Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Silviaparts grill - I'm not impressed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Silviaparts grill - mixed feelings

I have never seen a real Gialla so all I can do is comment on this one. I got it in about a week which is pretty good and the paint seems to be matched well. I also like the overall look which is much more aggressive/stealthy IMO.

I am not a perfectionist at all but these are my problems, the least of which is the infamous "more gap in the center" that I do have. There seemed to be no way to line up all 4 of the push pins on the top of the grill with the stock holes. Correct me if I am wrong, but the grill didn't seem to have much "give" and I didn't want to force it and break it. With 3 of the holes lined up nicely, you can only see about 1/4 of the remaining hole. A warning to those yet to install, the paint on both the mesh and frame is VERY fragile and will scratch/chip easily. The method used to secure the mesh to the frame is very flimsy. There are little "patches" of fiberglass with a wire in them that hooks around the mesh. One of these patches broke off during shipping where the fiberglass patch/fiberglass frame connect. Anybody know what type of adhesive would work best to re-attach this?

The price was right and shipping was quick. Quality is so-so and you get what you pay for basically.

Title edited - thought I might have been a bit harsh

Last edited by 1nate7; 01-09-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:34 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Patches of fiberglass with wire is how pretty much all body kits have mesh attached to them. I used to work at a shop that stocked 40-50 bumpers, and that's how all of them were.

I would suggest some JB weld.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does silvia parts have nothing to say about this?

Old 01-12-2005, 11:38 PM
iv'e used hot glue gun before. it worked great.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Vic
1Nate7, when you say more gap in the center, do you mean there is more gap between the grill and the front part of the hood?
If that is the case, I actually also noticed the gap from the picture in silviaparts website.
Silviaparts, does the original gialla grill also has this gap?

Old 01-13-2005, 01:03 PM
The gap issue has been discussed in great detail, and it shows up more on light colored cars. Basically the grill does not exactly follow the radius of the hood line so there is a larger gap in the center than on the sides. Most of the pics I have seen including the real Gialla grill have this issue. Even though only 3 of the push pins lined up, the grill is still secure so thats not much of a problem. I am going to just drill out the remaining hole so I can put all 4 pins in. Also, I should be able to re-attach the fiberglass patch so that issue can be resolved too.

I had the grill on for one day and I had 3 chips in the paint and tons of chips on the mesh. Its obvious the paint on the mesh is not going to hold up. I am looking into what can be done about this. I might just try to repaint it myself, powdercoat it, or even possibly replace the mesh with something more substantial. A mesh that matches the lower 2 front bumper cover openings might work nicely.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:17 PM
my last hole didnt line up either but i pushed it and made it line up.
as for the gap, there is a DIY that JDKMan wrote up w/pics. make alot of difference for those of you who dont like the gap.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by 1nate7
....Most of the pics I have seen including the real Gialla grill have this issue.....
I've got a Gialla Grill and it doesn't have this problem....

Old 01-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
i noticed the gap immediately also. Its the only thing keeping me from ordering the grill

Old 01-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Grill gap

The gap in the grill makes the hood look bowed. I put my grill on Monday night and I'm going to take it off this evening and try to shim the center up a bit. I read the DIY post but I wasn't clear where he placed the 1/2" piece of rubber to correct the problem. I placed the rubber on the bottom ledge of the existing bumper, then place the new grill on top of it. If I have any luck I will take photos for all other silvia grill members.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok....next meet I'll line up (2) genuine Giallas and my SilviaParts....side by side.....and take pics.
They are identical. Same gap....same fit. Mesh attaches same way
As far as the holes lining up....fiberglass tends to shrink up a small bit as it cures. Mine was the same way. I just spread the grill out a bit from the edges...start on one side and insert the pins as you work accross. They all fit.
Only bitch I have is the paint job on the mesh, as stated in other posts.

Attached Thumbnails Silviaparts grill - I'm not impressed-newgrill2.jpg  

Last edited by Brando; 01-14-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Ok, here's a side pic of my Gialla grill....sorry car is kinda dirty.

Attached Thumbnails Silviaparts grill - I'm not impressed-side-front.jpg  
Old 01-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Vic
Oldvfrguy, is your grill an original gialla grill or the silviastar one? if yours is the silviastar grill then if you compare your car's picture to Kaigenx's picture (original gialla) then you can see that there is a little bit of gap on your car, whereas there is no gap in kaigenx's car. pls correct me if i'm wrong..

Old 01-15-2005, 09:43 PM
kaigenx

Originally Posted by kaigenx
Ok, here's a side pic of my Gialla grill....sorry car is kinda dirty.

where did you purchase your Gialla?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Silviaparts grill - I'm not impressed