Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Has Anyone Tried To Blind Speed Cameras?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Has Anyone Tried To Blind Speed Cameras?

NOTE: Haters and law abiding momma's boys save your comments for your momma.

Im in the process of purchasing IR LED's to mount around my license plate frame to blind speed and red light cameras. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this? I know that a lot of new age cameras have IR filters, however, after observing a number of cameras in the area I noticed that many if not most have a flash. Why have a flash if you have IR illumination? You dont. Its old technology and upgrading is expensive esp when no one really does this kind of **** to circumvent it.

These are the LED's in planning to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320658848719
This is where I got the idea:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-ad...riving-222857/

I don't speed often thru areas that are marked with "photo enforced" but I have gotten hit with a couple tickets where I didnt fully stop before a right turn on red. $9 to have my plates invisible sounds like a better investment than the $100+ ticket I get in the mail for some stupid machine taking pictures of my plates. Im not trying to do 100mph in a 35 zone like an *******.

If a cop clocks me and Im busted thats fine, but having a machine take pictures without any opportunity to talk things out is just wrong.

The IR LED's are invisble to the human eye, and for those of you that are going to say the cops will see them with their dash cam- they dont have an in car LCD- they only use the footage in court when you do something really stupid and deny it-so that argument is void.

ALSO: I DO NOT INTEND ON DOING IT THE WAY THE VIDEO SHOWS, im going to drill holes in the license plate frame and wire the LED thru that, there will NOT be big magnet stick-ons on my license plate.

Last edited by kvp35; 05-05-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck....

Old 05-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mythbusters did an episode where they tried multiple commercial and home-made products to try to beat traffic cameras and radar/laser detectors. Every single time the camera saw the license plate clearly. It's been a while since I've seen the episode so I'm not sure if they tried those kind of lights.

IMO you are wasting your money, but if it makes you feel better go for it.

Red light tickets are $100 where I live and I've gotten a couple of them and they definitely suck. Both times it's been raining and in order to stop for the light I'd have to slam on the brakes and probably end up sliding into the intersection anyway.

Last edited by Willystylee; 05-05-2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You are going to need something A LOT brighter than those leds and more of them. Anything that you make that is going to be bright enough is going to look really cheesy wrapped around your plate. That being said, I encourage you to pursue this. You might end up with a product that people will buy. Oh and piece of advice, don't waste your time with testing it indoors. Do all your brightness tests with the camera and leds in the sun. You will get a picture of just how bright the IR has to be for day time.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I saw this on discovery on one of those "How to get off the grid" shows, where guy used those infrared LED in his baseball cap to hide his face from a camera in the ATM.

So my guess is it if worked there, it should work on a speed camera.

I would put them leds all around the plate tho.

The video you posted is kinda weird, it is filmed somewhere in europe but in a picture they got a fake CALI plate.

I doubt that creators of a video actually tried that method.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
You are going to need something A LOT brighter than those leds and more of them. Anything that you make that is going to be bright enough is going to look really cheesy wrapped around your plate. That being said, I encourage you to pursue this. You might end up with a product that people will buy. Oh and piece of advice, don't waste your time with testing it indoors. Do all your brightness tests with the camera and leds in the sun. You will get a picture of just how bright the IR has to be for day time.
it's not the brightness of the LED it is the Infrared light that overwhelms the camera. Cameras are sensitive to infrared light to insure a good quality image in a low light situations, so by providing a chit load of infrared light you overwhelm the camera and create a blind spot.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM
- I saw the episode of Mythbusters and they never tested IR LED's they only tried various plastic reflective license plate covers and sprays.
- I saw the episde of Living Off The Grid also and the IR LED's mounted on his hat worked perfectly to create a bright white blind spot covering his face at a number of cameras

- I dont think it will look very cheesy as the LEDS are clear and you cant see the light with the human eye. Im going to start with 10 and mount them equal distances around the plate frame by drilling homes and inserting them, I'll test it then and see how effective it is before I secure them in place with high strength epoxy.
-For anyone that has not seen what an IR LED looks like, take your cell phone camera, digital camera, or camcorder and point your TV remote at it and push a button- you'll notice that the light can only be seen when looking thru your camera and not by your naked eye.

-I'm def going to give it a shot considering the really low cost, and if it works out maybe I can make something thats really professional which I may be able to sell as a plug and play blinding plate frame- Im sure there would be a demand for it from a lot of people not just us G35 drivers

-I'll post up pics and a write up if it works out the way im planning

Last edited by kvp35; 05-05-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
I wanna put led's on my hat and rob a convenient store now..

Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM
LMAO, go for it- just remember the guy you rob will still see your face. Damn sketch artists

Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
additional note: I just found out that they outlawed license plate covers of any kind, clear and smoked in the state of MD. MVA stated that they were interfering with speed cameras in the area. We must have some real ****ty cams out here-just gave me a boost of confidence in my plan

Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
it's not the brightness of the LED it is the Infrared light that overwhelms the camera. Cameras are sensitive to infrared light to insure a good quality image in a low light situations, so by providing a chit load of infrared light you overwhelm the camera and create a blind spot.
Right but in sunlight, wouldn't they try to compensate for the IR from normal sunlight, making a need for brighter leds? I had this problem with a robot I made once. It followed an IR led source. Problem was in bright sunlight the leds werent bright enough for the robot to see when washed out by the natural IR from sunlight. Basically it made that system only useful indoors or at night. When you look at this IR led array in sunlight you could see each led and the light from them but you could also clearly see the surrounding housing of the device. The leds had no blinding effect.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:19 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
Right but in sunlight, wouldn't they try to compensate for the IR from normal sunlight, making a need for brighter leds? I had this problem with a robot I made once. It followed an IR led source. Problem was in bright sunlight the leds werent bright enough for the robot to see when washed out by the natural IR from sunlight. Basically it made that system only useful indoors or at night. When you look at this IR led array in sunlight you could see each led and the light from them but you could also clearly see the surrounding housing of the device. The leds had no blinding effect.
I think if he puts IR LEDS all around the license plate, it will provide enough blindness to distort the image of the licence plate just enough to not be verifiable, even if it distorts it just around the ages.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Well if you buy it take a picture with your camera, cameras in redlight/speed cameras from what I see are just digital cameras.

If you have CCTV or CCD they can get IR light overload. But I am pretty sure your plate will be captured just fine on a normal camera with a Christmas tree plate

Last edited by thescreensavers; 05-06-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad we don't have those cameras here. I'm not necessarily condoning breaking the law, but IMO the government has waaaaaaay to much control and power. Ever seen Demolition Man? That's where we're headed.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:49 PM
yeah theres no doubt, like have the police do their job I dont need a camera watching me. Not to mention i got my ticket for not stopping completely before a right turn at a red light. Right on red is legal at that intersection and you can see my blinker on to make the turn. Total bs. Skynet is around the corner

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Tried To Blind Speed Cameras?