Notices

My Quad Projector HLs! :D

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... thanks for all the great reception everyone!

To respond to some of the above comments:

I am pretty comfortable sharing my solutions and findings with the community, mainly because the community itself has been so helpful to me ever since I got my G last summer! Plus, even if one knows all the ins and outs, it's still super complicated and time consuming, Luckily, I decided to start with the 06+ housings on the recommendation of IvoryGT. This helped eliminate me having to spend time mounting an upper projector because it was already done for me from Infiniti

Ya Rhino next time we meet up I can tell you all about it in person. I've come a long way from not knowing HOW TO TURN ON my foglights, huh?

Again, thanks everyone for the compliments. Since Bigd2k6 asked, I'll post up some more info on the mounting supplies I used. Oh, and I added a video at the end of the build section of quad hi-beam solenoid testing.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Ok here is a shot of the projectors before I cut them

Here is a shot with them cut so that they will fit over the hump at the bottom of the HL housing. Also note the screw hole that I will use to connect the projector frame to my custom bracket.

Screw through the hole on the other lower projector

Drawing out my custom bracket. It is made from a piece of "C" shaped angle aluminum. I bought like a 4 foot long strip of it from Lowes for like ~$8. I only needed a few inches though, but 4 foot was the shortest they sold it in. I will check the size of it later if you want, but basically you need a size that has a width large enough to fit over top of the black plastic mounting pieces [BPMP]. This is so that when you adjust the lower projectors from the outside, when the screw spins, the BPMP will stay in place and the pitch of your setup will adjust. Without this C shape aluminum, the BPMP would also rotate. Ignore the washer, I didn't end up using it.

Cut a hole 7/16" (i think) in the new bracket to allow it to snap into place onto the BPMP just like the original mounting points did.

Screw it onto the setup. I made the hole smaller than the screw so that it would thread on and stay in place.

From the side you can really see how the aluminum is shaped as a "C". Note the other piece of flat metal I used in conjuncture with the setup was really not needed at all. I just used it to make the hole mounting circle thicker. In the end, this was detrimental because it makes it very hard to remove off of the BPMP. If I did it again I would just use the "C" aluminum and see if its solid and stays put.

There were already some pictures of the lower shroud but maybe they were hard to see. Here is another, from the side. This is just temporary placement. To be honest, I do not have a good answer for how I mounted it. It sort of moves itself into place when you put the lens back on during the final sealing. I guess I kinda got lucky. I used some electrical tape on the top of it and a bit of hot glue along the back just to start it off correct though. It was there, on the lower projector, when I placed the lens+bezel over it. Keep in mind you have to mod and cut the bezel lower opening in order for it to fit around the shroud, and for the bezel to not run into the bottom of the projector housing base.

I used my extra sealant caps from volcom_koda's old 04 headlights, along with his ballast connectors (seen in the pic above). The ballasts were mounted inside the headlight. Another solution I'd like to try in the future that I never saw until after I was done was to use PVC pipe in leiu of caps, and just plug the end of the pipe with the ballast. Dunno how effective this is but it seems like it could be easier and also would allow the ballast to be accessible to anyone who commissioned this mod and didn't know how to open the headlights to fix it if any replacement was necessary.

I got all my extra parts used from the forums, in addition to the retrofit source store. matt (owner) is friendly and was happy to answer all my questions. I ended up having spare parts but it was fine because I can always sell them or do another mod. I didn't buy a 2nd set of 06+ HLs for the parts, but this would be an okay way to do it do, and it would be complete because you'd get the caps, connectors, bezel (which you need for the shroud) etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow. absolutely beautiful work man. VERY well done. I can see the time, effort, and precision you used in every aspect of the Retrofit. Looks flawless and oem. One of the best retro fit's i've seen by far. Great work!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe I am just now catching this thread. Nice write up. Glad to be there to help you along the way. I rec to anyone that is gonna do this project, to follow this thread closely. I think most of the time invested in this project went to color modding. It was time consuming considering the whole lenght of the project. In the process of building visibiliti's headlights, I built my own with color mod and I took my old projector lenses and put them in where my blinkers are. The projector lenses in the blinker spot help eliminate the orange reflection from the bulb, and it brightens up your blinker a little. Not to much to be a dick to other drivers though. Anyway, his took far more time than mine did, and turned out much better. I conviently had my old headlighs sitting after my HL swap, and they were just garbage to me, so we hacked away at them for parts. I even got the blinker harness from them to put in my 06 HL's. This is not our last project either. More to come soon enough!

Last edited by volcom_koda; 04-07-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by visibiliti

Ya Rhino next time we meet up I can tell you all about it in person. I've come a long way from not knowing HOW TO TURN ON my foglights, huh?
HAHAHAHA I forgot about that!!!! Yeah, you've come leaps and bounds from there bro. Again job well done.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
hey visi- great job! very detailed quality work!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:04 AM
looks really nce but i would paint the tips red

Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Good job man, really looking good

Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Curious where you got the threaded white pieces. Also are the threaded rods you used a longer one and you just cut it down to the size you needed? I have my set mounted using the reflectors, but I am also comming form a sedan so I dont have the top one already mounted, and I am using TSX/TL projecotrs, right now I have them mounted up inside the reflector housings, but have not done any aiming yet waiting on a bit warmer weather. I am debating going this route.

I am curious what size the rods are because if you have 3 of those holding up the projector, does it flex at all. I wonder about it sagging over time.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
those threaded rods are probably like long machine screws so they can hold up a fair amount of weight without bending. the reflectors can't possibly be that heavy so they'll definitely stay in place.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Very nice work!

Having done quad projectors myself I know the work involved, except I did mine in two phases over two weekends. It's so nice to do such an involved mod that you can enjoy all the time!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Gaw Dawg, that was some work... likes great man. Kudos to you for doing it yourself and not paying $3,500-$5,000 like some pay from other "SIN"ful companies... LOL

Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the props guys, it's cool to get feedback from some of the most active members of the community!

1siks2k... lol do they really charge that much for custom work? wowza!

ttrank, thats impressive that you knocked yours out so fast over two weekends. I took forever! and yea, everytime I drive at night now I get a huge grin

blk06x, I got the mounting materials shown in the pics at the top of page 2 from a local screw company called "Tacoma Screw". They had sooo much awesome stuff for really cheap. The threaded white nylon spacers are an inch long and I forgot what width but it's easy to figure out; the rod I used was a long piece of M5 threaded rod that I cut into individual pieces. M5 is the size that infiniti uses already inside the headlights for the BPMP to screw onto, so by using this it made my solution essentially plug-n-play. I re-used the ball joint screw from the reflector mounting also, it made the whole setup very clean.

And bigd2k6 was right, the screws hold it all up fine. It doesn't really sag either because the "ear" of the projector at the top is resting on the plastic housing, and the projector base is almost resting on the bottom too. Regardless, I have pitch control from the outside, so if it ever does somehow sag, I can just adjust it up. It's practically on lockdown though once I snapped it into place, very sturdy.

Night pictures will be up soon, I just need to get a driver long enough to aim my lower projectors up lol

Old 04-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
very nice work

Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 PM
so you think you would start doing this as a side project for more money if people sent you a set of lights and extra projectors? it would be a great opportunity to finish using all that leftover bracket stock instead of having it lying around taking up space. man, how i'd love to tackle a project like this on my own but kind of confused on the bending of shields, color mod, cut-off mod, shroud cutting and test-fitting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My Quad Projector HLs! :D