Notices

2003 g35 Fog light and keyless system issue

Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 g35 Fog light and keyless system issue

Hi everyone. My 2003 g35 sedan recently began experiencing issues with the fog lights and keyless entry at the same time. The fog lights have good bulbs because then highs work, but fogs dont turn on when I turn the switch. Also my car doesn’t respond to the key fob even after I changed the battery and also bought a new fob including reprogramming it. It seems like an electrical issue, but I am not very handy at cars and was hoping someone can give me an idea of what’s going on since both issues seem related to an electrical problem.

I appreciate any help.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:20 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There's some trickery about the fog lights that you need to keep in mind. Your headlamp switch needs to be in the ON or AUTO position before the fogs can even be turned on, if that's not the problem then you should check the fog lamp relay in the IPDM (fuse box with a cover on it behind the battery), you need to pop out the ***-snaps that hold down the plastic cover over the battery compartment, you can't just access it through the little battery window opening.

Check fuse 72 (15amp), fuse 73 (15amp), fuse 80 (10amp), and the fog lamp relay. Check out the FSM under section PG page 24 here.

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu.../Sedan/2003/pg

Basically how the system works, power is initially fuse protected on the control and signaling circuit, signal circuit goes to the SWITCH which then goes to the BCM. Control circuit goes to the RELAY and when the BCM gets the signal from the switch it closes the relay which powers the fog lamps. Canadian models have a DRL module that makes the system twice as complicated...

I would start by checking the fuses, if they work then turn the headlights ON, verify they are on, have a second person turn the fog lamp switch on and off while you sit at the IPDM with your finger on the fog relay and see if you feel the relay click, if not then replace the relay. If it still doesn't work then either the combination switch (fog lamp switch) or the BCM or wiring between those components is messed up which are lengthy repairs.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:25 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Keyless system ALSO failing is a bit of a problem since it too is controlled by the BCM, now you have two unrelated BCM systems that are failing... if you can't get the fog lamp working then it would probably be worth a trip to Nissan for a diagnostic of the BCM to ensure it's still working properly because it's one of those items that can quickly leave you stranded on the side of the highway if other critical systems give up the ghost.

Do all the steps of the key fob programming work properly except for the final step where you press the button on the fob to actuate the locks? Make sure you are performing STEP 6, that's when it finalizes the fobs!

https://www.autotalk.com/infiniti-g3...ructions-2178/

Old 02-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

I will be checking the ipdm box this coming weekend along with the fuses.

Coincidentally I’m also having random dead battery issues. Battery has been replaced and still experience it. I have a feeling this is all related to that ipdm box which worries me since that makes it more complicated than hoped for. My car has been reliable since purchased in 2003, but now these minor issues are causing huge head aches.

Im trying to not take to Infiniti since I’m sure it will cost a **** load to get diagnostic tests done. Also hoping to replace the car this year since it’s only worth a couple thousand and more repairs will just add up tremendously.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:04 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Take it down and get the battery load bank tested, it's probably just old and dead and in need of replacement. Old dead battery can also cause all those issues.

EDIT: Get your diagnostic done at Nissan, they're half the going rate and competitive with nearly every other mechanic shop.