Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Those with the clearbra...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those with the clearbra...HELP

Hey,
I just recently got a clearbra done, and while I thought that everything is going to be covered to the exact point, found out after the install, that the all the edges are exposed(clearbra ends ~5mm before the edge). Did my installer do it wrong or is this how the clearbra is supposed to be like...?

Thanks.

Last edited by brisk; 09-21-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:57 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
mine is like this.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Evil Bastard
i would hope the installer and/or manufacturer gave you a warranty on the work and quality?

Tell them to fix it. It's NOT supposed to be like that. All parts of the clear bra should be making contact with the bumper/mirror/****.

good luck in any case.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:10 PM
thanks for the replies

maybe i wasn't too clear...
i meant that the clear bra ends ~5mm before the edges on the hood/bumper/fender.
so there is like ~5mm of exposed paint surface.
was it done correctly? shouldn't the clearbra like wrap around the edges?

thanks again.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on the installer. If they used a kit, most likely it will be like that. Custom installers who don't use kits wrap edges and also charge significantly more.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wrapping all the way to the edge or around the edge usually costs more and is a custom install...

Old 09-21-2005, 10:30 PM
most installers are telling me that wrapped edges will peel because there is no adhesion around the curve, but this ONE installer is telling me that they do it all the time and had no problems with peeling.??? any thoughts?

Old 09-22-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by brisk
most installers are telling me that wrapped edges will peel because there is no adhesion around the curve, but this ONE installer is telling me that they do it all the time and had no problems with peeling.??? any thoughts?
The installers who are telling you "it will peel" are probably the ones that can not do it right. All my cars had it done custom w/ wrapped edges, and there are no peeling at all. That's why it's so crucial to find an experienced reputable installer who could do good custom work. Many installers who does only pre-cut kits aren't able to do custom work, therefore they will try to scare you away from getting it done. I've had that happen to me before, but I just figured they weren't experienced enough to do it.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Banned
A good custom installer will do a perfect job of wrapping the clear bra around the edges with absolutely no adhesion problems. My car is like this. The entire front bumper, front OEM lip, hood, and rear bumper are covered. Take a look at the pics and see if you can see any seams.

See more of my car here:

http://aeterna.us/aeterna/home.htm

If you like what you see, and you are in the NYC area, I can recommend a clear bra perfectionist installer:

Secondary Exposure Inc.
Thomas Cheng
85-25 60th Road, Suite 2C
Middle Village, NY 11379
Tel: 917.225.6531
secondaryexposure@yahoo.com
www.se-ex.com

Last edited by sillief00l; 09-22-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:30 PM
damn...i think i got ripped off from my installer. any ideas to how i can make him wrap the edges or refund me the money back? i want the wrapped edges!!!

thanks.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:54 AM
It sounds like you have a pre-cut kit.........this is normal. Pre-cuts were designed to some degree for the installer in mind....some pre-cuts are in multiple pcs for the bumper while some offers only 1 pc. However, pre-cuts were not designed to be wrapped around.......to have custom work done, experience and field expertise is the key.

Here are some pics of a Gallardo we helped redo because the customer was not happy with an out-of state installer. The previous installation had 3 pcs for the bumper, which we pulled and installed it in one pc, along with the entire front fenders, and whole hood.

Attached Thumbnails Those with the clearbra...-6.jpg   Those with the clearbra...-7.jpg   Those with the clearbra...-5.jpg   Those with the clearbra...-2.jpg   Those with the clearbra...-9.jpg  

Old 09-23-2005, 03:32 AM
damn! thats good stuff. i found an installer that does wrapped edges with their own custom design, but i don't feel like forking out another $600 dollars just to redo a bra that i just got put on 2 days ago!!! ahhh this is driving me nuts! i only went with this installer because people said this guy does a good job(apparently didn't know about the edges!!!) what should i do?

thanks again.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:06 AM
Honestly, just hang on to it.......it's not the installer's fault that you don't have the films tucked. Most installers on the mkt do not know how to do such custom work........your bra will do its job in protecting the front end. When it comes time to sell the car and the bra is banged up, just pull it off to reveal the pristine paint.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. Doesn't make much difference if it's wrapped or not. As long as it ends very close to the edge, and is a smooth install. I've had cars done both ways, and it depends on the installer. Next time, if you want it wrapped, make sure you ask.

Old 09-25-2005, 01:16 AM
wrapped edges are 100% more prone to failure if you live in the snow belt. They are marketing gone wrong... 5mm is like 3/8th of an inch. Probably more of a gap them I would like but there are a lot of variables. The one on my car (dealer installed) has gaps of maybe 1/32 in most places though there are variations. The one I did myself is maybe 1/16 in most places and more in other areas - the stuff is a pain to put on. In the end I guess it doesn't much matter as long as it is installed it is going to do its job. :shrug:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those with the clearbra...