Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installing overlays. how?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing overlays. how?

Hello, i just bought some overlays from bat... im kinda nervous on installing them, are they easy to rip :0/ ? Could someone give me a brief overview on how to install them, it would help me ease my mind lol i cant wait to get them!!!!

Old 05-17-2006, 04:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I would get them professionally installed if I were you... I am fairly proficient at modding my car and even painting but those overlays messed w/ my head... I tried the rears myself and after an hour I was banging my head against the wall

I did not attempt the front and will find an installer some time soon.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:38 AM
hmm

:| hmm I emailed a few tint places around my area (Seattle/Lynnwood) and havent found anyone that will actually do them... if anyone knows of someone please let me know. Ill probably end up trying to install them lol, they wont rip or anything right?

Old 05-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem finding an installer, but this is a relatively small city. I ended up going to a vinyl-sign shop (as suggested by the tint shop). He had a really hard time between trimming and melting the GTR3 headlight overlays to fit properly. I stood and watched him work them for 45 minutes. In the end, the fitment was pretty good (much credit to the installer). But I think his frustration and experience with vinyl signs had him thinking that the remaining bubbles would bake out... ...even though the instructions warn against it.

So I was left with ostrich-skin overlays. Without gold-spoke Daytons, it looked out of place. I tried popping the bubbles and letting them bake in the sun but, even with the smallest needle I could find, I was left with dimples everywhere. The bubbles were pretty excessive. Had it not been for those, the overlays would have looked good enough... ...but not as good as most of the pics I've seen where they're flawless.

I had first tried to install a set myself, but didn't realize the trimming invloved, so I was trying to completely shrink them down. Things don't line up well enough for that. lol I did read the install link but I think it was a full overlay for the 350Z rear light. Much easier install with no trimming.

With proper trimming and shrinking, and being sure to get all of those bubbles out, I know they can look really good and offer almost the same results as painting your housings black (for GTR3 headlight overlays).

Last edited by GT-Ron; 05-17-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Soak everything with really soapy water (soak the area you are applying to, and soak the sticky side of the overlay)

2. Place the overlay where you want it. The soapy water will allow you to move it around to get it just right

3. Take a credit card or similar, pref with a very thin towel on it. Use the card to squeege the soapy water out (go from the middle out). Now the adhesive will start to stick

4. Use a hair dryer to make final adjustments and to get rid of any left over water

That's more or less the method. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not as easy as some people make it out to be...get it professionally done. The frustration is just too much.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34653 .

Looking forward to the pics!

Bat™

Old 05-18-2006, 01:58 AM
It really is as easy as these steps. Just give it a try and have some patiences. And dont worry about ripping them; they are fine when stretching with the soap and water.

Now ClearBras are a different story.

Originally Posted by madchef
1. Soak everything with really soapy water (soak the area you are applying to, and soak the sticky side of the overlay)

2. Place the overlay where you want it. The soapy water will allow you to move it around to get it just right

3. Take a credit card or similar, pref with a very thin towel on it. Use the card to squeege the soapy water out (go from the middle out). Now the adhesive will start to stick

4. Use a hair dryer to make final adjustments and to get rid of any left over water

That's more or less the method. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2006, 02:17 AM
THE BATMOBILE
i had a tint shop do it........and after watching him, it looked pretty damn hard

Old 05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
For some reason tint shops have a really hard time applying these...not sure I understand why that is