Notices

Quad projector retro questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Quad projector retro questions

I'm in the process of procuring all the parts for a quad-projector retro, TL and TSX parts. I've got a few questions.

Currently, one bulb in our headlights is the low beam, and one is the high/fog. How do you people have your quads set up? Is the fixed-shroud your low beam and the bi-xenon the high/fog? Or did you wire it so the bi-xenon does low/high, and the other projector is for fogs? I ask because if I wired it to be like the stock setup, and I didn't have the "fogs" on but wanted to turn on the high beams for added visibility, I'd have that warm-up time before full output, which negates the reason of using the high-beams. I plan on soldering up the harness this weekend, so I'd like to figure that out.

Also, is it a problem if I have two right-side projectors, instead of one left and right?

Old 03-08-2009, 01:56 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Depends on which lights you are starting off with. If you're using 03-05 lights, which it sounds like you are if you're going with TSX/TL combo, then the lower TL projectors will act as fog and high beam. So yes, you'll need the TL projectors on first before you have a high beam. For me, it didn't bother me, because in Socal, I never used high beam.

TSX projectors aren't side specific, so driver/passenger side doesn't matter.

In terms of the wiring, you'll need a diode to keep the high beam on when the fog light is activated. Otherwise, when you flip the high beam solenoid on for the TL projector, the light itself will turn off. Since the stock H4 light is either low beam OR high beam filament, you'll need this diode to get low beam AND solenoid activation on the TL bixenon.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks E_K. I saw some of your work over on HID planet. VERYNICE!

I'm thinking of seeing if I can switch the wiring around so that the TSX are the "fogs", and the TL's are low/hi. It should just require swapping some wires around, if I'm planning this correctly in my head. The only problem is that the "fog" shuts off when the highs go on, so there's no way to isolate the fog to always be on, so when the TL switches from low to high, the TSX would shut off. I'd need a separate switch for the TSX "fog" that doesn't run off the BCM. I'll just stick with the regular setup, because I don't want any new switches in the G.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Pm Ttrank. He can walk you through it.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You can very easily swap the + terminal for the low beam vs fog light on the stock harness. It wouldn't be hard to have the TL be the low beam and high beam. But there will be no room for the TL in the top position, so you'd have to run with it in the lower slot. Not sure if that would bother you.

Plus, the TSX may not be a very effective fog light being in the top position of the headlight.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like should be a fun project, post pics when your done

Old 03-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by E_K
You can very easily swap the + terminal for the low beam vs fog light on the stock harness. It wouldn't be hard to have the TL be the low beam and high beam. But there will be no room for the TL in the top position, so you'd have to run with it in the lower slot. Not sure if that would bother you.

Plus, the TSX may not be a very effective fog light being in the top position of the headlight.
What's the actual vertical difference between the two? About 5"? I don't think it'll make that much of a difference, personally.

I never thought of switching the pins around. I'm just concerned that with that, when I switch to "high beams", the TSX "fog light" will go off, or I could wire in a diode but then it would always be on with the high beams, and since I switch back and forth a lot, I'd have to leave the fogs on all the time too. Ahhh, dunno what to do...