Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G35 owner: Daughters' Accord paint peeling question

Old 08-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 owner: Daughters' Accord paint peeling question

Hey guys,
sorry to post an Accord question, but i love this forum....

Here 2001 Honda Accord has lots of peeling paint, looks like the clear coat if just peeling off??

Other than repaint, is there any wonderful solution that can be had to make this look more presentable?

Thank you
JLM
G35 2005 70k miles, pristine

Old 08-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
That looks to me like delamination of clear coat. Its not uncommon if you live in a state with extreme summer heat. If the car has been painted before, it's due to bad technique or poor prep work. Since its more than one panel the only option would be a respray of base color then clear coat. If you plan on keeping the car for a while it'd be worth tackling sooner than later before it gets worse. I just had a respray at 90k for my 06. Not sure there's anything you can do to make it look better

Old 08-27-2017, 03:56 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yep previous poster is 100% correct, delam, and it's almost always from direct sunlight high surface temp and not properly waxing/sealing the vehicle on a regular basis (can also be caused by improper mix for catalyst, not allowing proper kick time between coats, etc). UV damage causes delam like that on a LOT of vehicles painted in the 90's - early 2000's. There was a change in the Canadian laws for pollution and DuPont (and all the other major players in the paint game have the paint plants in Canadia) had to comply and the product is much more succeptible to UV damage. Also ice melt on winter roads can erode and pit the clear and make it more succeptible to getting little holes in it.

Wax/sealant is basically sunblock for your car, clay blocking the vehicle removes tiny particles of metal (brake dust) and other crap that gets embedded in the clear which can penetrate the entire layer and cause delamination as well. It's definitely worth the time spent to care for the surface of the vehicle.

The only solution at this point is to get an overspray (if the paint layer is not too badly damaged) or a complete strip/paint/clear. Call around various shops and get a price.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Left out in weather of all types, never waxed or covered will result in what you're dealing with! Only correct fix is a complete repaint or trade it in for another vehicle...sorry!
Gary

Old 08-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by gary c
Left out in weather of all types, never waxed or covered will result in what you're dealing with! ......... trade it in for another vehicle...sorry!
Gary
And get a garage.

Telcoman

Old 08-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
And get a garage. Telcoman
Growing up and newly married I never had a garage but I waxed and washed our cars frequently, never had paint failure like this Accord! We live, we learn...so after owning several homes having garages I started using car covers while at work. www.californiacover.com That vastly improved how our cars looked after a few years!
Gary

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.