Notices

Fog Light Replacement - HID look?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I just replaced my fog lights with the Osram Silverstars...

They are the same damn fogs that came stock...seriously. Every number on the old light is the same as the new one. If I was not on the ground, I would have dove out a window. That is why they do not look much different..because they aren"t.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:19 AM
-

Damn,

I did the same change & felt 30% brighter, I've got to check it this weekend,
I am taking the light off to install projector ones.

I'll be pissed if they are the same. Where did you get it from? Is it possible
the seller made a mistake?

Last edited by ma_sha1; 08-22-2006 at 07:20 AM. Reason: -
Old 08-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Stock Silverstars?

Picked them up at AutoZone. They are Sylvania Packaging, but are Osram bulbs...I will take a step off the ledge, because after a LONG look at the two (I think too long, because it was kinda hard to see afterwards) the New Bulbs did appear whiter (not a great deal) than the stock ones. May be a function of being new, vs 15k miles.

But, EVERY letter and number on the back of the new bulb was the same as the old one. I would highly suggest opting for the PIAA lights as the thread says above, because is a fairly dirty hassle for basically the same result.

Just a thought.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by JMAN44544
Picked them up at AutoZone. They are Sylvania Packaging, but are Osram bulbs...I will take a step off the ledge, because after a LONG look at the two (I think too long, because it was kinda hard to see afterwards) the New Bulbs did appear whiter (not a great deal) than the stock ones. May be a function of being new, vs 15k miles.

But, EVERY letter and number on the back of the new bulb was the same as the old one. I would highly suggest opting for the PIAA lights as the thread says above, because is a fairly dirty hassle for basically the same result.

Just a thought.
Did you install the Osram bulb on one side and then turn the lights on? That's the best way to compare, side by side.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
-

I think that explains it. You got the Sylvania Silverstar, although made by Osram, is not the same as "Osram Silverstar'. Somewhere there's post explains the difference of the two. The "Osram Silverstar' is Europian spec, it is not sold in US, you can only order it at a online uk store. "Osram Silverstar' is 30% brighter than "Sylvania Silverstar" by Osram.

I installed the true "Osram Silverstar' after reading quite a few post on this furum & ordered it from online uk store. It is a lot brighter than stock, ~30%
brigher is also my estimate. You might need to search for the older post.

Just a thought.

Last edited by ma_sha1; 08-22-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: -
Old 08-26-2006, 07:42 PM
-

The one on the left is Osram Silverstar<p>
The The one on the right is Sylvania Silverstar by Osram( This is the OEM Bulb)<p>

Notice the color difference? Th Silver top (Left) is 30% brighter.

Last edited by ma_sha1; 08-26-2006 at 07:43 PM. Reason: -
Old 08-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Looks familiar

The Sylvanias I bought look like the silver top picture above, and the OEM light looks like the right. I guess I will crawl under the other side and make them both Silverstars. Appreciate the info. The Sylvanias are really not that much different, as the thread stated several times above. Wish I would have know that the stock lights were darn near the same before hand. I should have listened.

Last edited by JMAN44544; 08-27-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:25 PM
The Sylvanias I bought look like the silver top picture above, and the OEM light looks like the right. I guess I will crawl under the other side and make them both Silverstars. Appreciate the info. The Sylvanias are really not that much different, as the thread stated several times above. Wish I would have know that the stock lights were darn near the same before hand. I should have listened.

Sorry for assuming the color could tell them apart, if your "Sylvanias Silverstar" also comes with silver top, then the only way to tell the difference will have to be the numbers:
Here what my numbers are:

Osram Silverstar:
Osram Bilux 64193 SUS Germany 12V 60/55W H4U 37R E1 00801 W5A1

OEM:
Osram HB2 DOT 9003L Germany Bilux 12V 60/55W H4U 37R E1 00801 W1T2

I wonder if the 30% more light I felt was because of switching to new bulb? Or there is a real difference between the two set of numbers. Anyone know what those numbers mean?

Old 09-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Ok well my girlfriends car had the stock HID's in the headlight I replaced the bulb with a 8000K d2r bulb, then the fogs didnt look right so I ordered from the same company the h4 8000k HID kit. With both lights coming from the same manufacturer the lights look identical when on. I got them from one of my distributors for $400 plus $20 for shipping. thats not much to upgrade the look of the front of the car. Plus all these bulbs you are taking about last about 6 months on average and then your replacing them, also if you not careful with what you buy you'll do like I did years ago on my Millenia, i replaced the headlights with hyper white bulbs and it melted my factory housing. With a hid kit you have a plug and play kit that is made to handle the power and fuses in place to pop if something goes wrong. We are all driving nice quality cars here, not some cheap fast and furious wannabe car. if you can afford to buy a G35, the least you can do is drop $400 and make it look and perform well.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by D-Money11
Ok well my girlfriends car had the stock HID's in the headlight I replaced the bulb with a 8000K d2r bulb, then the fogs didnt look right so I ordered from the same company the h4 8000k HID kit. With both lights coming from the same manufacturer the lights look identical when on. I got them from one of my distributors for $400 plus $20 for shipping. thats not much to upgrade the look of the front of the car. Plus all these bulbs you are taking about last about 6 months on average and then your replacing them, also if you not careful with what you buy you'll do like I did years ago on my Millenia, i replaced the headlights with hyper white bulbs and it melted my factory housing. With a hid kit you have a plug and play kit that is made to handle the power and fuses in place to pop if something goes wrong. We are all driving nice quality cars here, not some cheap fast and furious wannabe car. if you can afford to buy a G35, the least you can do is drop $400 and make it look and perform well.
I'm not sure where you're getting your info from but spending $400 for a cheapo HID kit with 8000k will not perform better than the stock HIDs. I've had my PIAA's installed for over a year and they haven't burned out. There have not been any instances of PIAAs or Sylvanias melting anyone's housings. I'd rather spend $60 on a pair of H4 bulbs than waste $400 on a crappy HID kit. Plus the fog light housing isn't designed for HID bulbs.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 PM
What bulb doesn't have the blue tint and close to OEM HID color? I currently have mtec with blue tint and I hate it because during the day you can see your foglight housing a bit bluish.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by .moO^.
What bulb doesn't have the blue tint and close to OEM HID color? I currently have mtec with blue tint and I hate it because during the day you can see your foglight housing a bit bluish.
You're going to get that with most aftermarket bulbs. They use the blue tint over the bulb to filter out the yellow light thus creating a whiter light.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:17 AM
How about H4 Super Plasma GT-X from Piaa?? has anybody tried them for the fog?

Old 12-08-2006, 01:51 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by Satoopid
How about H4 Super Plasma GT-X from Piaa?? has anybody tried them for the fog?
Those actually have a purple tint. Kinda ricey IMO.

The best PIAA bulbs I've had were the Xtreme Whites. Didn't cost too much and they closely matched the HID's. I don't remember if they had the blue reflection. Right now I have the PIAA Xtreme Force bulbs and there is the blue reflection in the housing that is very noticable.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:23 AM
So..plasma GT-X, Xtreme White and Xtreme Force, out of those 3, which one match more closely to the stock HID??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Replacement - HID look?