G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Lighting (https://g35driver.com/forums/lighting-177/)
-   -   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03' (https://g35driver.com/forums/lighting/99235-put-05-06-gauge-cluster-my-03-a.html)

tom's_Z 04-13-2009 04:34 PM

Very nice! And I hope my pitails have arrived by the time I get home tonite! Also, since my G is fully paid for and not a lease, I don't mind cutting into the harness......I'll just have 4 sets of plugs instead of two. The job looks to be no more than an hour at best, once you get the diagrams straight - thanks to Alan for saving me all of the work.

Alan and Wyatt, thanks for all of the info.

tom's_Z 04-13-2009 07:49 PM

Wyatt, I just PM'ed Alan for the clock schematic......

aorbeta 04-13-2009 08:12 PM

Haha. Gotcha on the soldering. I solder everything. My Metcal is my best friend.

Originally Posted by tom's_Z (Post 4115275)
Great update Alan.....it's really appreciated. The main reason I don't want to bother with an 03 harness is that I am terrible with soldering....also, there is room behind my cluster for the two additional harnesses, so I will wind up with one harness with 4 connectors. Using optical connectors will be the best solution for me, because my ECU responded well when I cut into the wiring harness to install a piggyback.

As for the 03 gauges, I dont mind cutting them up since I am never going back! I have two clusters, and will try them both.

aorbeta 04-13-2009 08:14 PM

Yup, this is the route that I took. Just remember to purchase the proper set of gauges(auto or 6-speed) for the 05+gauges.

Originally Posted by visibiliti (Post 4116345)
Alan,

Your super post #215 is great. I think I understand exactly what you mean about the harnesses. I think that's the route i will take also because I am getting better at soldering and love doing things to constantly improve my skills. Also, I am a big fan of the final solution being "plug n play" and elegant. Over the next few weeks I'll start trying to lock down the clusters I will need.

Since I will keep my original in my closet or something, I'll locate 1 '03 set for the shell and connectors, and 1 '05+ set for the gauges and the harness right? Then i frankenstein the two harnesses together to make a "bridge" between my '03 car harness and the '05+ gauges yes?

aorbeta 04-13-2009 08:18 PM

Hey Wyatt,
Sounds like you're a busy guy. I'm just busting on you to take picture. You've got better things to do than shooting pics of wiring harnesses :) I hope the new job is treating you well. Congrats on the incoming arrival!! boy or girl? ever get the Stillen SC installed???

Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat (Post 4116519)
Hey Guys! (hey Alan!!!!!!!!! - I'll e-mail you to ask how you've been instead of doing it here. lol)

Oh man - holy cow - do I wish I had it in me to take apart that sucker and give everyone here some good pics - I'll see if I can. It's not incredibly difficult, but I can't even find time to wash my poor coupe with a 7mth pregnant wife at home with a 'terrible three' ("terrible two's" turned out to be terrible threes for us, ha!)

I had pictures (of the clusters and after install) that I'll see if I can find on my old computer and re-post on the image host site. That's probably the reason you don't see any of my pics within this post now (I had to clean those old pics off and upload the pics of the LMGT4's I had installed - for another post, lol)

Let me see what I can do guys - I can promise that I'll try my best to get everyone pics - but living in the real world situation that I'm in (work is nuts busy and then have to run home to help with growing family and try and get sleep), I can not "promise" that I'll be able to do it...gawd I wish I could though!!!!!! I'll fee HORRID if I don't help out on my own thread. Arrrghhh. When did I start this thing anyways. LOL. It's been year(s) plural hasn't it? A good and worthy project though!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

aorbeta 04-13-2009 08:20 PM

On top of the gauges and the new clock. you should also install the 05+ steering wheel. I did that as well, the buttons on the wheel are illuminated so it completes the look.

Originally Posted by tom's_Z (Post 4116640)
Very nice! And I hope my pitails have arrived by the time I get home tonite! Also, since my G is fully paid for and not a lease, I don't mind cutting into the harness......I'll just have 4 sets of plugs instead of two. The job looks to be no more than an hour at best, once you get the diagrams straight - thanks to Alan for saving me all of the work.

Alan and Wyatt, thanks for all of the info.

G35AA 04-13-2009 08:44 PM

I am willing to pay to complete this harness.

Please PM me with a list of parts required, and the price to complete.

I have an 04 Auto cluster on my shelf to use as a donor.

k@osx71 04-13-2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by aorbeta (Post 4117446)
On top of the gauges and the new clock. you should also install the 05+ steering wheel. I did that as well, the buttons on the wheel are illuminated so it completes the look.

How do you install the 05 steering wheel? I've seen DIY's on swapping the illuminated buttons but not the entire steering wheel~

aorbeta 04-13-2009 09:52 PM

Sorry G35AA. My work schedule is packed these days so I don't have the time to do this mod. Maybe tom or someone else is willing to produce the harness for you after they install their own.

Originally Posted by G35AA (Post 4117524)
I am willing to pay to complete this harness.

Please PM me with a list of parts required, and the price to complete.

I have an 04 Auto cluster on my shelf to use as a donor.

aorbeta 04-13-2009 09:54 PM

I thought there was thread somewhere on here before about swapping out the steering wheel. I remember seeing the thread where someone showed the uninstall/install and also how to tap power for illumination on the buttons. It was a pretty easy install. Hard part back then was finding the steering wheel at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by k@osx71 (Post 4117529)
How do you install the 05 steering wheel? I've seen DIY's on swapping the illuminated buttons but not the entire steering wheel~

tom's_Z 04-13-2009 10:42 PM

I comlpeted the clock swap with Alan's help, will post pics tomorrow! Looks HOT! Thanks Alan, and Wyatt for pointing out this mod to me!

G35AA 04-13-2009 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by aorbeta (Post 4117704)
Sorry G35AA. My work schedule is packed these days so I don't have the time to do this mod. Maybe tom or someone else is willing to produce the harness for you after they install their own.

I am willing to supply parts required and pay $100 for the mod to be completed neatly, professionally and guaranteed to work.

So with that, please issue me a listing of parts required to complete the wire harness plug and play mod. I can swap the 05+ into the 04 housing, I just need the wire harness / pigtail connector done for me, or step by step instructions on how to do it and I will attempt.

Any help is appreciated.

vietster 04-14-2009 12:36 AM

never knew about swapping out the clock, looks sweet! where did you guys order the newer clocks from? was it hard to swap out?

visibiliti 04-14-2009 02:10 AM

wait, if you mess around with swapping steering wheels, do you have to worry about airbag issues?

accordfreak 04-14-2009 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by visibiliti (Post 4118505)
wait, if you mess around with swapping steering wheels, do you have to worry about airbag issues?

no. you use your original airbag. just disconnect the battery before messing with the airbag.