Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Upper Glove Box coming unglued again - need ideas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Upper Glove Box coming unglued again - need ideas

So about a month ago I used the DIY from this forum and used DAP contact cement and a bunch of clamps to hold down the upper glove box. You guys know the piece that comes undone at the top and looks horrible. I used contact cement and clamped it down for about 8 hours and It looked great for a month. Got in the car today we just had really cold weather and its came undone again.

This will be my 3rd attempt to fix this thing, what product have you guys used that will work and stay put

Not my picture, both left and right sides are coming undone again where you can't even see the aluminum trim above it going across the dash

Old 11-21-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
you should use the same stuff the interior shops use to glue headliner down. i purchased headliner magic and it works well

Old 11-21-2016, 11:22 PM
I might have to look into it. I was recommended Dap Contact Cement by a lot of people but seems the problem was cold weather and not heat. Most stuff is the opposite, it fails at high temps. Headliner magic is it available in small quantities

Old 11-23-2016, 06:16 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Gorilla Glue has also been proven to work in hot and cold environments. I tried the 3M super adhesive spray and it held for a couple of months on my door panels but the Houston heat was too much and they peeled again.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
im selling a replacement glove box door , same color if you just want to start fresh

Old 11-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Gorilla Glue has also been proven to work in hot and cold environments. I tried the 3M super adhesive spray and it held for a couple of months on my door panels but the Houston heat was too much and they peeled again.
I tried that the first time. A lot of stuff is how and when you apply it. Like contact cement is amazing stuff in the right instances. I still recommend this product to everyone. Just in this case its the design that's the flaw. I do have regular gorilla glue. Think it will be permanent. I just don't want something to hold a month or 2 and do the whole process again. This is gonna be my 3rd attempt than I might go the replacement route.

FYI contact cement held on the pieces of door panel leather/vinyl that people have issues with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.