Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

paint touch up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint touch up

Hello everybody I wasn't sure where to post this thread but care and detailing looked dead.
So the problem here is some inconsiderate dbag backed up into m car and left this paint chipped.. I know no matter what I do it's not going to look the same. My main concern is to prevent it from chipping more and more. So I am going to apply touch up paint and maybe some clear coat over it. I'm calling the nearest Infiniti dealer to me tomorrow because from what I've read they sell little bottles of touch up paint based on color code. I've never done this before but I've also read that after the paint and clear coat, I can try smoothing it out with a tiny bit of paint thinner after. I want to ask if anybody has ever done this and I will post the outcome no matter how ugly it comes out. Because again my main concern isn't exact perfect match looking good as new. I basically just want to cover it up and blend it back into the original paint so it won't peel away any further. By the way this is on the front bumper and it's pretty small. About the size of the tip of my pinky finger.

Last edited by jessex35; 09-18-2016 at 09:14 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 09-18-2016, 10:39 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Diamond graphite color? I would sand with some low grit sandpaper to get it level and apply some touch up paint but it's gonna look bad either way. Full repaint would be best, that's gonna stand out quite a bit imo

Old 09-19-2016, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by eazdaskeez
Diamond graphite color? I would sand with some low grit sandpaper to get it level and apply some touch up paint but it's gonna look bad either way. Full repaint would be best, that's gonna stand out quite a bit imo
Its actually silver. I've seen many people sanding before painting but the spot is so small I don't want to sand and have to paint a wider area after sanding and make the off color paint a bigger area than just that tiny spot. It sucks.. its going to look bad either way but I'm hoping at least after that it won't chip off any further

Old 09-19-2016, 07:36 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
I've been in that situation recently. I bought the touch up paint from Z1, didn't do justice even with matching color code. I would suggest that the only solution is to have the whole bumper repainted professionally. The touch up paint would only frustrate you more.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
If you don't mind the spot just get touch up paint from a local paint supplier and blot it on.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
If you don't mind the spot just get touch up paint from a local paint supplier and blot it on.
Yea.. I won't really mind the spot, it's small. And here in Cali everybody has spotty bumpers.. too much cars all over the dam place. No parking anywhere, it's just a matter of time for it to happen to our cars

Old 09-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by deeliciousqueen
I've been in that situation recently. I bought the touch up paint from Z1, didn't do justice even with matching color code. I would suggest that the only solution is to have the whole bumper repainted professionally. The touch up paint would only frustrate you more.
Sorry to hear that.. It sucks especially since we love our cars so much, for others to ruin it. I'll at least try it out as well. Since if I decide to respray the whole bumper I can basically to anything to it before forking out all of that money. But I won't really mind the spot. Its very tiny and I'm thinking of buying one of those stillen from license plate mounts. Because if I put a plate it will actually kind of hide the mark I think.

Last edited by jessex35; 09-19-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Here is the procedure I follow to correct small paint chips. Very good results when done correctly.

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/paint-chip-touch-up/

Old 09-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by LexD
Here is the procedure I follow to correct small paint chips. Very good results when done correctly.

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/paint-chip-touch-up/
Thanks for your input and this is the exact same guy I saw on YouTube lol. It was a different video but it's how I learned some steps. He has a lot, he was working on a Mercedes truck.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Old 09-28-2016, 06:59 PM
I took the "no paint" picture before I actually peeled a bit more of the loose paint. Even though I kept painters tape over it ever since it came it still peeled off more. So the spot was actually a bit bigger when I peeled more of the loose paint. That's also my main reason for wanting to apply touch up paint, to avoid further peeling on its own. I said I would upload the after pics no matter how ugly it came out. So here it is. Its ugly and noticeable and I understand I could have done things differently such as sanding and applying putty. But to be honest it was going to come out bad either way. But the paint color is the bigger problem here because in person it actually shines a bit more looking chrome rather than silver so it doesn't quite match, but I knew that was going to happen. But hey my ride is still pretty clean.