Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dot Matrix question for the tinted rides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dot Matrix question for the tinted rides

Well I went down to my local tint shop today to of course put some 32% diamond charcoal tint on my DG. I was speaking to someone who has done our coupes several times and I was inquiring about the dot matrix on the back and side windows around the edges of the windows. He told me that there will have to be a white outer ring going around the whole back and side windows because of the darn dot matrix. He said theres no way around it. Is this true with other coupes with tint? He said the tint wont stick to the dots leaving that white un-tinted line going around. Also at the end said "personally I would not get them tinted" until I have seen others with tint. So I left to do more research cause I cant stand the cheap look of that line. What are your experiences? thanks
Im more concerned with the edges of the sides and rear not the top of the rear.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:14 AM
I got my tints done and they did it over the dot matrix.. i have had it for about 8 months now and it is fine. I will try to take a pic when i get a chance.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Well that gives me more hope, but he swore that this can not be done. He has done several others before though. Any other experiences out there thanks G35driver

Old 07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tint

The dot matrix line in back window is there but I got 20% so it's not that bad. Although the area on top of the rear glass is horrible. In some places its darker than others, like a maze. And it looks 100 times worse looking from the inside. I haven't got time to go back to the place to do something about it.
When the tint is still wet, I heard it's good to slide your finger on those dot lines to make the tint stick more. I was doing that on the top and it still came out like *ish. But over all i'm happy with the tint. It is a must in my opinion.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:29 AM
The knite, how about around the little side windows. Isnt there a line going around the edge of those because of the dots.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Twins are Always Better
I got my tint right after I bought the car. It has been on a year (she's a year old! yay!) and you can look at my website under the photos and I have a close up of the dot matrix on the rear windshield. He put it on with no problem - even his tint rep was there and said the tint now a days can easily go over dots! So maybe that guy was trying to get you to pay more?! I dont know, but definately look around before investing in it!

Old 07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember that my 04's dot matrix sealed perfect. Right now, on 3M after 2 weeks, I can still see some uneaven parts. If you leave it under the sun for a while, it will correct itself. I think you should do the tint and OVER the dot matrix.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM
It's definitely possible to tint over the dot matrix.... For my tint, the person sanded the area down a bit. I think there are a couple of methods, but the person should not just leave that area untinted.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Side

Originally Posted by benbo5
The knite, how about around the little side windows. Isnt there a line going around the edge of those because of the dots.
Actually the side windows came out perfect. You will always see the lighter line where the dots are, but it's much darker and even everywhere compared to the rear.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:09 PM
G'z 6MT
I had my G tinted a while back, Tinter used product called "Black Vinyl" on the Dot Matrix in the back window. Real nice job.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Amp
I actually just had my rear window re-tinted today but not because of the dot matrix. There were some bubbles in other places that I didn't like. The first time around once it dried the dot matrix looked fine. I'm hoping that will be the case this time as well. Tomorrow I will see if I can take some pics for you.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I took the tint from the back of my prelude, the little strips that clear the foggy window came out with it too.

Your rear fog strips are still 100% intact? If so, how long have you had your rear tint on (before replacing)?

Old 07-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your tinter can't get your rear tint to stick to the matrix, says you can't tint the top, or says you have to paint the top, then your tinter is incompetent.

That's what my tinter said, and all three of my cars have a matrix on top, and all three are tinted just fine. (G included)

Old 07-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
asdfg

Last edited by EricIsKlumzyee; 09-17-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by avs007
If your tinter can't get your rear tint to stick to the matrix, says you can't tint the top, or says you have to paint the top, then your tinter is incompetent.

That's what my tinter said, and all three of my cars have a matrix on top, and all three are tinted just fine. (G included)
I agree. My neighbor does all the tinting for Porsche and Lexus and he is the only person I let tint any of my vehicles. He said the same thing. There is actually a product that he uses to smooth them out a little for better adhesion to the dot matrix areas. So I would try to find a competent tinter and tint over them!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dot Matrix question for the tinted rides