Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

can i paint over my chrome grill?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Littering and...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely make sure you wash your grille first to remove any dirt/debris/oil. See if you can get some vinyl gloves to keep the oil from your fingers getting on the paint.

This could be completely wrong but these were my steps:

Quick wash
Sand with 400 grit
Wash with soap and water, let dry
3 coats of primer, let dry
Sand with 500 grit
Wash with soap and water, let dry
5 coats of gloss black, let dry
3 coats of clear coat, let dry

I want to go back and wetsand possibly although I might not do that.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didnt use sand paper at all, i use a scuff pad from a body shop, which worked 100 times easier and came out mint

scuff pad is like a sos pad but made for sanding/scratching up items for paint, all body shops use scuff pads for a reason or another in prep work

Old 07-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Littering and...
I had part of my finish lifted off by Goo Gone so I had to sand to make sure it was smooth. Otherwise I would have went with scotch brite as well.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 PM
it seems like painting the grill is a really hot mod these days... a whole bunch of ppl all did it around the same time

Old 07-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Yeah, I am going to do mine too since it is looking a bit nasty from all the freeway driving. I think I might also do clear bra on it once the paint has cured.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by App6MT
For mine I sanded the original grille down with 400 grit to make sure everything was smooth. I did three coats of primer, then sanded that down with 500 grit. I did about 5 coats of black and then 3 clear.

I also ordered a Gialla Grille from Jose at Ionic Motorsports just in case it didn't turn out that well. I am surprised on how sharp it can make the car look for just a few hours of work.
Wow yours turned out great! I'm thinkin about doing mine soon as well. What kind of paint did you use?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did mine last week. I sanded it, but did not use primer. I got spray paint for plastic and it said no primer required. And it turned out great.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
they all look great!!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibe to just paint horizontal bars with, say, clear black giving a black chrome look, maintianing the fugi emblem as is?

Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Memphoman
Possibe to just paint horizontal bars with, say, clear black giving a black chrome look, maintianing the fugi emblem as is?
i wouldn't expect the paint to last long just sprayed on top the grill with no sanding or primer...road debris will own you without at least scuffing up the surface you are painting...if you want a black chrome look they do make paints that will give it that effect www.alsacorp.com

Old 07-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Banned
what colors is everyone using? semi gloss ? flat black? glossy? plastic paint
by krylon?

Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Littering and...
Just so you guys know, I've already got a few rocks chips in mine My Gialla replica from Ionics comes in today so it will be swapped out. When it's off I am going to experiment some more with the grille and try to find a coating that is more durable.

I was watching some car show with dad a few months back and I remember seeing this clear coat product that Team Corvette had been using on the front end of their car. Not sure what the name of it was but I am definitely looking for something like that.

I'll keep you all posted.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by App6MT
Just so you guys know, I've already got a few rocks chips in mine My Gialla replica from Ionics comes in today so it will be swapped out. When it's off I am going to experiment some more with the grille and try to find a coating that is more durable.

I was watching some car show with dad a few months back and I remember seeing this clear coat product that Team Corvette had been using on the front end of their car. Not sure what the name of it was but I am definitely looking for something like that.

I'll keep you all posted.

that sux rock chips i drove all the way from Mass to Englsihtown,NJ and my grill didnt get 1 chip and still shiny like my car, but after all i did paint it with spices heacker paint and not a spray can, i def feel its worth the extra few bucks to have ti painted by a shop and you can prep it your self to save money =0) propb be around $25 to have it painted nicely with clear coat like mine posted in this thread previously..... IMO of Course

Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 AM
help! how do remove my grille i took out the 6 or 8 screws on top but i can get the very top corners to release is there something im not seeing?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 AM
****defected****

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^there are some clips in the upper coners.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: can i paint over my chrome grill?