Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rock chips/Touch up paint

Old 01-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock chips/Touch up paint

I hve 3 rock chips on my front hood and they are very noticable in the sunlights. I bought touch up paint from the dealership to handle this problem. Has anyone used touch up paint before? Are the results good? I dont want to be able to notice where the touch up paint was added or anything like that. I bought the exact same color (diamond graphite). I heard using the tip of a match or something is good. And to wax the area the next day? Someone help!

Old 01-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Omega Enthusiast
I remember reading somewhere that a guy used a #2 artist brush with touch up paint, cure, wetsand with 2000 grit, polish, and then wax. I haven't tried this so don't take my word for it....

Old 01-05-2005, 02:18 AM
If your paint is anything other than Ivory Pearl you have a better chance of blending the touchup area with the rest of the paint. Ivory Pearl touchup paint comes in two separate containers, a basecoat and a topcoat. It was impossible to match IMO. I just wanted to add a little to the previous post. Clean the area with a good soap followed by a 50% isopropanol solution, fill the chip little by little with the touchup paint, let dry between each aditional layer, wet sand with 2000 grit paper to smooth out the area, polish to remove any marring and to bring back some gloss, and finally wax. Looking back, the best advice I can give you is to take it slow and be patient when you're filling in the chip. You tend to get frustrated, rush things, and end up screwing everything up.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:28 AM
well...the size and deepness of the rock chips arent really fillable. they are very small chip marks. I guess Ill just brush the paint on, is that ok? where can I get this wetsand 2000 grit?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bababooey
If your paint is anything other than Ivory Pearl you have a better chance of blending the touchup area with the rest of the paint. Ivory Pearl touchup paint comes in two separate containers, a basecoat and a topcoat. It was impossible to match IMO. I just wanted to add a little to the previous post. Clean the area with a good soap followed by a 50% isopropanol solution, fill the chip little by little with the touchup paint, let dry between each aditional layer, wet sand with 2000 grit paper to smooth out the area, polish to remove any marring and to bring back some gloss, and finally wax. Looking back, the best advice I can give you is to take it slow and be patient when you're filling in the chip. You tend to get frustrated, rush things, and end up screwing everything up.
is the top coat the clear coat or do you need to apply clear coat after too?