Notices

Replace Xenon with Halogen Headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011 | 08:49 AM
|
Replace Xenon with Halogen Headlights?

Hello,

I've looked all over the forum and web, but can't seem to find an answer to my exact question and posted in another G35 forum here without realizing there was a subforum for "lighting" and can't seem to move that post.

I bought a 2003 G35 Sedan used several years ago. The headlights have the "haze" and "cloudiness" on them. I've tried everything to get them clean (mothers, maguars, etc) and can't get them clean. I think the haze is on the inside and there are some scratches now as I've tried so much to clean them. So, I need to replace them.

I don't want to replace with Xenon headlights if I don't have to as they are much more than halogen. Will replacement Halogen work on my car?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 11-29-2011 | 12:56 PM
If you are considering the headlights to be nearly useless, you could make a last attempt to clean them by removing the lens and using the restoration kits on the interior face. I don't know how well that will work, but the attempt would be cheaper than buying new lights.

Old 11-29-2011 | 01:44 PM
|
Thanks -- If it didn't work, do you think I could take lens from Halogen lights and just use that? It seems the Xenon lights are expensive because of the bulbs, etc. The lens' on both seem to be the same and would save me a little. All I really need is the lens I guess.

Old 11-29-2011 | 03:32 PM
Don't use the restoration kit on the inside of the lens. The inside has a special UV coating, and the inside is also VERY delicate. It's easy to scratch the inside with even a microfiber.

The G35 Sedans use D2R HID bulbs. These bulbs really aren't that expensive. You can get a brand new pair for ~60$. They produce a much brighter light than the Halogens too.

I don't know if they ever made a halogen headlight option for the sedans, but you can't put a Halogen bulb into a Xenon headlight. If your car was equipped with Halogens from factory, it would work.

But if your car was equipped with Xenon from factory, it just won't work. Multiple reasons.

1) The bulbs have different bases, you wouldn't be able to get the Halogen bulb to lock in place into the Xenon housing.
2) the Xenon bulbs have a MUCH different light arc and spread than halogens. Your light wouldn't be projected properly.
3) The Xenons are powered by HID ballasts. HID ballasts cannot power halogen bulbs
4) A g35 sedan that has wire harnesses for HID bulbs and ballasts cannot power a Halogen bulb.

I think there was more, but i can't remember at the moment.

In short, it just won't happen.

The ballasts are usually very expensive, but you can take your old ones from your hazy lights, and put them in the new lights. You can also take your old bulbs from your old lights, and put them in the new light.

All you need is a new housing.

Here, let me help you see why they are so expensive:
These lights: http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-Infini...ht_2046wt_1219 come with Ballasts AND Bulbs. Manufacturers charge out the *** for both of these. You already have both of these things.

You need to find somewhere that would sell you a XENON Housing pair WITHOUT ballasts or bulbs.

Try a junk yard, or i'm sure a vendor on here has them.

Old 11-29-2011 | 04:55 PM
|
Thanks. I had been looking at a set of Halogens on Ebay and was just going to try and take the clear plastic lens off. Any idea if that would work?

So far I haven't had any luck finding just the housing (no Ballast, no bulb)

Old 11-29-2011 | 04:59 PM
Yeah, they should be the same size. You should be okay with that. I think i saw some cheapies for little over 100 or something.

opening headlights is pretty simple. Just take your time, and remember, there are screws that hold the headlight lens on, as well as the glue that needs to be softened.

Old 11-30-2011 | 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by aa2033
Don't use the restoration kit on the inside of the lens. The inside has a special UV coating, and the inside is also VERY delicate. It's easy to scratch the inside with even a microfiber.
Good to know.

Old 11-30-2011 | 03:04 PM
btw sedans came with halogens