Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hood phase III complete!!!! It's installed **Pics**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When dealing with any "pearl" paint, getting it to match the factory body color 100% is nearly impossible. You'll never get the EXACT color match in that it would be very very hard (next to impossible) to blend the paint in such a manor (from the same batch used overseas) to achieve the exact same OEM color.

The trick is to get it as close to perfect as possible and with that, you need to start with good paint, a good mixing, and a good spray (lay down). When done right, a result that's within 90-99% is more than accceptable, and Coupins hood falls within that percentage. Another factor is "weathering", as the OEM paint that's on that car is almost always a shade darker (specially lighter colored cars) due to everyday use (dark colors tend to get lighter), water damage, sunlight, and improper surface care (yes even those of use who are clean freak, this can happen to us too).

Most anything pearl or metallic (specially an IP color) will be very hard to match perfectly, and in some colors the difference will only be noticable in direct sunlight and in some only in the dark (as odd as that may seem). John's camera angle and the way the suns reflection (off any pearl or metalic) is the cause of any "less pearl" effect. Angles of such can also change the shade of a pearl or metalic car, due to the pearl catching or reflecting the light hitting it. Up close and in person the pearl effect is quite noticable, and to say "it needs more pearl" without seeing the car (hood) first hand in person, well that's just ignorant, as the pearl is applied over the base and is mixed in proportion to the painted surface. I can take a hundred pictures of John's car and manipulate the angles in a way you would never even think it had pearl in the paint, so to base your judgement on the amount of pearl it has from a picture is very much to wrong.

Last but not least, the clear coat on Coupins hood is super fresh, super clean. This will make the color (underneath it) appear to be whiter or in a sense brighter, and over time (what you often hear people talk about) it'll blend in better with some age (John's paint on his car is 2.5 years old), and that is actually due to the clear coat weathering a bit. Picture this a pane of glass, now take a brillo pad and scuff it up a bit. When you look through that pane, everything behind it will dull up. Your clear coat over the months and years goes through the same process. Maybe not as harsh as a brillo pad (I hope not) but it does effect the paints gleam and shine underneath it and can even change its shade.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Never enough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ducatiguy
Gotta love the forum critics... LOL...
Cmon now isnt that why we post? If your posting a pic you should be ready for that. I think we all are. BTW the paint wont fade to match. I love when a painter says that!

Old 10-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Never enough
When dealing with any "pearl" paint, getting it to match the factory body color 100% is nearly impossible. You'll never get the EXACT color match in that it would be very very hard (next to impossible) to blend the paint in such a manor
I agree with this. But I dunno about the rest But who says we have to see eye to eye.
I would rock that hood the way it is, it looks great. I was just bustin your ***** a bit

Old 10-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by G352NV
Cmon now isnt that why we post? If your posting a pic you should be ready for that. I think we all are. BTW the paint wont fade to match. I love when a painter says that!
I'll respectibly disagree with you on that, my bumpers have faded some to match the OEM paint more since I've gotten them. I can take the "critics" but I've yet to see an IP coupe w/ aftermarket parts match better than mine and that's not because it's mine.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Never enough
Originally Posted by coupin827
I'll respectibly disagree with you on that, my bumpers have faded some to match the OEM paint more since I've gotten them. I can take the "critics" but I've yet to see an IP coupe w/ aftermarket parts match better than mine and that's not because it's mine.
Dont get me wrong I think your car looks great.
There is no way your going to get a perfect match with a tri coat without blending into the rest of the car.
That said I dunno why you guys think paint is going to fade or yellow because its fresh. This might be true back in the day when single stage paints were used but not today in this age. Atleast not in four years. Todays basecoat clearcoat paints have a ton of UV protect in them. This will hold out the suns bleaching effects and weathering.
One of the problems with color matching is the clear. Ive shot Dupont,PPG, House Of Kolor and they are not all the same in color. Ive found that PPG 2042 clear is the best for matching. It has a yellow to it that works well. HOK UC35 is more clear in color and Dupont is somewhere in the middle. These are my finding but hey what do I know I only have a cert in PPG.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Pa. G Squad (Philly)
Looks great John! What's next?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Hmmmmmm, not sure, maybe saving some money hahahaa.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Never enough
Cmon now! I want more pics!!!

Old 10-16-2005, 09:25 PM
OK, here another one.

Attached Thumbnails Hood phase III complete!!!! It's installed **Pics**-driver.jpg  
Old 10-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Never enough
Fuggin money!! Those other pics do nothing for that hood! Now we can see the big picture!!

Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks man, appreciate the love since your ride is so sick. So, should FI be the next mod?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Never enough
Oh yeah! Go for the TN kit, its cheap and looks and performs great! If it wasnt for me and being mister extreme I would have put it on my car.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah thats what I was looking into, probably a winter project, like 3-4 months away.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Now thats what we need - Full body shots! Tell me that doesnt look hot? As for the clear coat used on Coupins hood, it's from Dupont. I've tried various brands, Nasan, PPG and Tiff's Clear. For small jobs, Nasan's works good, but I like the Dupont for larger projects. I've found the Dupont to be very well resistant to weathering, and when I mentioned "allowing time for the paint to age"... I was refering more so to the clear, than the paint. The paint will always be "the paint" it wont change at all (as long as it stays underneath the clear) but what makes it look like its changing is the surface clear, which with time weathers and changes the paints gleam and luster.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Duc, check out the pictures section, I uploaded like 10 new pics, looks fabulous. Thanks for all the help, when do we begin our secret project?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hood phase III complete!!!! It's installed **Pics**