Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Fiberglass or Urethane?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G352NV
Thats the only part I hate about the net. Everyone knows everything. I would think that the fact that you can bend a piece of urethane without damage to the paint would say enough. PPG makes a product thats called bumper prep. It comes with a with a scuffie and a wash along with a plastic promoter. I attended a PPG cert class last year where they passed around a piece of urethane that was painted and preped with the bumper prep. We all bent it in half and no damage was done. So how is glass better? Tell me again.

VERY GOOD! Thank you. Now wasnt that so much better than having some cocky smartass comment? Now everyone else can learn something new. Next time, if you see an opportunity to help someone, add new information, or correct someone... please do so. Thats what these forums are all about. I have no idea why you feel the need to be so bitter and offensive. Thats the only part I hate about the net. People like to play the "badass" and always trying to start little online fights

Now, I'm sure some other people on this forum and myself would be currious about this paint job. Can you tell us more about it? Thank you!

Old 02-04-2006, 02:05 AM
Never enough
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
VERY GOOD! Thank you. Now wasnt that so much better than having some cocky smartass comment? Now everyone else can learn something new. Next time, if you see an opportunity to help someone, add new information, or correct someone... please do so. Thats what these forums are all about. I have no idea why you feel the need to be so bitter and offensive. Thats the only part I hate about the net. People like to play the "badass" and always trying to start little online fights

Now, I'm sure some other people on this forum and myself would be currious about this paint job. Can you tell us more about it? Thank you!
As you know we go back a little ways. You know, knock offs. I always see you post about the price of paint or knock offs and it ticks me a bit. Paint and bodywork is very hard work and I hate will people think its easy. I guess to many years of hearing it has got to me.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:42 AM
As you know we go back a little ways. You know, knock offs. I always see you post about the price of paint or knock offs and it ticks me a bit. Paint and bodywork is very hard work and I hate will people think its easy. I guess to many years of hearing it has got to me.
Yeah, I know how we go back a little ways, but I thought we put that asside. In any case, can you shed some light on that PPG paintjob? I'd love to learn more about it. Cost, availability, pros and cons?

Old 02-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Never enough
I would just go to a shop that deals in PPG and ask them to use it. Is about 30.00 so a lot of shops dont use it but its worth it to me. I just cant think of the name right now. When I get home from the shop tomorrow night Ill post what its called. It really makes things easy. I scuff a bumper wipe it down and shoot the promoter on then paint, very easy to use.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drew,

It's not even a question. Urethane is definitely the way to go. Fiberglass just doesn't hold up the same. Listen to G352NV, he knows what he's talking about.

And if you think fiberglass is superior than why are all factory original bumpers made out of urethane?

Old 02-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
Drew,

It's not even a question. Urethane is definitely the way to go. Fiberglass just doesn't hold up the same. Listen to G352NV, he knows what he's talking about.

And if you think fiberglass is superior than why are all factory original bumpers made out of urethane?
Dont get ABS plastic and urethane confused. They're very different. Factory OEM bumpers are made of ABS plastic. They're much more rigid, and dont sag over time like some poly urethane kits do.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I would just go to a shop that deals in PPG and ask them to use it. Is about 30.00 so a lot of shops dont use it but its worth it to me. I just cant think of the name right now. When I get home from the shop tomorrow night Ill post what its called. It really makes things easy. I scuff a bumper wipe it down and shoot the promoter on then paint, very easy to use.
One of my main concern is how urethane kits sag. G352NV, do poly urethane kits still have a tendency to sag and lose shape/fitment over time? Also, how easily can a poly urethane bumper be modifed and customized? Example: hypothetically, I want the Impul kit front bumper, but dont want a license plate on. Can the polyurethane bumper be modified and have the license plate mount shaved off?

If today's polyurethane kits dont sag, and can be customized as easily... then, imo, a high quality urethane kit is better than fiberglass in just about every catagory.

Last edited by Silverbolt; 02-04-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i just got a nismo front and impul sides (replicas) .. $450 bucks for sides and front + $700 for paint and prep ...fitment is really good ...dude i bought it from fitted the pieces for me before i bought them. yeah it might not hold up as good as urathane but im a pretty safe driver and i doubt i'll be hitting any curbs ... if you have the money i say go for the original if you dont replicas will hold up just fine if you take care of them ..

Old 02-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Never enough
One of my main concern is how urethane kits sag. G352NV, do poly urethane kits still have a tendency to sag and lose shape/fitment over time? Also, how easily can a poly urethane bumper be modifed and customized? Example: hypothetically, I want the Impul kit front bumper, but dont want a license plate on. Can the polyurethane bumper be modified and have the license plate mount shaved off?

If today's polyurethane kits dont sag, and can be customized as easily... then, imo, a high quality urethane kit is better than fiberglass in just about every catagory.
Yep some do. Just depends on who makes them. I painted this chevy about two years ago. The bumper is a Street Sceen urethane bumper. It was all over the place so much so it was hard to paint. Im friends with the guy that owns it. To this day hes had no problems with it, no chipping no cracking nothing. That was before PPG's new product and its still going strong.
As for modding one. I once molded a urethane kit to a honda civic with duramix and fiberglass. It turned out sweet and won many shows. That guy also never had any problems. Ive never added urethane but it can be done. They make plastic welders with different sticks. Anyway off to the shop, when I get home Ill have the name of that bumper prep.

Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass or Urethane?-img_4290_1.jpg  
Old 02-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont deal with replicas unless you are willing to spend alot of money. G352NV is right about replicas being wavy. Most bodyshops wont put the time and effort to make it perfect looking and if they do, they will charge you an arm and a leg. If you dont care about it being perfect looking then go for it, but i had an impul replica kit before on my other car and i wasnt impressed with the fitment. ALso, you should know that the middle of the rear bumper where the trunk opening is sags down a little and isnt completely aligned with the trunk. I think it has something to do with the mold....i thought it was just the one i got, but from pics ive seen of other peoples, its the same

Last edited by ColdFusion; 02-04-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColdFusion
Dont deal with replicas unless you are willing to spend alot of money. G352NV is right about replicas being wavy. Most bodyshops wont put the time and effort to make it perfect looking and if they do, they will charge you an arm and a leg. If you dont care about it being perfect looking then go for it, but i had an impul replica kit before on my other car and i wasnt impressed with the fitment. ALso, you should know that the middle of the rear bumper where the trunk opening is sags down a little and isnt completely aligned with the trunk. I think it has something to do with the mold....i thought it was just the one i got, but from pics ive seen of other peoples, its the same

the replicas i bought fit pretty good..nothing a good shop cant fix. the shop im taking my kit to deals with replicas all the time , theyve done work on my car and ive seen replicas theyve worked on. after im done im looking at $1150 for a nismo front, impul sides,paint,prep, and any fitment issues ...i guess if you know a good shop whos willing to work on it its not so bad.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:37 PM
As for modding one. I once molded a urethane kit to a honda civic with duramix and fiberglass. It turned out sweet and won many shows. That guy also never had any problems. Ive never added urethane but it can be done. They make plastic welders with different sticks. Anyway off to the shop, when I get home Ill have the name of that bumper prep.
Was the civic a daily driven car?

Old 02-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by ColdFusion
Buying replicas can be good, and can be very bad. Its all about who you buy it from, and luck plays a good part in it too. I had a Mugen replica front lip on my civic, and the fitment was amazing!!! I think the reason why I like fiberglass is because I've always had good luck with buying fiberglass replicas, and when I used to work at car shop, the place we got our bodykits from did great work. 350forums used to sell body kits here in the forums. At first, his kits were flawless, but towards the end, they got really bad and had alot of fitment issues on some of their kits. I bought mine from them and was lucky enough to get a good quality replica. Also, G35Putih sells replicas, and from I've seen, I think the quality of his kits are REALLY good!! He has pictures of his kits, and it shows how snug his kits hold on. I bought the face ducts from him, and they fit like a glove! I just hope the quality of his kits dont go down like 350forums' did.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Never enough
Was the civic a daily driven car?
Yes it was.
The product is called one choice by PPG. BTW the average person wont see all the waves in a bumper. Every knock off has em. Im not going to go into knock offs vs the real deal. Everyone knows where I stand on this. I guess you just have to do paint work to know the difference. But when you get your knock off painted and then look at it and see waves you'll now know why. There will be a lot of you that will now look at their cars and see it, now that its posted.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Yes it was.
The product is called one choice by PPG. BTW the average person wont see all the waves in a bumper. Every knock off has em. Im not going to go into knock offs vs the real deal. Everyone knows where I stand on this. I guess you just have to do paint work to know the difference. But when you get your knock off painted and then look at it and see waves you'll now know why. There will be a lot of you that will now look at their cars and see it, now that its posted.
I've always seen slight waviness to fiberglass kits. I'll double check this thursday and compare it to an authentic kit to see the differences. Also, its strange, but the kit I had on civic was very smooth! If my mugen lip didnt come with the Mugen badge riveted on, I would have thought it was authentic!

Also, I posted another thread asking about a special clear coat that I've heard is supposed to be very strong, flexible and will not chip. I understood it to function as a clear bra, but actually painted on instead. Heres the thread.
https://g35driver.com/forums/interior-exterior/84522-clear-bra-clear-coat.html
Do you know anything about this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass or Urethane?