Notices

Canadian coupes upgrading to projector headlights will lose DRL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian coupes upgrading to projector headlights will lose DRL?

Hi all,

I am wondering if any Canadian owners with pre-2006 coupes have upgraded to Canadian 2006 projector headlights?

From research, it seems that the US projector headlights introduces problems for Canadian coupes. To be specific, the DRL won't work without additional modifications.

Do the Canadian projector headlights have the same problem? Or is it truly plug-and-play for Canadian coupes with working DRL and turn-signals?

Much thanks in advance!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't have your answer, but I'm kind of curious as well.

Also, I think the main reason us Canadian people are buying USD projectors is that there is no dealership in Canada that will give us near as good a deal as say, Riverside Infiniti in the states.

You can order a PAIR form Riverside for $550 or so, plus shipping. Or, go to a local dealership where they want $600-$700 PER headlight. I often feel that people from Canada get the shaft when it comes to car parts (regardless of the make/model). *shrugs*

Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
yup correct, you lose the DRL and pick up another annoyance. Your left turn signal will hyperblink when the headlights are turned off. Everything works normally when you turn your headlights on however.

There are fixes for both issues, if you're handy with DIY search it up some more, they're on the forum here, I'd post the link myself for you right now but I'm off to bed

oh and I picked up a set of projectors locally in mint condition for $200, got lucky though that's a rare find.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I know a member on here who has done exactly that. I will bring it to his attention. his username is g35winnipeg

Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 PM
i just turn my headlights on while driving.....

pretty simple fix, just turn a switch on inside whenever your driving

Old 07-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I am aware of the problems mentioned by Adon, but I was hoping that it'd only be true if Canadian owners are getting their headlights from the US (like what Tabris said).

So g35winnipeg, just to confirm, you purchased your headlights from a Canadian dealership but experienced the same problems as with the US headlights?

Thanks again everyone!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
^ yea well if you buy your projectors at a Canadian dealer for God knows how much (i estimate clost to 2k) and if you have this problem, then you have the right to go back to the dealer and give them ****. Because what they did, is buy those projectors from the US dealers which are supposed to be destroyed and disposed of, but instead they are reselling them on the Canadian market making killer money off it.
If that happens bring them back and say I want these exchanged for Canadian spec headlights, it's obvious these are NOT Cdn spec if there is no DRL. I'd love to see a dealer employee try to argue his way out of that predicament, since they're trained to always come out on top of a disagreement. in other words BS out their bunghole in order to screw you out of every dollar

Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Adon
^ yea well if you buy your projectors at a Canadian dealer for God knows how much (i estimate clost to 2k) and if you have this problem, then you have the right to go back to the dealer and give them ****. Because what they did, is buy those projectors from the US dealers which are supposed to be destroyed and disposed of, but instead they are reselling them on the Canadian market making killer money off it.
If that happens bring them back and say I want these exchanged for Canadian spec headlights, it's obvious these are NOT Cdn spec if there is no DRL. I'd love to see a dealer employee try to argue his way out of that predicament, since they're trained to always come out on top of a disagreement. in other words BS out their bunghole in order to screw you out of every dollar
LOL I hear you Adon. Thnx for the comment.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
And I thought it was just the Infiniti stealerships on my side of the border that screwed their customers. This is a very good reason to avoid them unless you need warranty work. Privately owned independent shops are look'in better all the time!
Gary

Old 09-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Upgrading from the earlier reflectors on a 2003 coupe to 2006 projectors with drl is not a simple plug and play, some rewiring is required. The signal light hyper blinking issue can be fixed with rewiring the grounds which bypass the DRL module.

The DRL have other more serious issues, On the 03 headlights the DRL and high beams use the same light bulb (with a dual filament) on the headlight. The 06 projector headlights use a solenoid and a cover plate for the high beams so there is no light bulb for the DRL to use.

It doesn't matter where you buy your 06 headlights from, Canadian and American are the same (except for the price). 2006 and latter G35s the DRL are no longer operated with the high beams lights (which is the problem), they changed it to operate the DRL with the fogs.

It is fully explained here;
http://www.members.shaw.ca/wincana/G35CoupeLights.html

Last edited by TheG35Dude; 04-18-2012 at 09:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IvoryGT (07-23-2012)
Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the post... i had a lot of problems with the 06 US projectors on my 03 Canadian coupe... My projectors still dont turn on after taking it to 3 shops... one person says it isint wired properply, the other says i need a hid kit or replace the oem ballast, and the last guy told me the first guy reversed the wiring which is why the ballast seems like its burned but its not because not enough power is getting too it.

It's really been annoying and frustrating to try and get my projectors working....

I still need to get them running lol

Old 09-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Adon
yup correct, you lose the DRL and pick up another annoyance. Your left turn signal will hyperblink when the headlights are turned off. Everything works normally when you turn your headlights on however.

There are fixes for both issues, if you're handy with DIY search it up some more, they're on the forum here, I'd post the link myself for you right now but I'm off to bed

oh and I picked up a set of projectors locally in mint condition for $200, got lucky though that's a rare find.
I have the hyper signal problem as well. Is there a right up on how to rewire for the ground, any help would be appreciated thanks guys

Old 12-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NathanRed
I have the hyper signal problem as well. Is there a right up on how to rewire for the ground, any help would be appreciated thanks guys

Look here
http://www.members.shaw.ca/wincana/G35CoupeLights.html

Last edited by TheG35Dude; 04-18-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: updating url, sorry about taking so long
Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM
That link doesn't work this is really frustrating. I'm having the signal issue when the HIDs are off aswell after upgrading to the 06 projectors. Any write up regarding the ground wire will be helpful thanks in advance!

Old 11-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
bump, can anyone repost that link? it no longer works

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Canadian coupes upgrading to projector headlights will lose DRL?