Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clear bra clear coat???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra clear coat???

What is this clear coat that I've been hearing about? I guess its supposed to be like a clear bra, but painted on over the bumper instead? Anyone have any info on this? I'm going to re-paint my bumper soon because its become covered with rock chips and looks horrible. I was thinking about going to a better bodyshop and getting a clear bra right after, but if theres an alternative to the clear bra, I'd be interested in learning more about it!

Old 02-04-2006, 05:58 PM
honestly id rather have a clear bra than some coating on my bumper.. clear bra can easily be removed.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:40 PM
where would you get the clear bra from ?

Old 02-04-2006, 07:23 PM
there are a bunch here in CA, but i dont know for texas you're gonna have to search around..

Old 02-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by imalazeeass
honestly id rather have a clear bra than some coating on my bumper.. clear bra can easily be removed.
Why wouldnt you want a clear coat that doesnt get rock chips? Soon, I'm going to have my front bumper painted over again. If its reasonably priced, I'd rather have them use that super strong clear coat, instead of paying for a shop to customize a clear bra to fit on my car.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
Why wouldnt you want a clear coat that doesnt get rock chips? Soon, I'm going to have my front bumper painted over again. If its reasonably priced, I'd rather have them use that super strong clear coat, instead of paying for a shop to customize a clear bra to fit on my car.
You wouldn't say so if you've actually seen what it looked like on the car. I was at the track a few months ago and a guy with a 360 had the spray on coating. I had a talk with him and he said he regreted getting the spray. For starters, the coating is more noticeable than the clear bra. He also mentioned the fact that it is a permanent spray, and that if the coating gets scuffed or damaged in any ways, they would need to spot treat the area or add another coating over the damaged area. Essentially, the coating just keeps getting thicker, and it can not be removed. When I got the chance to check out what it really looked like in person, I definitely noticed that there was a coating on the car. The orange peel texture was even worst than the 3m film. I don't get why anyone would want to put a permanent coating on OE paint in the first place. And from what I've heard, the coating cost this guy close to 2k.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by gDriven
You wouldn't say so if you've actually seen what it looked like on the car. I was at the track a few months ago and a guy with a 360 had the spray on coating. I had a talk with him and he said he regreted getting the spray. For starters, the coating is more noticeable than the clear bra. He also mentioned the fact that it is a permanent spray, and that if the coating gets scuffed or damaged in any ways, they would need to spot treat the area or add another coating over the damaged area. Essentially, the coating just keeps getting thicker, and it can not be removed. When I got the chance to check out what it really looked like in person, I definitely noticed that there was a coating on the car. The orange peel texture was even worst than the 3m film. I don't get why anyone would want to put a permanent coating on OE paint in the first place. And from what I've heard, the coating cost this guy close to 2k.
wow... thats good info to know! I thought it would have looked perfectly clear and oem... as if there was nothing added at all. Unless they make it better... it looks like I'll be getting a custom fit clearbra.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
wow... thats good info to know! I thought it would have looked perfectly clear and oem... as if there was nothing added at all. Unless they make it better... it looks like I'll be getting a custom fit clearbra.
No prob. I would have thought the same if I hadn't seen it in person.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:12 PM
The spray on type is a permanent application, which means that if it is scuffed up and cannot be spot treated, then you would need to apply another layer.....eventually, it'll get pretty thick. On the other side, clear bras are temporary applications that can be pulled off later w/o any adverse effects to the paint.