Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

KurumaZ Diffuser . pics and review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KurumaZ Diffuser . pics and review

Just finished installing this on my Coupe and figured I'd take some pics and give a review.

Initial Impression: KurumaZ has done a great job making these, the fiberglass is some of the best I've ever seen on any aftermarket parts. The diffuser comes in a black gel coat finish. You could install the piece and not even bother to paint it, but the gel coat will scratch easily (mine had a few minor scratches right out of the box).

Fitment: Thankfully, all the holes are already drilled into the diffuser, which saves time and trouble with getting them drilled properly. Before doing any painting or prepwork, I test fit it on the car using the license plate mounting bolts and the 2 clips on the underside. It fit great, so I popped it off and got busy prepping and spraying the primer.

Painting: Since I've had experience painting parts before, I decided to paint this piece myself. Rather than spray it a standard black color, I went with a dark metalic charcoal color (Rustoleum - Black Night Metallic). I layed down 3 coats of black primer, 5 coats of the Metallic Black, and 4 coats of clearcoat.

Pics of the color once completed:

Installation: Installation was a snap. The diffuser has a molded area on the back side where you will place the double sided tape (supplied with the diffuser). Clean the surfaces of the diffuser and car well with a degreaser to remove any wax or contaminants. Peel off the backing and position into place on the car. Once it was on, I attached the 2 license plate bolts, and replaced the 2 plastic clips under the bumper with new bolts. I tried using the clips when I test fit the piece, but they are too short and wouldn't fit properly. There were also 2 smaller holes on the underside, I used 2 small self-tapping screws to attach to the bumper for extra support.

Here you can see the molded area where the tape goes:

Here is the tape installed on the diffuser:

Final Result:

-Anthony

Old 04-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good

Old 04-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I agree that the fit and quality are great. Here are more pics. Not extreme close-ups, but should give more reference pics. Diffuser was painted satin-black.

*NOT A GAP* above at the upper corner, but just the glare from the upper edge of the diffuser.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 04-19-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:31 PM
THE BATMOBILE
wow great work........love the metallic black..........gtron i love the back of your car

Old 04-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Wow looks good! Nice write up there! Yah I forgot about the clips. I'm going to look into finding maybe a clip that will work better and is deeper, or maybe we can change the thickness in where the clip mounts...

I heard some people had to longer license plate screws? I forgot to take into account many people have upgraded to nice new thick Infiniti or G35 Logo plates...

Just so people know we are moving away from the gel coat and they will come primered flat black. As the gel coat scratches to easy and it should be painted anyways Thanks again guys

Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm running a Slimline LP frame on the rear. I think the screws were a few threads too short, but another 1/4" ensures that everything is on nice and snug. I could only find metric hex-head bolts (hardware store only had one of the proper screw), but they work fine and can still be covered by the screw-head caps.

And thanks truplay8. I know I might take some heat for the NISMO and 350GT emblems, but at least it's sporting some NISMO items. I shaved the rear and then decided against rebadging. Mainly wanted to get rid of the Infiniti emblems and blingy grill to downplay the exterior snob-appeal. After getting the DS spoiler on, the IP rear really needed emblems. I used the 350GT because I had it and liked it's look, and the NISMO to even things out and provide a clue as to the bodywork. Both are located slightly higher than OEM placement of the "G35", as it just looked better tucked a bit under the spoiler.

NISMO is the closest thing to brand identification that's on the outside. That way, when the wrong person asks me what kind of car it is, I can choose to reply 'Nissan makes that! ' and not feel guilty or like I'm being snobby by having to say 'It's an Infiniti.' I'm in a semi-rural area with a fairly low median-income, so discretion can be beneficial at times.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 04-20-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Just ordered

All your guys' reviews have been great at inticing me to order this great looking piece. After looking at some of your reviews I would like a little more detail on the new bolts and clips you guys used to secure the diffuser. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Clips: Bodyshop had whatever was needed, so I'm not sure.

LP bolts: I simply went to the hardware store with the original (short) screw. I found the right thread count/pitch/size that was a 1/4" longer. Can't remember if it's 1/2" replaced with 3/4" or 3/4" replaced with 1", but it was 1/4" longer that what was on the car. It's metric. If you can't find the right screw, a hex-head bolt works as well. That's what's hidden under my screw-head covers.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sweet...appreciate the reply.