Notices

Works Bell Paddle Shifters! (56k Go Away!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
where can we get one?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Whoopsie! Plus fix!

So, I did find a little screw-up in my install that did cause a little nuisance issue CEL. So, I had a slight rubbing that was occurring when I turned right and my wheel's bottom "T" branch was just less than 9 o'clock. I didn't think anything of it since it was faint. But alas, my Slip and VDC lights came on. It was intermittent, but started to get worse. Then I got CEL and my speedo died. Rah rah! I used the poor man's method of counting CEL blinks in diagnostic mode (just to make me want an OBDII software suite that much more!) and read the following codes:
1574 Auto Speed Control Device (ASCD) Vehicle Speed Sensor
1212 ABS/TCS Communication Line
1001 CAN Bus Comm Error (This was a U1001 error, found in the FSM)
1000 CAN Bus Comm Error in time (U1000, same as above)

So, I says to myself, what the bleep is going on with a steering wheel control and ABS/TCS? And what's the VSS for? Turns out it's for the cruise controls in the steering wheel. The ABS/TCS comm error ended up having something to do with the airbag deployment, so I figured the problems HAD to originate in the steering column. Then I remembered Logan at Aspec saying "Yeah, the steering wheel turns as smooth as butter! No rubbing or anything." Huh, in my haste, did I miss something in the directions? Why did mine rub? What did it rub?

. . .aparently a freaking hole in the wire insulation of the VSS and ABS/TCS comm line wires! DOH! So underneath the lower column cover is a bunch of harnesses, I almost killed the brown wire!

and the blue wire!

Grrr! Well, onto the fix. I disconnected the battery, twisted the steering wheel so that the brass screw was accessible, like so:

Next I removed the screw, took out the harness, and poor/lazy man's shrink wrapped the exposed wires individually. NOT! (borat) I used electrical tape:

Since I didn't want the rest of the wires to have a remote possibility of getting "scratched" I wrapped them up too:

I tried to re-use the screw, but without taking the steering wheel off, it'd be almost impossible, since you couldn't line the screw up with a driver perfectly straight, and Nissan used a self tapping screw. ?!

Thank God for tiny zip ties!

With this harness all tucked out of the way, I wanted to make sure nothing else would touch. I noticed in the lower half of the steering column cover, if I moved the paddle wires behind the screw posts, there was nothing that could get in the way:

So, now buttoned all back up, and ECU reset, no more CELs codes, no more rubbing, tons more fun!

Last edited by Drewer; 07-31-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry to be commenting on this post SO freaking late, damn near 3 years late, but I just wanted to see how the paddle shifters have withstood the test of time. I'm actually contemplating getting a set of these myself, but I wanted to make sure that it was a good buy, and not something impulsive because I saw someone else do it and it looked cool. Any problems since the wiring fix? Carbon fiber still in good condition?