Notices

04 reflectors to 06 projectors... city lights question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2010 | 12:26 AM
|
04 reflectors to 06 projectors... city lights question.

I know this has been covered and I've searched, but I can't find my answer. I don't know what the hell I'm missing and this may turn into a very stupid/simple answer. Question is as follows:

Installed some 06 Projectors today and threw some luminics H1 yellow fogs as well as a 6-LED 194 wedge bulb for the city lights. Got them all installed and while installing I run through the functioning testing by turning lights on/off and then fogs, etc before I tighten them all down and throw the bumper back on. I thought when I would turn just the driving lights (side markers and what used to be the turn signals in the 04 headlights) that the city lights would then come on. Anyway, flip on the driving lights and nothing but the side markers turn on. What am I doing wrong? I'm no noob to this car or modifications to this car, but now I'm just perplexed.

If this is a simple answer I would love to hear it so I could initiate self face-palming.

Thanks folks.

Old 03-12-2010 | 12:28 AM
that happened on my friends car too, its like the city lights are suppose to come on the same time as the clear corners, but instead they only come on when the headlights or turned on all the way.

but when i installed my projectors, everything worked like it should, so im not sure why his did that.

Old 03-12-2010 | 12:33 AM
|
Strange. I don't get it either. What am I doing wrong here...

Old 03-12-2010 | 12:35 AM
Try turning the bulb an putting it in the opposite way, sometimes LED's will only work when placed in the shroud a certain way, at least that's how my 194's were.

Old 03-12-2010 | 12:38 AM
|
Makes sense. I thought about this a little while ago. Any other suggestions or is this a pretty viable solution?

Old 03-12-2010 | 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by MTG35guy
Try turning the bulb an putting it in the opposite way, sometimes LED's will only work when placed in the shroud a certain way, at least that's how my 194's were.
This is the most likely culprit, my license plate LEDs wouldn't work unless they were removed and reinstalled the opposite way.

Old 03-12-2010 | 10:58 AM
|
Thank you sir. Going to be annoying to take the bumper off and the lights out again just to get the city lights to work, but I got that job started and completed in under 45 minutes now (hand tools).

Thanks again folks.

Old 03-18-2010 | 06:08 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
You don't have to take the bumper off to get to the city light.. Go through the wheel well.. Jack up the front side of your car on that side just to give yourself room. Don't let the wheel get off the ground.. Turn the wheel all the way to the right, if you're on the left side, or all the way to the left if you're on the right side.. That will give you ample room to unclip the inner wheel lining and pull it down to expose the back housings of the headlight.. then you can reach it that way..

I agree. this is probably the most likely reason your LED city lights aren't working..

Hope this helps make it easier for you to flip them around.

Old 03-21-2010 | 01:00 AM
^ great suggestion, but its a PITA to get in there!! You seriously have to have SMALL hands/fingers

If using this route, I think the next problem is puzzling your hand/fingers into the back of the headlight and UNclipping that city light from the socket

Worth a shot though!

Old 03-21-2010 | 01:38 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Actually w/ the wheel jacked up to raise the fender well, you have plenty of space to get your arm in there.. I have pretty big arms and can get my whole forearm in there.. I know where the plug is w/in the fog light housing, so I can grab that.. Then when you have the bulb on for the city light, it's easy to look around to the front of the headlight, while your arm is still in the fender well, and see where you're placing the city light housing to get it aligned in the hole.. It's all about feel I guess..