G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Lighting (https://g35driver.com/forums/lighting-177/)
-   -   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03' (https://g35driver.com/forums/lighting/99235-put-05-06-gauge-cluster-my-03-a.html)

tom's_Z 04-16-2009 07:55 PM

Alan/Wyatt,

Did either of you ever look at the completed cluster and find out which wire corresponded to the + light? I am in the process of updating your schematic with the corresponding wiring diagrams for both cluster, but would like to have that info if possible....thanks!

aorbeta 04-16-2009 08:54 PM

Hey Tom,
That's one of the connections that I had to pin out with my multimeter as it wasn't in the service manual. I figured out which pin it was but I forgot to write it down. Sorry.

Originally Posted by tom's_Z (Post 4127946)
Alan/Wyatt,

Did either of you ever look at the completed cluster and find out which wire corresponded to the + light? I am in the process of updating your schematic with the corresponding wiring diagrams for both cluster, but would like to have that info if possible....thanks!

tom's_Z 04-16-2009 09:29 PM

That's all right Alan, I'll just have to dig out my old voltometer, don't know where I put it.

tom's_Z 04-19-2009 06:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
SUCCESS! I HOPE THIS CAN BE STICKIED!!

Thanks to Alan (Aorbeta) and Wyatt (WhiteonWheat), as they gave me the guidance and push needed to complete this! The cluster works PERFECTLY, and this will work for ANY 03-05 G, whether A/T, manual, navi, non-navi, etc.

Here is a rundown of what I did, but first let me post the necessary things you'll need to duplicate this effort.

1. 03-04 Cluster diagram (Now Posted)
2. 05-07 Cluster diagram (Now Posted)
3. Revised schematic Alan first posted (Edited and posted)

You'll need to print this before going any further....

tom's_Z 04-19-2009 06:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next, here are a few pics of the completed work! These are phone pics, but I'll post sharper ones soon!

G35AA 04-19-2009 06:45 PM

Just awesome!!!

Would it be possible for a list of parts required for this swap (with part #'s) to be posted?

tom's_Z 04-19-2009 06:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now here is a breakdown of what I did:

1. Picked up a cluster, 2005, with 43K, and for a manual. Make sure you know what you are getting before you buy (Navi, manual/auto, please make sure you ask) and make sure the wiring pigtails are attached to the back if at all possible (this makes it much easier to do this mod);

2. Took my 03 cluster and removed it from the dash. Click here for a removal DIY: https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...56k-ha-no.html

3. Took the 03 cluster apart, unscrewing all parts until I was at the cluster housing itself. Start with the two screws on the back of the housing, at the top, see pic. You will also need to remove the plastic covers and will need a phillips screwdriver and a flathead.

4. Take the cluster out of the housing and unscrew the two screws on the metal attachment on top of the cluster, see pic.

tom's_Z 04-19-2009 06:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next:

1. Unscrew/unclip the instrument panel backing from the instrument panel face. See the attached pics for examples of what you will need to unclip/unscrew. The speedo and the rev indicate also have two screws each that have to be removed, but it's hard to see where I circled them. Once you get the face off, there are about 6-7 screws attaching the electronics to the backing, which you must also remove, see pics.

2. Once you have taken the instrument cover off of the cluster backing itself, set it aside.

tom's_Z 04-19-2009 07:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now for the installation of the 05-07 cluster in the 03 housing:

1. You will need to remove 4 screws from underneath the 05-07 face, in order to separate it from the backing. See pic for you can see where the screws are located.

2. BEFORE you do this, you will need to remove the gas and temperature needles to get to the two lower screws. VERY CAREFULLY, bend the little detente that hold the needle in it's resting place, and let the needle fall all the way down, counterclockwise for the temperature needle, and clockwise for the gas needle, till it stops on its own. Once you see where it stops, mark the exact place the needle is resting with a marker, or like I did, with my wife's eyeliner pen, LOL!:icon17: The detentes (little sticks) are highlighted in the pic of the lit cluster).

3. After you do this, very carefully go to the part of the needle where it goes under the black center cover. Use a small screwdriver and very carfully pull the black center coveer for each needle off. If you do it correctly, you should only pull the cover off. Look underneath to ensure you are NOT pulling on the needle (the clear plastic part of it) itself.

4. Once you have pulled both needle covers off, next use the screwdriver to go underneath the plastic needle, to the part there it meets the metal pin that it attaches to. Take the screwdriver and very carefully put it under the plastic needle, and pull it up.

5. Now that you have done this, carefully pull back the plastic panels where each screw is, using the attached pic as a reference, and unscrew all 4 screws.

tom's_Z 04-19-2009 07:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
6. Next, take the electronics out of the instrument . You will need to set them aside for now, because some modification of the 03-04 back where it will be installed is needed.

7. Look at the pic of the back of the 03 housing below. You can see that I had to hack into it to make both plugs sit flush. You can use a dremel or a hacksaw, or pliers, or whatever you want. Keep playing with it until the 05-07electronics sit flush.

8. Once you have done, this, put the cluster back together doing the steps in reverse. You'll be dropping the 05 electronic guts into the 03 casing/housing. I also opted to modify my 03 plastic lens cover to cover my new 05-07 cluster. You will have to line up where the stick would got through the plastic and drill the hole. I used a very small knife to identify where to drill. It came out perfectly.:D

9. Next, you will need to use the 03 and 05 diagrams and the attached schematic (a few posts up, where I asked for the sticky) to start the wiring. I used optical connectors and wired into the existing 03 wiring using the schematics. It's a bit funky looking, but it cleans up nicely with tape and tubing to pack the wiring away.

tom's_Z 04-19-2009 07:33 PM

After that is done, just plug and play...whew! You can do the wiring like I did (splicing into the existing harness), or you can use an additional 03 housing like Alan did. Both ways will allow you to connect your 03-04 housing back in when you decide to sell, but Alan's doesn't cut into the wiring since he desolders the male connectors on an 03 cluster and uses that as the interface. This will be important for those who are leasing their cars, so please make your choice carefully. In either case, make sure your cluster comes with the pigtails on the back, as the mod will not be as easy to do without it.....you'll have to solder directly into the new cluster the way Alan did if you don't have the pigtails.

That's about it!! Any questions, e-mail me! Thanks.:biggthumpup:

tom's_Z 04-19-2009 09:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More Pics!:biggthumpup:

aorbeta 04-19-2009 09:54 PM

Sweet!! :biggthumpup: Good job man. Good of you to take pics along the way, something I was too lazy to do. :dunno:

Everything looks great, the gauges and the clock!!

tom's_Z 04-19-2009 10:13 PM

Thanks man. Couldnt have done it without your help......hope this finally gets stickied.

TXaaron3232 04-19-2009 10:26 PM

Toms z my friend......:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

This is my next project for sure.....with a bit of a twist :coolio:

Great work and nice write up!