyone who has sold one yet but knowing Seibon quality these are top notch. Underside is just black glass fiberglass like the hoods. I'll try to snap some pictures

Old 09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
more pics when you can, im really interested.