Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

carbon fiber hood ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
carbon fiber hood ?'s

Hey guys i got two questions.....

one is can you and how much would it cost to reclearcoat a scratched hood...and is it worth it....

second question if a hood already has hood pins in it would it be worth it to buy it or you think i would have fitment issues.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Pics of the hood?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think that the presence of hood pins indicates anything about potential fitment issues. What make/style is the hood?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
True. Hoodpins won't matter. USUALLY fitment issues can be manipulated via the rear bolts and by adjusting the latch up and down, such that the hood will fit. Now. . .chips/scratches in the "clearcoat" really depend. 1st, is it really clearcoat, or is it the glass resin? Some hoods don't come clearcoated, so the scratches would be directly in the resin. Regardless, you can remove scratches, but you have to really know what you're doing. (ie wetsand, compound, buff, etc. . .) I cracked a CF hood in a total dumbass moment prior to it ever being on my car, and I've successfully patched the hole, but have now turned it into a paint project. It was never clearcoated. I'll post pictures someday.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM
ill post pictures there on my work email tom...

its a ts carbon fiber... its been sitting for a lil bit guy sold his car and took it off....i asked him about it and he swears he had it clear coated

Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by urbnmat
ill post pictures there on my work email tom...

its a ts carbon fiber... its been sitting for a lil bit guy sold his car and took it off....i asked him about it and he swears he had it clear coated
Dame! If it's a real TS hood, that'd be pretty nice. They're pretty pricey. anywais, if it's clear coated, that'd probably be better than "fixing" the resin layer. The quickest way to tell is if there's ANY yellow tinge to it at all, then there's no clear coat and has the onset of UV damage.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
thanks for the heads up im definately going upto look at it first and i will have pics later im still at home...

he said its straight from japan bought it for 1100 dollars and he has the receipt and shipping documents...

its just sitting at his buddies dealership so he wants to get rid of it

also does anyone have any experience with lambo doors....the guy says they are bolt on i always thought they needed modification but he already had them on his car so....

Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by urbnmat
thanks for the heads up im definately going upto look at it first and i will have pics later im still at home...

he said its straight from japan bought it for 1100 dollars and he has the receipt and shipping documents...

its just sitting at his buddies dealership so he wants to get rid of it

also does anyone have any experience with lambo doors....the guy says they are bolt on i always thought they needed modification but he already had them on his car so....
Waste of money dont even bother with lambo doors...

Old 07-31-2008, 08:13 AM
u drive a lambo or a a G35? i dont even know why they call them lambo doors they still dont open like a lambos...

Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 AM
haha i know i wasnt planning on getting these unless i made a show car...but thanks for the positive responses i can tell you guys care lol

Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 PM
yea so the more i look at this hood i think it is hairline cracks and not scratches....post pics up soon

Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 PM
[IMG][/IMG]

okay here is the shot of the so called scratch in the clear coat.....

[IMG][/IMG]

this is the hood

anyone have any ideas if this could be fixed or if it is actually cracked...the shots are from his blackberry so i dont have any closeups

Old 07-31-2008, 08:11 PM
It looks like the clear coat is cracked, but I don't really know.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 PM
I dunno man. Looks like cracks to me. Did he say it was never installed? Most people aren't gentle with the somewhat flexible CF hoods and slam them closed, or if the latch isn't lined up properly, they try and force it down. The resulting cracks in the resin layer look just like that. Typically, the cracks also appear on the front end where the hood curves to the final front edge.

Sorry for jacking your pic, but this is what typically happens:

(cracks are in blue. . .duh.)

Are the "lines" around where the blue lines between the "hands" are?

Lastly, look under the hood to see if there's a "Top Secret" metal plate or "Seibon" metal plate. If it's the latter, it's not a real TS hood.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:51 PM
thanks drewer you are really helpful n that picture is a damn good job showing me i think it was what you are saying the hood is cracked on the left side where it looks like it would on teh curve...i would go check out this hood but the guy lives two and a half hours away and i dont think i could redo a crack in the resin...im just gonna get a brand new sparkly one and take care of it the right way

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber hood ?'s