Notices

Installing GTR Style Smoked Headlight Overlay for Headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing GTR Style Smoked Headlight Overlay for Headlights?

any suggestions on installing the smoked headlight overlay for the 04 headlights? Would it be easier to paint it? any suggestions on taking the headlight apart?

thanks.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:55 AM
I dont understand your question. It would be infinitely easier to just use the overlays instead of paint. You know the overlays go on over the headlight, right? No taking the headlight apart.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:19 AM
I hear it's a pain in the a$$ to do and they bubble up a lot and aren't worth it. I think they look good and I want them but who the heck will install them.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:26 AM
my GTR overlays are in the mail right now. Im planning on just taking them to the place that did my tint- I hear most tint places will install them no problem.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by brittain
my GTR overlays are in the mail right now. Im planning on just taking them to the place that did my tint- I hear most tint places will install them no problem.
I took mine too the place that installed my tint and they did a great job.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:27 AM
i had the hardest time installing mine.. i did the gtr on my tailights and same for the headlights, after dealing with the tails i got to frustrated doing the headlights and gave up

Old 06-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theyre definitely worth it tho. Great things dont come easy. Just take your time and do your best. If you mess up, get it wet and peel it off, try it again. They look hott when youre finished!

Old 06-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
My install guide:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34653

Most people can install these. The key is patience! The end results are fantastic .

Bat™

Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Stealth
it's a pain in the *** when the whole kit doesn't line up.

take apart the headlights with a heat gun make a lot of slow passes.
and use nissan headlight sealer when you seal them up. makesure u cleaned up the old sealent before you use a new one.

or use a WET towel and put your headlight on the WET towel and put it in an oven for about 10-15 minutes.if u have to rewet the towel.and pull apart. and put it together. i think www.ricks2k.com has some instructions on taking a headlight apart underinstallation and jdm clear diffusors.

and there is a projector diy that tells you about the heatgun...

blue's overlays definitly take PATIENTS

the bas side to overlays is the thought of being called rice.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Listen, overlays are a great alternative to cracking open your headlights. It's not rocket science. It just takes a fair amount of patience. If the overlays aren't lining up, you're likely doing something wrong. They are machine cut so, if everyone else is installing them without a problem, the fitment is assumed to be good. The results are well worth the $/time/effort invested. If you don't have the time to tackle the job or just aren't a DIY guy, find a shop that has experience with vinyl overlays. Face it - if you don't have the patience to install the overlays, you won't have the patience to open your headlight assemblies and reseal them properly. I've installed overlays and opened my headlights (on more than one car). Overlays are easier and completely removable. The results are nearly identical. My headlight assemblies are painted yet people are always asking me about my "overlays".

Last edited by k67p67; 06-11-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Regarding the issue of the overlays not lining up, gotta remember the surface is curved, so when you initially place the overlay on the surface, some areas may not appear to line up. Here's where you have to comprise placement and get it as close as you can. Once you begin the process of working the overlay to the surface, you will see that they actually do line up .

Bat™

Old 06-14-2006, 05:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by empfl
any suggestions on installing the smoked headlight overlay for the 04 headlights? Would it be easier to paint it? any suggestions on taking the headlight apart?

thanks.
Bluebatmobile's guide on this page is pretty invaluable as to how to apply the overlays:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34653

Some key points to follow to ensure you get good results installing your overlays (my way):

1. As everyone before me stated, your going to need some patience installing these. If you want these installed right without any blemishes, be prepared to spend a good amount of time ensuring they come out right. Make sure you have all the right tools - heat gun or hair dryer, cloths, credit card like object, beer.

2. Make sure your tailligns/headlights/etc. are really clean prior to putting on these overalys. You don't want any bumps or dirt underneath the overlay. Once the area your applying the overlay to is clean (wash car with car soap and water, dry), I like to clean the area again with 90-100% isopropyl alchohol (not rubbing alchohol) just to be ****.

3. Use a spray bottle (you can buy one at walmart) filled with soapy water (more water than soap) and lightly spray down the sticky part of the overlay and the area you will be applying the overlay to before laying the overlay down.

Follow Bluebat's directions in heating up the overlay (not too much heat, just enough to make it stick). Then Squeegy it from the middle outward to the edges with a credit card wrapped in a soft cloth. Follow behind it with the blow dryer again in your other hand. Repeat as necessary. If you've evaporated the liquid underneath the overlay and part of the overlay hasn't quite adhered the way you want it to, gently peel that part of the overlay from the tailight/headlight and use the spray bottle and spray that part of the overlay and area again, and re heat and re squeegy until that part is smoothed out. Keep doing this until the overlay is smoothed out and adheres to your tailight/headlight the way you want it. Keep squeegying/light blow drying so there is no moisture left under the overlay when you have it completely smooth.

When doing this part of the install, go slowly as you do not want to make any folds in the overlay while heating and squeegying it.

When its finished and the overlay is smoothly on your taillight/headlight with no wrinkles, let your car bake in the sun to evaporate any left over bubble/moisture for good measure.

Hope I didn't complicate things. This is just the way I do it and so far i've done the overlay installs for dabomb, 98Intrique, chucky and soon Gilley (he ordered the GTR style taillights which will be a first time install for me) and they've all liked how it turned out.

Also don't fret if the overlay doesn't line up with your taillight/headlight. Remember, our tailights/headlights on the G35 are curved, not flat like the overlay is before you heat it.

I'd rather apply an overlay to my taillights than have to disassemble them off my car just to paint them. If you don't like how the overlays look or if you get tired of them, you can easily remove them. You can't do that with paint...