Notices

04 Headlight Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Headlight Questions

Hey Guys,

I have an 04 6MT model and i just changed the low beams from stock 4300K to 6000K big diffrence. I am also gonna be swapping out the side strip bulbs to leds to match the low beams also the side markers.

Question is i know the high beams are halogen but is there a way to either swap this out with a HI kit so i get dual Xenon like the 06? yes i am aware i can swap out to an 06 Pod but i dont want to i like the side strip on the 04's.
I would just like to get either Dual xenon or atleast have hids when running just driving lights or flick on the high beams.

Second question to get rid of the orange amber filter i have to crack open the lights right? if so how is this done and what do i replace the orange amber filter with or should i say where do i get a clear filter?

Cheers!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To answer your first question, you could put an HID kit in place of the stock foglight/high beam however, you really shouldn't. That housing is not designed for HID's and would reflect alot of glare onto oncoming traffic. Please don't blind others in an attempt to have cool looking lights. One other thing to note.... I may be wrong, but, 03-05 coupe housings are known to crack I believe with excess heat and putting HID's might get the housing warmer than stock. You may run into an issue of potentially cracking the housing.

As for the amber reflector, its actually quite a bit of work. You will need to take the headlights apart and dremel out the orange piece from the surrounding. Then, you will need to purchase a clear plastic piece and dremel it out to the same size and glue it in there. Many people use fluorescent lighting diffusers which you can get at a store like Home Depot.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Well i am not trying to go for the "Cool Look" i would just like to have more light on the road at night, lot's of woodland creatures where i live and i dont feel like plowing into a moose. So if i could do Dual hids that would be great but if i can't with the 04 housing than i am sure i could swap to a sylvania ultra white halogen which should give off abit more light. i hope =)

And as far as opening thw housing i am willing to take on that taks just want to know what temp i should cook the lights at and for how long or should i use a heat gun?

Cheers!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You are worried about light output, and you swapped from 4300k to 6000k and lost 25% of your stock output? Isn't that counterproductive? Please don't be one of those douchebags that installs HID's in reflector halogen housings and blinds everyone else on the road and is a major safety hazard

Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i thought that the g35's have factory HID's even on the reflectors?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by WhosRich
i thought that the g35's have factory HID's even on the reflectors?
They do. The OP wants to add HID's in place of the foglights. On 03-05 coupes, the foglights double up as the high beam.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by SINNER_G
Well i am not trying to go for the "Cool Look" i would just like to have more light on the road at night, lot's of woodland creatures where i live and i dont feel like plowing into a moose. So if i could do Dual hids that would be great but if i can't with the 04 housing than i am sure i could swap to a sylvania ultra white halogen which should give off abit more light. i hope =)

And as far as opening thw housing i am willing to take on that taks just want to know what temp i should cook the lights at and for how long or should i use a heat gun?

Cheers!
Well, by "upgrading" to 6000K, you are definitely losing light output. However, most people think 6000K is brighter because of the more apparent contrast.

In regards to the baking method, there are a few different variations. One I have seen done successfully numerous times is heating the oven to 220, insert headlights onto a baking sheet, and then let them sit for 13-15 mins.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 AM
FIrst off thanks for the help, Second don't call me a douche bag, i am just looking for help and advice.

Nothing wrong with that.. All i am trying to get here is more light on the raod without disturbing anyone else driving, as far as i know my car doesn't have fog lights. Just driving lights which are the high beams and the low beams when the lights are turned on.

If the house of an 04 can be modified for dual HIDS plz let me know i would take the reflective house out aboviously

Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FIrst off thanks for the help, Second don't call me a douche bag, i am just looking for help and advice.

Nothing wrong with that.. All i am trying to get here is more light on the raod without disturbing anyone else driving, as far as i know my car doesn't have fog lights. Just driving lights which are the high beams and the low beams when the lights are turned on.

If the house of an 04 can be modified for dual HIDS plz let me know i would take the reflective house out aboviously

well, the low beam is the fog light! the 03-05 housing supports the H3 bulbs, 06-07 supports the H1 bulbs for the low beams. swapping the low beams with HIDs are not a good idea unless you are swapping the reflectors with projectors as well. PM IvoryGT, he's the lighting expect on this forum.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
lowbeam means the main headlight...not the lower one.

the high beam is the lower one..it's the foglight only in the 06.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by IvoryGT
lowbeam means the main headlight...not the lower one.

the high beam is the lower one..it's the foglight only in the 06.
+1... on both the reflector and projector style housings, the low beam is located on the top and the foglight/driving light is located on the bottom.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
You could always retrofit a set of projector lenses in the area that is currently occupied by the foglight/driving light. Then, you can safely run HID's. However, I hear of alot of issues regarding the 03-05 coupe housings cracking due to excess heat. I would think that having another set of HID's in there may create alot of heat. Please correct me if I am wrong. Myabe it would be better to go with a quad projector HID setup using 06 housings as a base.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Ok if you look at the 06-07 conversion this is what i am trying to get.

http://clearcorners.com/products/infiniti/g35_1c/

Minus the 2000$ price tag these guys want. Any help or suggestions i really want to get my lights up and running

Cheers!