Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Idea for preventing bumper rash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idea for preventing bumper rash

Getting older, depth perception isn't what it used to be and and I scraped the bottom edge of my new G's bumper on a parking spot curb. Not too noticeable, but I haven't lowered it yet. So I have an idea for a product/invention. Some type of small diameter retractable rod that could be fastened under front of car behind the air dam. Maybe it could extend through a small hole in the dam so when retracted it would be invisible. When parking an interior switch would be thrown and the rod would extend several inches in front of car. Any contact with a curb would flash a light inside the car and you would know when to stop. What do you think?

Old 12-14-2003, 02:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Idea for preventing bumper rash

I like it. I personally was thinking of a proximity sensor, or even a more expensive mini-cam settup to monitor front and rear.

<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green>
<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 12-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a good idea, but I think there might be easier ways to do the actual sensor. The design you suggested would probably work, but there are several problems associated with it. First, you have to drill a hole in the bumper. Second, not only does the little rod have to have some kind of motor/actuator and gearing, but it would have to have some kind of switch mounted in the cabin so you could extend it when you wanted to. Also, that kind of design would require a pretty precise mounting bracket to ensure the rod would stay properly in place and extend directly through the drilled hole. It would also have to be strong enough so that no fitment issues would arise if you were to knock the front bumper on a curb, etc, while still mounting to existing structures under the bumper.

With the electronics that are available today, any deisgn that relies primarily on mechanical components is quickly becoming outdated. What I mean is that a mechanism like that could be much easier done through the use of an electronic proximity sensor mounted to the bumper (they already have these for backing up). It could be possible to attach the sensor to the tow hook cover so that no modifications to the actual bumper would be made. That is definitely something to think about though, because I have the same problem parking my coupe. Some of those little curbs it hits, and some of them it doesn't.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Black/Willow
- Texas Tech Mechanical Engineering -

Old 12-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What about a laser range finder that displays the exact distance to the obstruction in front and in the rear. This could be done thru a (HUD) which would display on the windshield. You can pick up a lser range finder at a home depot, the only thing to figure out is how to make a (HUD). The switching mechinism wouldnt be to hard to wire up tho.

2004 Coupe, 5AT, Twilight blue / Willow int. Mtek Xenon Fog/High, Clear corners, Hypers, 18's, Aero, tint, Premium.