Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Starting dual LED ring in coupe tails

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
looks sweet.. so the side blinker comes out and goes into the center? The existing lights (LED's) goes into the outer ring.. So they are the brake light/running light/turn light?
The side marker light stays where it is. The LEDs that are next to the reverse light are swapped into the new rings. The blinker bulb still stays at the center of the outer ring. The only thing youre moving is the 12 LEDs

On mine I think Im gonna wire in another blinker into the center of the bigger LED ring so both blink when the signals are on.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd definitely be interested, but in for installed pics first.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
These should be offered with and without the extra leds, some ppl will prolly want to keep the inner leds where they are.

However, I guess you would once again run with the problem of the aftermarket leds not matching the oem ones... unless the only reason the other dual ring tails dont match is caused by the absence of this machined ring (with the recessed reflectors) you created.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks great!

Any way to wire the blinker(s) to the LEDs (i.e not use anything in the center) themselves?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by teahead
That looks great!

Any way to wire the blinker(s) to the LEDs (i.e not use anything in the center) themselves?
Yes, consult an electrical engineer (yeah that nerd in HS) and talk to him about making you a circuit, should cost about $13.

I envision all 4 rings light up when braking and are dim during cruising with lights on. Then 2 right rings blink for right signal, and vice versa. Similar to a vette with LED's .

Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 AM
everything
Im no wiring expert but if you run another set of LEDs I believe its gonna make them all weaker since youre drawing more current to run 3 sets instead of 2.

As far as making the LEDs work as blinkers also Im sure you could do that too, but Im no wiring expert so I dont know what youd have to add to the wiring.

More LEDs are up to you guys. Theyre cheap.

As far as instructions I may write some up once I start mine(have to pick up a dremel cutting arbor tonight) but its basically cutting out the hole and getting it to the correct size for my insert to fig snug and then bonding it in. No real instructions other than that for the bezel part. Its just opening the tail, popping the chrome shround out, modifying it, and rewiring, and sealing the light back up.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
hmmm interesting..

Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Im no wiring expert but if you run another set of LEDs I believe its gonna make them all weaker since youre drawing more current to run 3 sets instead of 2.

As far as making the LEDs work as blinkers also Im sure you could do that too, but Im no wiring expert so I dont know what youd have to add to the wiring.

More LEDs are up to you guys. Theyre cheap.

As far as instructions I may write some up once I start mine(have to pick up a dremel cutting arbor tonight) but its basically cutting out the hole and getting it to the correct size for my insert to fig snug and then bonding it in. No real instructions other than that for the bezel part. Its just opening the tail, popping the chrome shround out, modifying it, and rewiring.
If wiring in a parallel circuit, the brightness shouldn't be effected much at all. Probably not noticeable.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
^+1
LED's draw (amperage) is so minimal that you can have a thousand or more (running parallel) and still be able to charge your phone on the same circuit.

Running parallel is the key.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM
everything
SO what exactly would need to be added to have the LEDs also serve as the blinkers?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:36 AM
They could just be wired to the turn signal circuit, however they would only light with the turn signal. For dual or multiple functionality, some other customizations need to be done, relays and probably more.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can match the LEDs perfectly everytime using the exact factory LEDs

Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pythonjosh
They could just be wired to the turn signal circuit, however they would only light with the turn signal. For dual or multiple functionality, some other customizations need to be done, relays and probably more.
^^ yep, you would have to wire it into a constant 12V, then form the heirarchy of the circuit, beginning with the most rare and going to the most common.

Have the brake signal and turn signal be separate circuits, when turn signal is blinking, follow turn signal, if no turn signal then brake? If yes, then apply voltage, if not, no voltage. If lights are on, apply lower voltage, etc...

It could be done really cheap for someone who knows what they are doing. I might be able to, but im not sure thats something i need on my plate right now.

Someone can figure this out.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM
You can have multiple power sources all protected by a diode.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
Have the brake signal and turn signal be separate circuits, when turn signal is blinking, follow turn signal, if no turn signal then brake? If yes, then apply voltage, if not, no voltage. If lights are on, apply lower voltage, etc...

Above is the basic code one would need to put into a processor/circuit. Simple Pbasic could be used for this code (hell use C or C++).. it's only if statements running on a loop or a do while loop.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starting dual LED ring in coupe tails