Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Seibon Ts Hood Warning!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seibon Ts Hood Warning!!!

By having three open vents on each side I'm worried about rain/water damaging the engine or electrical wiring?
And also the filter of (my Z-tube w/pop-charger) sits right under the last open vent

Has anyone else have this situation

So then why the Topsecret CF Hood has plastic drainage system under the vents of the driver side

I think there something to be concern about
And do we need a solution

AND FOR THE RECORD THE SEIBON TS HOOD IS A AMAZING HOOD; FROM QUALITY TO FITMENT

Old 09-30-2005, 01:54 PM
is a picture available?
(not the official picture of Ts hood but the hood mounted on your car and etc.)

Old 09-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Never enough
I guess it just depends on what hood you get, knd of like a gamble. Mine fit like ****! Anyway during the winter why not just but duct tape on the inside.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah I'd like to see pics of your hood fitted, like to see how the gaps are etc.

Thanks.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Everything under your hood, at one point or another gets wet when you use your car in the rain or snow. Infiniti has done it's best to keep the engine compartment water tight, but its the nature of the beast, and water will find its way in, even to your OEM filter. Small amounts won't harm anything, and under everyday driving conditions, you'll never get much water will build up on anything anyways, so there's really never anything to worry about. Even the alternator is located on the bottom half of the engine, something you would NEVER find on an older car (who's alternators were quite water sensitive), so they would always place them up high and advise consumers to never get it wet, but with the advent of technology, many parts of todays engines are better designed to take "a beating". Now it's not advisable to submerge such an item and expect it to work, but to have water drip down on to it, shouldn't pose a huge problem to ones vehicles. The ONLY thing I would worry about is if you have an open element filter. Small drips won't harm it, but if a puddle forms on it, then you may have a soak through issue. You won't hydro-lock your engine (biggest myth out there) but what you'll do is wet out or possibly short out your MASS air sensor, in which your car may not start or run right, till it's dried off or replaced.

With any vented style hood, just like most aftermarket parts (I have said once and I'll say it again) - It's a give and take business. You give something up, for something in return. They're obvioulsy not designed for everyone and everyday conditions like OEM parts.

Designing an under tray for the Seibon hood, wouldn't be a hard task, and yes the TS hood does come with one (sort of one), but the amount of $$$ you have to shell out for a TS hood, you can buy two Seibon hoods and still have enough money in your pocket to take your girl out for a steak dinner at Peter Lugars, and maybe even a movie (lol)...

I have seen the TS hood in person, and fitment wise, it's really not much better than the Seibon hood, but one thing that I did notice about the TS hood is the carbon fiber weave was finer and laid out cleaner, but then again I only saw a partial section (as the rest of the hood was painted), but needless to say, it still doesnt justify the high price.

I have the TS style Seibon hood and it looks great! Two of my friends have the same one, and another (who I'm in the process of having painted) has the JS style, and we're all very satisfied. From the build, to the fit to the price.

If you're worried about the water getting into the vent over your filter, you can do one of two things, close that vent up from the rear (make it a dummy vent) or simply go out (to like the depot) and get a piece of aluminum ducting, and bend it into a small V-shaped drain tray, and epoxy it on right under the vent. Drill a hole at the end furthest away from the filter and there you have it. water will fall into it, slide over to the side, and drain out and away from your filter. If you're in the NYC tri-state area, and would be willing to stop by my shop, I'll even help you make it...

Old 09-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Johnny, you keep talking yourself into more projects, lol.

Good write up though. I have to agree, I don't think water will hurt in small drops, but I'd always rather be safe than sorry.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:46 PM
I used to have the TS style hood on my G - drove through many rain storms and over many puddles and parked it outside my house every night and never had one problem!

Old 09-30-2005, 02:52 PM
^^until it flew off while you were on the highway!!

LOOL!!

Old 09-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by pdjafari
^^until it flew off while you were on the highway!!

LOOL!!
Ouch, that was a low blow to Jon. LOL.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by coupin827
Ouch, that was a low blow to Jon. LOL.
its ok,
he knows we got love for da G Squad!!

Old 09-30-2005, 03:18 PM
NOT FUNNY!!!!

hahahahaha...u ******!

Ur just mad because ive broken more parts than youve ever had!!!

Muhahahahahaha!

Old 09-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
NOT FUNNY!!!!

hahahahaha...u ******!

Ur just mad because ive broken more parts than youve ever had!!!

Muhahahahahaha!
Ohhhh, those are fighting words!!!!

Old 09-30-2005, 11:27 PM
The reason of this thread is because yesterday it rained really really bad, I didn't drive it when it was raining, but that night when rain stopped I was driving on the highway and when I got to 80mph the car automatically had shut down on me. So I went to the side of the road, I impatiently waited like 5 minutes and started the car? It turned out to be okay? No weird noise, check light, or anything?? It was normal? Then I decided to head back home, on the why I wanted to attempt if it would happen again, so I accelerated hard and when it got to 70mph it had shut down again. I was about to flip the f-out. But then repeated the same process as before and the car seems to be okay?????
Today the car was fine, but I didn't attempt to go over 65mph..
So that’s the reason of this thread………
Would water be traveling through the vent into my filter and causing this problem???
I made an appointment for service, so we’ll see what happens next...
Any thoughts????

Old 09-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Good looking out!!! Ducatiguy

Old 09-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It could happen....

Like I had mentioned, if water soaks through your airfilter, it can "short out" the heated elements within the MASS air sinsor. What am I talking about? Inside the MASS air sensor, you have a series of tiny heated coils (sensors) that cool off as air pass over them. The more air that passes through, the more they cool off. It then converts this info into an electrical signal the computer uses to determine how much fuel (in cordination with your TPS throttle position sensor) to give the engine.

When you get water into the MASS air sensor, the tiny heated sensors "short out" and in a way shut off, so as you begin (or continue) to gas the car, the comp is getting mixed signals (recieving and sending out), so the engine will begin to stutter and die out. In your case, at such a high speed, you may not get the stutter, instead your engine will simply shut down. It's very possible.

I'm not sure such an event will set off or store a trouble code that the dealer could check. It's also not something that can be found once after the water that entered the MASS air sensor has all been gone. A tech could look for "water streaks" or "vapor spots" within the MASS air sensor and intake tract, but even that begines to get tricky depending on how much water actually got in, and how hot your engine and components were at the time of the event....

FYI: Other known "engine die out" problems that have been associated with our cars, has been poor grounds. Just something else to think about...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seibon Ts Hood Warning!!!