Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Replaced both fuel sending units, fuel gauge still inaccurate

Old 10-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replaced both fuel sending units, fuel gauge still inaccurate

Title pretty much says it all, I replaced the driver side sending unit and replaced the passenger side sending unit which was pretty much the top part of the fuel pump assembly, and my fuel gauge is still inaccurate feelsbad anybody have an idea why? Thanks guys

Old 10-07-2017, 07:13 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Use a digital multimeter on the harnesses, primary harness should be 4-40 ohms depending on full/empty, secondary harness is 4-80ohms depending on full/empty. If they're sending the correct signal then it's either not making it's way to the combination meter or not being interpreted correctly by the combination meter (instrument cluster), the 4-40 ohm signal can be tested at the harness on the meter (think it's the black wire/white stripe, check the FSM), if the signal is still correct then the meter is failing.

The combination meter has a self-diagnosis mode you can put it into to cycle each gauge and verify they work, google it, all the other info can be found in the factory service manual.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Use a digital multimeter on the harnesses, primary harness should be 4-40 ohms depending on full/empty, secondary harness is 4-80ohms depending on full/empty. If they're sending the correct signal then it's either not making it's way to the combination meter or not being interpreted correctly by the combination meter (instrument cluster), the 4-40 ohm signal can be tested at the harness on the meter (think it's the black wire/white stripe, check the FSM), if the signal is still correct then the meter is failing.

The combination meter has a self-diagnosis mode you can put it into to cycle each gauge and verify they work, google it, all the other info can be found in the factory service manual.
Alright will give it a shot on my next day off, appreciate it bro!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:38 PM
could be a wiring issue, or the dash might need a rebuild.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:10 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Am19
could be a wiring issue, or the dash might need a rebuild.
When you say dash might need a rebuild, do you mean I could probably need a new gauge cluster too? when I say off I mean it goes like a quarter past full and will stop somewhere between a quarter and empty....

Old 10-09-2017, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by Utopia
When you say dash might need a rebuild, do you mean I could probably need a new gauge cluster too? when I say off I mean it goes like a quarter past full and will stop somewhere between a quarter and empty....
Yes 90% sure it's the gauge cluster that needs to be rebuilt, you could go for a used or new cluster but it might need to be reprogrammed to your vehicle.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.