Notices

HID conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID conversion

there are a lot of HID conversion kits out there, but the only ones that seem reliable are the phillips and mcculloch brands. anyway, how smooth of a transition would it be to modify the entire lighting system that came w/ halogen stock? a halogen lighting system won't come w/ a leveler, so will that be something to look for in a conversion kit, or will it not be too big a problem. i don't want to convert from halogens to HID and find that my lights are bouncing around like a ping pong ball.. so, what's the best route to take when wanting to convert. i would just buy the bulbs, but want the actual benefits you get from having a true HID system. any thoughts?

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 12-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Re: HID conversion

what would i have to change to get the entire front lighting system into HID? fog lights and headlights?
does the g35 have separate bulbs for high and low beams or does it redirect the light from one bulb?

Old 12-11-2002, 03:58 PM

KongzGx: The G's headlight housing consists of 4 bulbs.
bulb 1 being the HID (2003.5 mdoels or 2003 w/premium)
bulb 2 being the foglight/high beam bulb
bulb 3 being the wedge bulb
bulb 4 being the signal lights

I hope this helps.. I think it helps...

<font color=green> . . : : pestilence : : . .
2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan .... sports/sunroof </font color=green>

Old 12-11-2002, 04:35 PM

i'd only have to change out the fog and headlights though, right? signal lights can stay as is and i'm not too sure what the wedge light is

Old 12-11-2002, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The head light assembly has two major reflectors. The top one is the low beam and on non-HID cars, uses an H1 halogen bulb. You can probably replace this with an aftermarket H1 HID kit.
The lower reflector is the combination fog/high beam reflector. The halogen bulb is an H-4 (9003) dual filament bulb. If you replace this with another HID kit, you'll probably have to chose either fog or high beam as its function. Though it may be possible to find a bi-xenon kit or bulb to fit, I'm not aware of one. One consideration about converting your highs to HID is that it normally takes several seconds for the light output to stabilize, so you may lose the 'flash-to-pass' feature of the highbeams. This is the reason that some cars are equipped with a secondary halogen system in addition to the HID high beams if so equipped.
The wedge bulb is the little one by the lower reflector. It is referred to as the 'clearance light' in the Infiniti manual. You can consider it to be a 'park' light. You don't need to change it, nor the signal light.

Hope this helps clarify a few things.

Gord

Old 12-11-2002, 09:23 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Gordgee, CATZ now makes a dual H4 system and another manufacturer whose name escapes me at the moment. Later.

Merlin.

Old 12-11-2002, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Thanks Merlin. I know I heard someone made one. But is the CATZ a true HID, or just a xenon filled filament bulb? I thought the CATZ system uses a special ballast-type circuit to increase light output of filament type bulbs. Most true bi-xenon HIDs use either a solenoid shutter system or actually move the bulb/reflector position to change patterns as far as I know, unless something has changed.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:24 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gord,
Check it out. CATZ and HidsKits.com.
CATZ still makes that other product that supposedly boosts the light output of regular halogen. Hmmmh, wonder how it would work with Silver Stars or PIAs.

Merlin.

Old 12-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Thanks, I'll check out he sites. I'd be concerned with the 'boost' and it's effect on the longevity of the standard bulbs. I've never read a review about this. I'm still wondering how the dual high/low beam works on an HID bulb. I'll have to do some reading when I have time.

Gord

Old 12-13-2002, 01:15 AM

Catz has two different types of lights. Both a true HID kit and a different kit which only boosted voltage going to regular halogen bulbs. The later may have been dscontinued since it seems pointless now wit the new hi/lo HID setups. Catz and K2 both offer hi/lo setups. To change out for HID you will need not just the "bulbs" (which are actually cartridges) but also the ballasts and ignitors. Philips and Catz make excellent kits but beware. Many companies package a Phlips ballast with cheap taiwanese bulbs instead of the better Phillips bulbs.

Dan
99 GS400
02 WRX

Old 12-13-2002, 01:16 AM

I think I'm ready to do a group buy on the true Philips HID kits but not quite sure how to go about it.

Dan
99 GS400
02 WRX

Old 12-13-2002, 08:55 AM

let me know if you do a group buy and how much it would cost doing it that way. i've been able to find the true phillips HID's online for around 700-800, but if a group buy will significantly lower that, then i'd definitely be up for it.

Old 12-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Guru:

How do the Hi/lo HID bulbs work? Hi/lo filament bulbs of course change the light source (filament)/ reflector relationship to give two different beams.

Old 12-15-2002, 12:36 AM

Yes they would be significantly less than that. The Hi-Lo setups differ but I believe they also alter the point of light so that it alters the beam pattern.

Dan
99 GS400
02 WRX

Old 12-20-2002, 05:53 PM
Administrator

I went to the local CATZ dealer today. The Zeta system that boosts output to filament-type halogen bulbs is still available for $350 CDN. The salesman said that it's supposed to boost the output by about 170%. He claimed that the lifetime of the bulbs does not seem to be compromised.
The new H-4 Hi/Lo HID kit goes for $1200 CDN with the 4300k bulbs and $1400 with the 5100k. It looks like the bulb itself is divided into an upper and a lower section, thereby essentially being two HID bulbs together. I didn't actually see the bulbs themselves, only the illustration. I'm not sure how this would affect the light output compared to a standard HID, nor how this design would affect the focus of your fog/ high beam patterns. Also, because HIDs typically take several seconds to stabilize, your flash-to-pass function of the high beams would probably be affected. Anyway, I thought I'd post this info to broaden some of the options available for upgrades.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID conversion