Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

body shop experts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body shop experts?

hey guy quick question...i just got the car back from the body shop..i have the greddy sideskirts and front and kenstlye rear...all fiberglass parts..i have a birllaint silver car..why does the parts look wavy after its painted..and the skirts are rough..not smooth..is there something the body shop missed during the prep work?any suggestions?the front bumper is fine...but the sides and rear are too rough and hazy...what should I do?I can ask them to redo it.which they will..but what can I suggest they do to make the paint smooth and glossy just like the rest of the car?thanks in advance

Old 03-24-2006, 01:11 AM
THE BATMOBILE
doesnt sound good.......pics would help.......take it back to the shop and complain

Old 03-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
the parts look wavy because they are fiberglass. find a corvette and look down the car from the front. you will notice the body is not as smooth and straight as your g. as far as the rough texture, i am assuming that they installed the panels before they painted them on your car. from the limited information given, i will assume that the clearcoat was put on too "dry". whatever the case, if you are dealing with a reputable shop, they should offer to fix it for you. "dry" clearcoats can be wetsanded and buffed. if they offer this, you should be happy with the results. if howver, they offer to respray, see if you can have the parts removed and painted separately. it is much easier for a painter to lay on a smooth coat of clear when he doesn't have to crouch down and contort himself to spray a panel.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming that they didn't prep it properly. The fiberglass kits are wavy to start with, and it needs to be sanded down to get them all nice and smooth.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:41 AM
I tell you what man. Most aftermarken fiberglass parts are complete garbage when you get them. To make them look as good as possible, the parts need to be sanded completely smooth. A lot of times some sort of filler may be needed to make the part "streight." Then they must be primed, then sanded again, perhaps primed again, sanded down, and then painted. I guess it depends on what they charged you for. It takes a lot of labor to make them perfect.