Notices

LED Turning Signal Question for You Headlight Experts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Turning Signal Question for You Headlight Experts

I am getting my headlights retro'd with projectors. Littodevil is doing the job for me but he asked me a question I don't really know the answer to so I was hoping someone here would know. He was considering putting LED's for my turning signals and here's the question he had:

"I might have to reconsider the turn signal area.. due to the way how some of the G35's electrical system was setup.. I think replacing the regular turn signal with a led version might make it.. function weirdly.. there was a older coupe that I did with the led setup, and it only blinked a few times before it quit.. yet the same older sedan model worked fine as long as you put a load resister in line with it.

The thing is, normally.. cars would "hyper blink" when you install a led bulb into it. The reason is the led has a lot less resistance so the car thinks the "bulb is out" so it blinks faster and on the other light that still works on the same side, to let you know that one of ur bulbs is out. But .. from what I know, ont he G35, this is all done by the computer and if one of the bulb is out, it will actually "sound like it is blinking faster" while the other bulb that's still intact on the same side, would blink at a normal pace.

Do you know anyone with a G35 2005-2006 sedan that changed out their bulbs to a led versoin and experience a hyper blink? If it does that, then at least I can create a "fix" for it when i install the leds. But if it doesn't hyper blink, then i can't exactly tap into the ECU that controls the whole turn signal thing as well.

Well if you have time, if you take out one of your turn signal bulbs in your tail lights which I think is easier (it's not led's for turn signal right?... heh), and then turn on your turn signal and see if the front ones blink quicker or.. at the same pace and. .notice if blinking noise inside the dash "sounds" any quicker or normal."

Old 09-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Bump

Old 09-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
ive heard that LEDs in the blinker will blink super fast..

or in your terms they experienced a "hyper blink"

i think i read up on a fix for this..

what color blinkers are you looking for?

take piaa bulbs into consideration..ive used piaa (and still do) and i love them

Old 09-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I can't speak for the sedan, but on my 03 coupe, I replaced the rear turn signal with an led and it did "hyper blink." I put in a load resistor and it now blinks normally.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
yeh that was the fix..i remember now

a load resistor..

good luck

Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do not have a load resistor, you are going to blow out the LED also. With no load resistor there, you basically shove lots and lots of current through the LED as the only resistance the circuit sees in the forward resistance of the diode (which generally is tiny). This means you could be shoving amps and amps through the LED when it is expecting 20mA to function correctly. Bottom line... you can't usually do a straight drop in replacement of a bulb with an LED unless it already has a load resistance. Hope it helps!

Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 AM
I have 03 coupe and i changed my turn signal lights to blue led and it won't blink! i seems lik it blinks few times but it just doesn't work after.

And it seems like i need a thing called load resister... where do i get it? anyone? i don't see it on ebay...

Old 12-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you only need one resistor, a local electronics shop should be fine. I don't mean electronics like best buy, i mean DIY electronics like radio shack. Radio Shack will charge you 50 cents for a 2 cent part, but at the same time, if you only need one or two, its a better deal than going online because shipping will cost you more than the parts. If you need resistors in a large quantity, I recommend http://www.digikey.com To determine the correct resistor to get, you need to know three things about your LED's. 1) How many LED's do you need to hook up 2) What is the forward voltage of the LED (Vf) 3) What is the forward current rating of the LED (If) . The 2nd and 3rd points can be found on the datasheet for the LED, or if that's not available, ask whoever you bought the LED from. Then the next part involves a little math, but I'll try and make it as easy as possible. In equation form here it is: 14.4-((Vf)*(# of LED's))=Voltage drop across resistor. Next, Voltage drop across resistor/If=Resistor value you need (in Ohms). There ya go, a quick crash course in LED's! Enjoy!

Old 12-17-2006, 04:17 AM
I have hyperwhite for my 06 headlight for 05 coupe...it works fine with resistor good luck~!!!