Notices

The G35 Interior... Renovated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Amazing job man!

I'm digging the 3-Tone look, although I'm a fan of all black interiors. The steering wheel looks great, and overall the car looks clean in and out. I'd even go as far as to say this is showcar quality.

Now if you can just fix that annoying driver seat corner tear that we all suffer with, you'd be golden lol

Old 07-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Did anyone else notice he has a 3rd-pedal on an Auto (in the 2nd pic)???

Old 07-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
Holy cannoli, good catch. Wussup with that OP!?

Old 07-14-2018, 03:51 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I have the same. It's the clutch pedal provisioned to the emergency brake. Most folks have tried gluing it on. I was able to make a mechanical connection with a black flat head machine screw and locknut on the back. I drilled through the center rubber bump for the screw. There is already a hole in the center of the emergency brake arm (leg?) metal pad that holds the rubber cap for the emergency brake. You notch out the rubber surround that holds the clutch pedal cap to the clutch arm; the notch fits over the emergency brake arm and keeps the assembly from rotating. You don't even see the screw head because it's dark down there.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
I have the same. It's the clutch pedal provisioned to the emergency brake. Most folks have tried gluing it on. I was able to make a mechanical connection with a black flat head machine screw and locknut on the back. I drilled through the center rubber bump for the screw. There is already a hole in the center of the emergency brake arm (leg?) metal pad that holds the rubber cap for the emergency brake. You notch out the rubber surround that holds the clutch pedal cap to the clutch arm; the notch fits over the emergency brake arm and keeps the assembly from rotating. You don't even see the screw head because it's dark down there.
Provide a photo, I was wondering how I could get more surface area on my e-brake pedal for emergency stops... and other reasons.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:58 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
so wat did u do? u cleaned the interior?
This is one thing I agree with you on. I kinda just see a dealership-clean interior.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:59 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I think the entire car looks fantastic. Interior is gorgeous, the drop is perfect and I really like your wheel choice. There's one thing I'm not fond of but it's a personal taste issue and I understand why you did it. Can you guess what it is?
The horrendous side skirts?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RayRoitman
Looks great. Meticulous detail. Like steering wheel. Did you recover that yourself?
Thanks guys!

Yes sir, I did the steering wheel and everything myself. I experimented with plastidip at first to see if I'd like it, and ultimately refinished it with colorbond paint.

For me, the trickiest part was figuring out how to keep or restore the orange stitching on the wheel after painting it since I wanted to maintain that color. Once I realized the paint wasn't designed for fabric and shouldn't be absorbed, I was able to easily (note carefully) take it off of that area leaving behind the factory stitching and an upgraded "oem like" appearance.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Nice man!

What size are those wheels?
20's

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by onevq35de
Looks absolutely fantastic op! I did the same thing. Started August 2017 and finished the performance mod's a few months back. I've owned mine for 15 years.
What did you do with your dash? Mine has several cracks and I think my only option will be to have an interior pro. wrap it and the tops of all 4 doors in black leather.
Thanks and Nice work on the FX.
I removed the dashboard and repaired it using a combination of leather/vinyl filler (two types - one for deep holes and other for fine cracks), adhesive, and prep materials. Most of the products I chose were water soluble so if I made a mistake it was easier to correct and cleanup.

That being said, you can certainly do something similar if you have the skill-set and can afford the downtime. I think it also depends how involved you'd like to get and the level of quality your after. Considering how long you've owned yours and what you've done I'd assume your looking for pro-level, which of course takes time and commitment from us novices. If time is more of an issue, and money is less of one, then yeah, maybe wrap her up... How much does something like that cost?

The following users liked this post:
onevq35de (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Amazing job man!

I'm digging the 3-Tone look, although I'm a fan of all black interiors. The steering wheel looks great, and overall the car looks clean in and out. I'd even go as far as to say this is showcar quality.

Now if you can just fix that annoying driver seat corner tear that we all suffer with, you'd be golden lol
Thanks bro! Yeah that damn tear. It plagues us all.. But I've got plans for it too lol.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I imagine how important prep is but so long as you've got good adhesion, I bet the dash and door tops will last a long time, especially because of where they're located.
Cost would be high to wrap it. There's a chance it can be done without removing the dash but instead by pulling the windshield, or so I was told by a shop that does interiors and exteriors.
If over the years I cracked open windows, did my best to find a shady spot to park at work and threw in a sun deflector, I doubt I'd have this problem. I have a lame-assed dash cover for now to prevent further damage and off-gassing.The FX is and has always been garage kept and 14 years later, crack. Heat and UV are so destructive.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
This is one thing I agree with you on. I kinda just see a dealership-clean interior.
That's kind of the point. To look like it came from the factory that way..

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
The horrendous side skirts?
Horrendous? Well, I like em

Old 07-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm thinking that crack rock...ah, I mean scragglerock might be just a wee bit jealous? Maybe...baby. I've seen a lot of g's and z's and if I owned one, it would be a spitting image of your's op. Well done.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by onevq35de
Thanks for the feedback. I imagine how important prep is but so long as you've got good adhesion, I bet the dash and door tops will last a long time, especially because of where they're located.
Cost would be high to wrap it. There's a chance it can be done without removing the dash but instead by pulling the windshield, or so I was told by a shop that does interiors and exteriors.
If over the years I cracked open windows, did my best to find a shady spot to park at work and threw in a sun deflector, I doubt I'd have this problem. I have a lame-assed dash cover for now to prevent further damage and off-gassing.The FX is and has always been garage kept and 14 years later, crack. Heat and UV are so destructive.
No problem man, happy to exchange notes... If you go down the path of repair, you may want to consider picking up a used dash in decent condition that you can work on leisurely. Even better if you can find one in excellent condition. Should be in the range of 200-500 bucks depending.
Btw, if you think your dash is bad now, just wait until you pull it off. There's a whole lot there that you can't see installed. Good luck either way!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The G35 Interior... Renovated