Notices

HID problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID problems

Hey all!

Im new to this forum and would like your advise on a problem I'm having. Like most of you I too was the victum of the HID theft plot out on the streets. They cut the inside of the wheel well of my 05 G35 coupe and took the darn bulbs. AS far as I can tell none of the wires were cut in the process thank God. I went on ebay and got me a set of new Phillips D2R bulbs and put them in.....here come the problem part....the left headlamp came back to life immediatley....but the right is dead. I checked for power at the socket and there is some voltage there....Im wondering if I have a problem with the ignitor? Im at a loss here....any help would defenitley be great.....I want to get this fixed soon as Im vulnerable for a traffic ticket for only having one headlight working.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe the bulb itself is defective. did u try swaping the working bulb into the other headlight?

Old 01-30-2006, 05:00 PM
If there is power going into the ballast on the side that doesn't fire up, then to make along story short, chances are good something is wrong with that ballast and it's not something you can fix conventically. You can find the replacement mau****hia ballast all over the place. I know I have a ton, but yea if you need another one just let me know.

But yea, you would rarely find a ballast or ignitor by itself, usually it's one set. The ballast on your G35 has a seperate ignitor and ballast setup but if you can get them both for like 100 brand new then why the hassle of trying to figure out which one went bad dealership woudl sell the parts a lot more expensive then 100 on just the ignitor or ballast.

Sorry to hear about what happen but yea, if there's 12v going in already, then it probably went dead... kind of rare since they are really high quality ballast too. Do you have a picture of the ballast and etc still ont he headlight?

And it shoudln't be the bulb since it woudl still arc and fire when the ballast has power going thru it. Even if the bulb is defective, the ballast can still fire and make a loud pop noise. Not that I suggest you to do that..

Larry

Old 01-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all your advise. I don't have a pic of the ballast, but I could get one I guess. I have been looking at ebay to see if I fins a ballast and ignitor. I know its not the bulb, regardless, becasue I tried it on the working side. By the way, if my setup is separate (ballast and ignitor) where is the ignitor?

I was wondering.....I found a relay and fuse box behind the battery. I hear a clicking noise when the light switch is turned. Is there one for the left and the right, or does that one that is clicking the same for both. I'm wondering if the right side went dead???

Again....Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by ayalar007
Thanks for all your advise. I don't have a pic of the ballast, but I could get one I guess. I have been looking at ebay to see if I fins a ballast and ignitor. I know its not the bulb, regardless, becasue I tried it on the working side. By the way, if my setup is separate (ballast and ignitor) where is the ignitor?

I was wondering.....I found a relay and fuse box behind the battery. I hear a clicking noise when the light switch is turned. Is there one for the left and the right, or does that one that is clicking the same for both. I'm wondering if the right side went dead???

Again....Thanks for all your help!
Oh yea i totally forgot about that... check the fuse for wahtever side headlight it's on.. dirver or pass, they have one for each.. it's probably in your engine bay in the fuse box, not hte fuse box inside your cabin.

The ignitor is the piece that silvery aluminum feeling piece that connects onto your bulb but it's connected to the ballast on the inside. I believe the ballast is the grayish round metal box.

Larry

Old 01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Larry Thanks so much for your help. I just got this off of Ebay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I hope that this will solve my problems. I think I got a pretty good deal!

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by ayalar007
Larry Thanks so much for your help. I just got this off of Ebay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I hope that this will solve my problems. I think I got a pretty good deal!

Thanks for all your help!!!!
Yep that's not bad, since blubs changes output and color overtime, try the one you have now as well as the one in the auction and see which one gives you the most even color and light output compared to the other headlight that hasn't been touched. Good luck!

Larry

Old 01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
sucks bro.... where r u located......?

Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 PM
West Broward County, Florida

Old 02-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Polyester Pileup FTW!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you get your problem solved? I encountered this once and it turned out to be water in the ballast where the plug goes.