Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Doing a 06 Headlight conversion - few Q's about what each light area does...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing a 06 Headlight conversion - few Q's about what each light area does...

I've been searching around the forums for the past few days, and *think* I have figured out what the differences between an 03 headlight and an 06 would be. I'm having a buddy at a local bodyshop throw the new headlights in for me, and he won't have a lot of time between projects to do it. Here's the info I gathered, and the questions I still have:

For the 06:

a. Projector headlights - D2S bulb (function as both low and high beam by moving the lens)

b. Clearance Stripe - Gone

c. What used to be the Fog/High beam - (H1) Now the Clearance light?
here's my first problem - I'm assuming that this now turns on with the parking lights? Also, when does the "city light" bulb inside this reflector turn on? and is it a T20 or T10 bulb? Or am I mistaken, and the city light is connected to the parking lights, with the H1 still turning on with the high beams and acting as a fog light?

d. The parking light/turn signal built into the headlight - Its clear, and only a turn signal now? For those with stock 06's, does this light up amber or clear when blinking? And, by US law, does a front turn signal have to light up amber? I know side markers must REFLECT amber... not sure on fronts...

Sorry for the oddly laid out post, but I would really like to know 100% what bulbs I'm going to need and what each one now does, before the headlights come in on Tuesday. The owner of the shop is letting my buddy do this for me for free, as long as it doesn't eat up too much time. If anyone with an 06, one of the few who have done the conversion already, or even someone who has seen an 06 at night could help with any of these questions, it would be a big help. Thanks!

Old 11-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a) Correct

b) Correct again

c) The lower housing now has the fog lamp ( H1 bulb ) and turns on when you turn the fog lamp switch, nothing to do with your high beams, though it may turn off when you turn on your high beams as with most oem fogs. The lower housing also has a city light ( T10/168/194 bulb ). Not sure how this turns on but I am pretty sure it turns on with your instrument lights ( the position after the "auto" on your light stalk )

d) The cleared out front turn signal lights up amber. But it only turns on when you are signalling.

This is how the 06s are setup, if you are wiring to an 03 I would guess that you would just loose the high beam functionality from the lower housing, and use the clearance light connection for the city light. The turning signal light may stay on all the time on the 03. Somebody(G6MT) did a conversion on this forum already, he should give you a better answer.

Last edited by tomcatm; 11-01-2005 at 03:45 PM.