Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another "window problem" thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another "window problem" thread

I was somewhat sarcastic in the title of this thread because I realize most of you (and me) are sick of seeing the same old thread about power window failure. However mine is having its own set of symptoms, and before I spend over $100 on a new motor I want to be a little more sure about it.

My passenger window hasn't worked for about a year now. I put it off cause I was just going to have my mechanic do it due to my busy schedule, and he told me it would be like $300-$400! Anyway, I did what some of you have suggested last week and took the motor out and cleaned it thoroughly. Still, nothing happens. Once in a while my window will go down, but I try not to hit the button cause it will get stuck. Sometimes when I close the door the window even still pops up to make that seal. For a while it would fall when I closed the door, but it hasn't done that in a while.

Of course there's no way to give me a solid analysis of what my exact problem is, but does this sound like a problem with the motor or the switch? I plan on buying a new motor and installing it on friday, I just don't want to waste my money if I don't need a new one.

Thanks if you can help

Matt

Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just took in my 05' to have the passenger side fixed. Same problem...it'd go down but took five or so tries before going up. Service adviser said the motor shorted out.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by LjN_728
I just took in my 05' to have the passenger side fixed. Same problem...it'd go down but took five or so tries before going up. Service adviser said the motor shorted out.
Thanks. Yeah I think at this point I'm just going to replace the motor and hope for the best.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
such a beautiful car but the rly messed up on our windows!!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bmason1031
such a beautiful car but the rly messed up on our windows!!
Please don't forget the actuators........ and yeah, the compression rods, and don't forget the paint, rattles, and CD changers. I also love my car but have learned to live with the numerous issues.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would get an aftermarket actuator since our oem ones are so prone to not working.. aftermarket ones are cheap as well... prob looking at $50 bucks IIRC.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Please don't forget the actuators........ and yeah, the compression rods, and don't forget the paint, rattles, and CD changers. I also love my car but have learned to live with the numerous issues.
Most of these problems are present on most modern cars. It's just the way moderately priced technology gives us equipment that works most of the time.

Personally I haven't had any of these problems myself, with exception to the window motor, but in my past BMW it was even more of a nightmare!

1. Replaced ALL fluid containers within the engine compartment = prone to cracks
2. Replaced ALL window regulators (not motors, but these broke MUCH more often, had to replace mine every 6 months).
3. Replaced front Control Arm Bushings (which is the G35 equivalent of compression rods, prone to cracks every 1 to 2 years).
4. Replaced Steering Column
Not to mention all the electronic gremlins involving the VDC, radio, CD player, AC controls, etc.

Once you've went German, these problems seem minuscule and rare. Really puts it in perspective.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by Uda880
Most of these problems are present on most modern cars. It's just the way moderately priced technology gives us equipment that works most of the time.

Personally I haven't had any of these problems myself, with exception to the window motor, but in my past BMW it was even more of a nightmare!

1. Replaced ALL fluid containers within the engine compartment = prone to cracks
2. Replaced ALL window regulators (not motors, but these broke MUCH more often, had to replace mine every 6 months).
3. Replaced front Control Arm Bushings (which is the G35 equivalent of compression rods, prone to cracks every 1 to 2 years).
4. Replaced Steering Column
Not to mention all the electronic gremlins involving the VDC, radio, CD player, AC controls, etc.

Once you've went German, these problems seem minuscule and rare. Really puts it in perspective.
I would have to agree...I've never owned a German car for a reason. However our cars do have many annoying little things, but at the end of the day I love it.