Notices

Steering wheel angle position sensor reset w/uprev?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering wheel angle position sensor reset w/uprev?

I had to replace my clockspring today and everything went well besides the fact that my vdc and slip lights are all on after everything was installed. Ive searched and found that this is because the steering wheel angle position sensor needs to be reset. I was wondering if instead of going to the dealer to have the sensor reset, is it possible for Uprev to clear this? I was planning on taking my car to get tuned tomorrow and if they can take this out it would save me that trip to the stealership. Does anybody know?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:04 PM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
You need to make sure that the steering wheel is centered (your wheels must be pointed straight) before you remove it.

When you put on the clockspring, you need to make sure that it's centered too. With it off the car, carefully spin it clockwise until it stops; then spin it counterclockwise until it stops, while counting the number of times it spins. I think on mine it spins 4 times from lock to lock. You need to spin it half the amount of total spins and make sure the white rubber nub ends up on top - so I spin mine twice, make sure the white rubber nub is on top, install the steering wheel and everything should be centered.

If you install the clockspring and it's not centered, the car thinks it's turning when you're driving straight, the VDC freaks out and all the lights come on. Hopefully this works, it's pretty easy to fix, but kind of difficult to explain.

The following users liked this post:
Francisco_g35 (02-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by zackt69
You need to make sure that the steering wheel is centered (your wheels must be pointed straight) before you remove it.
I did this. The clockspring spins a total of 5 times. So i i spun it 2 1/2 times and made sure it was in the center. Wheels were strait upon removing wheel as well. (according to my eyesight i dont know how precise the ecu is) I hear that the second the clockspring is removed it throws the sensor off upon reinstalling. Do you think i can simply solve this problem by adjusting it?

Last edited by draco1020x; 07-08-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 PM
rarejdm.com

Yours may have been thrown off somehow, but I've removed and replaced mine numerous times and the only time I've had an issue is when I didn't center the clockspring right.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by zackt69
Yours may have been thrown off somehow, but I've removed and replaced mine numerous times and the only time I've had an issue is when I didn't center the clockspring right.
and how did you go about correcting it when u found out it wasnt centered?

right now Im thinking centering the wheel again with white **** on top, and turn clockspring 360 degrees to left (and check) or 360 degrees right (and check) and see if that works. Im jus afraid of it being too far over one side and i snap it turning the wheel. I noticed the lights only come on after i turn the wheel all the way to the right and not the left. Any suggestions?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:52 AM
rarejdm.com

All I did to correct it was what I had mentioned above. Once I did that, I drove it for a block or so, all the lights went out and everything was back to normal.

I would double check everything again before you head to the dealer... hopefully it's just not centered properly. I have 2 clocksprings in front of me, and both of them only spin a little over 4 times lock to lock. When the wheels are straight and the clockspring is centered, the white **** should end up on top from what I remember.

The following users liked this post:
Francisco_g35 (02-08-2022)
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all you have to do is get it reset through the computer any alignment shop can do it

Old 08-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I removed my steering wheel and I never paid attion to the reinstall so now all the same light come on after driving a few miles. They don't com on rt away. I didn't know all this was somthing that had to be put bacj together a certain way. ( I never did anything like this before ) Hopefully I will try what you are saying and it will fix me problem. It's driving me nuts!!!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by beniscooler850
all you have to do is get it reset through the computer any alignment shop can do it
I would have to make sure all was done rt tho, correct? Cause it all went back together with out a issue.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by 856_reilly
I'm having the same issue. I removed my steering wheel and I never paid attion to the reinstall so now all the same light come on after driving a few miles. They don't com on rt away. I didn't know all this was somthing that had to be put bacj together a certain way. ( I never did anything like this before ) Hopefully I will try what you are saying and it will fix me problem. It's driving me nuts!!!
I did the same thing but my friend actually turned the wheel playing with it and when i went to get it reset they told me the sensor reads my wheel was at 270 degrees to the left so when i turned the wheel my abs kicked in and tried to lock up and flashed the slip and vdc light and then stayed on but reset everytime the car was turned off

Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 PM
From the other thread I posted a link to, I belive Pep Boys can do it for super cheap. They arent going to desassemble anything, just reset the sensor. It does require a specific tool, and I belive it connects thru the OBD plug.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by beniscooler850
I did the same thing but my friend actually turned the wheel playing with it and when i went to get it reset they told me the sensor reads my wheel was at 270 degrees to the left so when i turned the wheel my abs kicked in and tried to lock up and flashed the slip and vdc light and then stayed on but reset everytime the car was turned off
Yea my wheel never moved litteraly it came off and went rt back on,but I never relly paid attentionto the spring. I just put it all back together it went smooth and I thought it was a wrap. Now they all come on,but it's after I drive for like 5 miles or so. My cars getting tuned now soon as it comes back I'm gonna take it apart and do the clockspring turning thing and make sure it's all together right and hopefully it will work.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:11 PM
the clockspring all it does power all your functions on the steering wheel, such as cc, air bag, horn and cd player controls

Old 08-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by MyGeeeee35
From the other thread I posted a link to, I belive Pep Boys can do it for super cheap. They arent going to desassemble anything, just reset the sensor. It does require a specific tool, and I belive it connects thru the OBD plug.
exactly cost me 20

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel angle position sensor reset w/uprev?